Sign in to follow this  
dracer33

Possibly Buying XPlane 10

Alex,I'm really sorry you feel that way.Anything new is going to have some growing pains.Believe me as a long time flight simulation junkie,X-Plane 10 is well worth the effort.

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

Yeh I know. Tried the demo and I was like "how the heck do I set the controls?" I got the throttle, the elevators, the ailerons, and the rudder working at least.

If you got the axis set, you are almost "In like Flynn". The rest is easy, if you get one right, from now on it will be easy, and greasy.

Alex to set a button got to Settings/Joystick &Equipment/Buttons Basic. With the Basic Button page up, first press the button on your joystick you want to assign an assignment to, then with your mouse cursor click in the radio button you want that button to be. That's all there is to it. On mine I set the joystick buttons to the same assignment I had in FSX, ie. button 1 is for brakes; button 2, toggle landing gear; button 3 left aileron trim; button 4, right aileron trim; so on and so forth, whatever the button did in FSX, i set for X-Plane, that way I don't have to relearn a bunch of assignments. Makes life simple, makes life fun. Keep in mind you can set these joystick buttons to anything that you want to, and or change them any time you want to.

I

You can always download the demo first and try your stuff out before you purchase,The Demo hooked me.

I just found and tried the demo today. To be honest I have to say I wasn't really happy at all with it. Just the way everything works such as switching your plane/location etc. and the lack of an oppening menu, and the way you set your settings. I wasn't impressed, but since this happened and hearing all the good reviews about it I think I know where I'm going, not to mention all my add ons will work on it. http://www.prepar3d.com/

Not to mention $50 won't break the bank either.

Prepar3d won't be much different if any from FSX, also don't expect to get any higher framerates, you may get less.

Re the saitek vs CH. I found I liked the saitek more but I didn't like it enough. It is a steel tube but from memory after opening it there is a plastic bearing that it slides in. I have found that like a lot of this kind of stuff there is sticktion for these arangements which can make small movements a problem at times. I guess you have to keep it maintained.

In the end, although not realistic for all aircraft I went with an accurate center mounted stick rather than an yoke that is only realistic in appearance. I appreciate thats not for everyone, especially people who don't fly GA much.

I came from FSX to Prepared to XP10. After spending 6 years with FSX, 4 months with P3D Ive settled with XPX. It just seemed to fit me best.

But it may not be the best choice for everyone which is why having choices are good.

Rob

Prepar3d won't be much different if any from FSX, also don't expect to get any higher framerates, you may get less.

I've done alot of research with it, everyone that has compared it to FSX (that I know, or have seen on the internet) seems to agree that it's a much more stable platform than FSX. Fram rates is a non-issue for me anyways. I was born and raised MSFS so I think it'll be better for me XPX

It just seemed to fit me best. But it may not be the best choice for everyone which is why having choices are good.

I completley agree, XP10 did look very good, It just wasn't for me

I've done alot of research with it, everyone that has compared it to FSX (that I know, or have seen on the internet) seems to agree that it's a much more stable platform than FSX.

Yes, I should qualify my statement.

If you don't have any of the issues that some have like crashes etc then it's not really an improvement. They have fixes various bugs that some get and those guys are happy about the change when the crashes are gone.

So, if you have specific issues with fsx that you know p3d solves then it could be a good move. If you are just avg Joe running fsx without issues then it's not like you will feel like you are in a different, vastly improved sim.

When I moved from FSX to P3D, I occasionally got a crash in FSX, not often , but once in while when switching planes or moving to a new scenery location. Nothing bad, maybe once a week with heavy usage. In Prepar3d, I still got those same occasional crashes. Again, not often, and didnt really bother me, but they still happen and I think had to do with the tons of addons I had installed. One thing P3d did better than FSX was stop the blurry scenery. That in itself was worth it. But there is a lot of tweaking to do to get all the FSX addons to play well with P3d. That part was a real pain!

Rob

Comanche thanks for your input, I haven't heard that it helps with the blurry scenery that just made me want it a little more, because that just irritates the s%&t out of me sometimes.

Guest Antlab

I just found and tried the demo today. To be honest I have to say I wasn't really happy at all with it. Just the way everything works such as switching your plane/location etc. and the lack of an oppening menu, and the way you set your settings.

Sorry to ask, but did you try at least to start flying? Big%20Grin.gif

I ask this because i tried the demo of XP-10 for the first time about one month ago, after years with MS Flight Simulators.

I was a bit worried after having read terrible things about the XP interface and control settings. Instead I have to say that I found it quite immediate and simple to set. It's true that FSX has a nicer intro screen, but I think the important thing is the flying experience, you strangely did not mention that at all. Instead for me the fluidity and the stunning night scenery at KSEA has been real surprises, I almost immediately decided to buy the full version.

Anyway, good luck with your choice

A.

I did try flying it, and I'm not saying that was bad, in fact I thought it was very good. It's just the way the sim as whole was formatted just didn't jive with me if you know what I mean

@ Devin

It takes some getting used to, no question, but a little setup time and you should be able to make a nice experience for yourself. Speaking for myself, the increased stability of the sim is wonderful. I am putting alot of elbow grease into making sceneries for myself, but no more cfg tweaking...so it's a trade-off.

Guest bstolle

I think the important thing is the flying experience, you strangely did not mention that at all. Instead for me the fluidity and the stunning night scenery at KSEA has been real surprises, I almost immediately decided to buy the full version.

Same here.

The much improved flight dynamics in FLIGHT (compared to FSX and apparently P3D) made me use FLIGHT a lot...initially.

I bought the RV and the Maule but nevertheless it became very boring very quick and still it doesn't quite 'feel' as realistic as x-plane 10.

After looking at x-plane 10 in more detail I almost immediately deleted FLIGHT and bought x-plane 10 instead

IF MS is going to allow third party designers and releases an SDK, I will for sure consider FLIGHT again, but until then I'll stick with x-plane, maybe 'only' due to it's great 'feel' or even for developing (again)