Sign in to follow this  
keithb77

Six Days Seven Nights

A largely forgettable movie, were the central character not a charter Beaver pilot...

Watched it at the weekend, supposedly set in Tahiti...but though I've never been there, that doesn't look like Tahiti to me, in fact those mountainous islands look familiar. And those Aloha airways 737s...

The credits confirmed it was shot on Kauai, as does Wikipedia:

"the films external scenes were shot mainly in and around Kauai in the Hawaiian Islands. The high altitude scenes and jump scene were all filmed in the NÄ Pali Coast State Park. The building that served as the airport terminal is still sitting in a field in Aliomanu Estates."

And of course Harrison Ford is a real-life Beaver owner-pilot, probably from this movie.

EDIT: Excellent 'Making of' article - http://www.studiowings.com/the-making-of-six-days-seven-nights

So, a few challenges for anyone with access to the movie - find some of the locations in Flight.

Sadly the beach resort shot was of a polynesian island.

Any other aviation movies with a Hawaii component (apart from the obvious one!)?

Cheers

Keith

I think Ford owned a Beaver before this movie, I seem to recall reading that he did all his own flying. Which admittedly was the only intresting part of the movie :).

Edit: Oh wait, read it, and found out that he got type rated specifically to fly the Beaver in the movie. But of course NOW he owns one of his own. As would any sane man or woman who could afford it :).

This just makes me wish even more for a Beaver in Flight.

This information might have to do something with that mission "Hawaii photo tour"! I remember clearly that your passenger guides you to a remote location where there is a movie set! If i remember correctly, the set is on Kauai and immediately after he directs you to the coast of Na Pali :))

Very interesting find Keith.

Cheers

Any other aviation movies with a Hawaii component (apart from the obvious one!)?

A large quantity of Vietnam war movies get scenes shot there, examples being the 1991 movie Flight of the Intruder and 1983's Uncommon Valor. I'm pretty sure the TV series Nam Tour of Duty was shot there as well, although other locations were also used.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

This information might have to do something with that mission "Hawaii photo tour"! I remember clearly that your passenger guides you to a remote location where there is a movie set! If i remember correctly, the set is on Kauai and immediately after he directs you to the coast of Na Pali :))

Very interesting find Keith.

Cheers

I'm pretty sure the guy actually says that it was a set for a TV series that is off the air, and I am pretty sure it is referring to "Lost" as that was shot right near Dillingham airport, from what I've read. If you've seen the show, I believe that is the area where the people already living on the island were staying.

Nah, that reference was to the camping cabins west of Dillingham on Oahu where Lost filmed. I've been there a few times myself.

http://www.lostvirtu...dman/index.html

I thought I'd take a break from Hawaii and watch a movie I got for Christmas. Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides. I thought some of the ridges looked familiar, then at one point Jack Sparrow was on a beach with an arch. I've rescued a few kayakers there, and was expecting to see a campfire and a yellow kayak. Unmistakably Honopu Beach.

Movie review: As Joe Bob Briggs would say, "Not much plot to get in the way of the action in this one." Good locations, decent costume drama, the mermaids were great.

Honopu Beach starts about 1:19. You can find the mermaids from the scene selection menu.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

I read that Corkey Fornef was the 'pilot' in 7 Days/6 nights. I also remember one of the talk show hosts asking if the Harrison Ford got any flying time in the movie. Answer - no, but I could have taken over if I had to.

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Yep, Corkey just confirmed he was Aerial Stunt Coordinator and did all the flying in 7 Days/6 Nights. (Fornof).

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

In the early 80s there was a short-lived TV series called Tales Of The Gold Monkey. The creator was Donald Bellisario, who also created Magnum PI. It was set in the South Pacific of the 1930s, possibly on a fictitious island, I really can't remember - but it'd be a safe bet that at least some of the exterior scenes were shot in Hawaii. It featured the daring exploits of an aviator and his Grumman Goose, no doubt capitalizing on the recent success of Indiana Jones (who was initially meant to be played by Tom Selleck, but whose Magnum PI schedule would not allow it).

Yep, Corkey just confirmed he was Aerial Stunt Coordinator and did all the flying in 7 Days/6 Nights. (Fornof).

Ray

Hmmm,...

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Tales Of The Gold Monkey

Good one.

I do believe some of the episodes are available on the net, not good quality but watchable....

Cheers

Keith

Tales from the Gold Monkey is available on DVD from Amazon.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

And (soon I hope) at Lovefilm, so my subscription will be some use again...

Thanks for the heads up

From http://www.johnkenne...GoldMonkey.html

A second unit was assigned to film exteriors and the flying sequences of the Goose in Hawaii to provide further authenticity.

And the opening credits are on youtube -

And the mechanic was named Corky!

Cheers

Keith

A second unit was assigned to film exteriors and the flying sequences of the Goose in Hawaii to provide further authenticity.

Lemme guess... that second unit came back with a whole 27 seconds of footage, which was then recycled ad nauseum. :lol:

But thanks for the replies, I've now got it on order. :Peace: