Sign in to follow this  
Rush1169

Help Me Understand Steam as it Relates to Live and Flight

Like most of you, I installed Flight thru the Live system. Now Flight is available on Steam and some users have "reinstalled" Flight thru the Steam portal and I'm not sure why one would do that.

I realize some have all bought all their other games and stuff through Steam and just want to put Flight in their Steam library. I realize some people just prefer Steam over Live. But, I don't have any alligence to either system and I haven't had any trouble with Live. I've purchased all the DLC before Steam was announced, but let's assume I wanted to buy the discounted bundle. Could I buy the discounted bundle through Steam even though I've installed Flight through Live?

TY in advance!

Yes, when you purchase on Steam you get a redemption code that you use in GFWL, so there is almost no reason to install via Steam if you have in installed via GFWL already.

That being said, I installed it on Steam because I want my game library to be as consolidated as possible. I use the Steam overlay all the time and have a few RL friends I chat with via Steam. Using Steam does not replace Live in any way, you still have to log into Live when you start the game. It simply increases the install base (in a large way I imagine) and gives you an alternative place to purchase DLC, often at a discounted rate.

Yes, when you purchase on Steam you get a redemption code that you use in GFWL, so there is almost no reason to install via Steam

Perfect. So now when future content is available, I should at least visit Steam to see if they happen to be running a sale - basically we need to "shop" before be buy to get the best deal. . .

Absolutely, I would have bought the bundle for sure had it been available at launch.

Unfortunately I won't be able to wait for Alaska to go on sale on Steam :biggrin:

Yes, don't expect Steam to offer big discounts on launch-day of a new DLC. If you want to wait a while to get it, though, you can save some cash.

Well, if i understood correctly, i can purchase certain DLC from Steam and upon the purchase, i get the code that i later insert in Flight (which i didn't install / purchase via Steam), meaning i don't need to have two separate installations of Flight. Right?

Cheers

Correct Eevun, you actually redeem the code in the Games for Windows Live client, then it downloads and installs the DLC.

Correct Eevun, you actually redeem the code in the Games for Windows Live client, then it downloads and installs the DLC.

Thanks Enamel :)

Cheers

Steam also allows you to backup your game on an external hard drive. For those with slower internet connections or not willing to deal with reinstalling it on your computer, it provides an easy way to ensure that you reinstall your game without waiting or any hassles.

There is an option in Steam to "DO NOT update the game automatically" if you don't want to.

There is also the " always keep this game updated" option too.

So if for any reason you want to control updates to Steam games you can.

I've been using Steam for years-good system

there is almost no reason to install via Steam if you have in installed via GFWL already.

I will add my thanks to @Eevun's, Aaron @enamel. I loaded Steam a year ago to redeem free games from Maingear Computers and never really used it. I also was confused on the same questions as @Eevun. We newbies to Valve's ecosystem appreciate testimony and advice such as your's and @bloefield's. Please keep Steam advice coming.

My bio lists my location as Seattle but I actually live in Cottage Lake (near Bothell).

Glad to help!

I have passed thru Cottage Lake many times, my friend's family has property in Duvall. Nice area for sure.

For you new guys to Steam, it is a good idea to check it out every once in a while if you are just looking for new games to try out! They had DCS A-10 Warthog on sale last week for %50 off. And they usually have great bundles as well. I purchased all 7 Grand Theft Auto games for 12 dollars! LA Noire at 75% off for another 12 dollars, the Hitman collection for 7, plus a ton of other great deals that you just wont find anywhere else. (They have sales for all sorts of genres and publishers, i just used those as examples because thats what I purchased)

And dont even get me started on their holiday sales... :D

They had DCS A-10 Warthog on sale last week for %50 off.

Dang, sorry I missed that one - would have loved to pick it up at that kind of discount.

I have Steam already for another flight sim - will have to pay more close attention to their sales!

Thanks for the heads ups,