Sign in to follow this  
RustyFlyer

Sale vs. Missing Library Files & CTD's

(The title should really read "Sale vs. Missing Library Files & CTD's")

Hi there,

I'm giving some thought to purchasing one or two Orbx sceneries during the sale, but I have the following conern:

I've come across several threads that make mention of FSX CTDs being caused by, in many instances, missing library files. I am aware of the addition that can be made to the fsx.cfg file that provides for the FSX alert thereof. I have also come across a few threads indicating that several of the Orbx scenery packages demonstrate this condition of missing library files, and that this has resulted in CTDs when flying in and around selected areas within the respective Orbx sceneries. I understand that some packages are less characterized by these omissions than others are. My concern is that I might purchase the one or two that might be less favorable to my system and that might lead to CTDs. I have read in these forums and at another that a similar condition affects the recently released Vancouver +3 scenery package, but that the designers have acknowledged the anomalies and are preparing to address them. [Once they are addressed, then I'll look forward to adding it to my setup (but not until then); I think Holger is a terrific & knowledgeable designer, and I really love his Tongass X package!] This is somewhat relevant because of the complimentary nature of the two/three packages.

Can anyone steer me away from, & identify, those Orbx packages that I should avoid if I want to stay away from missing-library-entry-initiated CTDs?

Thanks a bunch, Rusty

i7-12700K; GF RTX 3080Ti 12 GB; MSI Z690 MB; 32 GB DDR5 4800Mhz (16x2); 850W 80+ Gold PS; 1 TB M.2 NVMe SSD + 2 TB HDD @ 7200 + Kingston 4TB XS2000 USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 Ext. SSD (for MSFS & all games); 240 mm liquid cooler; LG 32UD59-B 32" UHD 4K; Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS stick; wired conn. to rtr. (500 Mbps); W11 Pro

Rusty most are pretty complete and not a huge factor anymore for each airport. You can honestly buy anyone. The missing library files that were there were all corrected. There is currently only 3 missing library files accidently removed from the latest library files that were made available I think about 2 weeks ago, and they will fix that in the next library file release.

These 3 outstanding library files are in PNW package and very small objects so your machine will not even notice it and I am pretty sure not cause a CTD. It is when there are huge number of library files missing that machines to get CTD, like at Vashon where the were over 10 library files missing for that one specific airport in a limited to a very small area.

The PNW missing files is over large area and very small object as I said. One it being some grainmachine used in the fields, and it is used very little, so you should be fine..!!

ORBX already said they will fix it then everything is back 100%. as or the airports, they all 100%. so go ahead..! get anything

so go ahead..! get everything

Everything US anyway. :good:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Thanks much, folks! I look forward then to adding one or two to my collection :).

Cheers, Rusty

i7-12700K; GF RTX 3080Ti 12 GB; MSI Z690 MB; 32 GB DDR5 4800Mhz (16x2); 850W 80+ Gold PS; 1 TB M.2 NVMe SSD + 2 TB HDD @ 7200 + Kingston 4TB XS2000 USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 Ext. SSD (for MSFS & all games); 240 mm liquid cooler; LG 32UD59-B 32" UHD 4K; Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS stick; wired conn. to rtr. (500 Mbps); W11 Pro

The title should really read "Sale vs. Missing Library Files & CTD's")

There you are. Done.

Did Vashon ever get fixed?

I never did install it again.....

Yes vashon that created so much chaos was corrected. I have vashon installed and I fly with the "missing library alert" setting ON and I am not getting any problem around vashon at this stage (week ago I flew to bremmerton and actually went past vashon very closely and experience nothing), but I know there are still a lot of people who have been burned with vashon and the CTD, so I can understand that there would be people with concerns. I never experienced the CTD at vashon as I was never flying in that region as I tried to miss the seattle area completely (old machine- FPS) so I just meandering around darrington most of the time or way south to oregan, so I never uninstalled and reinstalled vashon, it was there all along, but I must admit if it happened to me I would also be a bit hesitant to re-install.

Everything US anyway. :good:

+1 :Peace:

geesh been ages that I last flown down under..!!

ORBX = AUS

so when I flew Aus I just know I now fly ORBX and I hate every moment of it, even if it is really good.. Aus and ORBX just do nOt do it for me.

When I flew PNW the association that it is ORBX, is a bit more distant

I fly PNW a lot and haven't had any CTD since Peter's FSUIPC fix, such a great help to FSX that was.

--John near KPAE

I fly PNW a lot and haven't had any CTD since Peter's FSUIPC fix, such a great help to FSX that was.

That was for sure one of this year FSX highlights, I admit.. absolutely one of the best ever fixes for FSX..!! i wish I can go and give him some plaque for recognition for what he have done to get these CTD out the way..!

That was for sure one of this year FSX highlights, I admit.. absolutely one of the best ever fixes for FSX..!! i wish I can go and give him some plaque for recognition for what he have done to get these CTD out the way..!

Yeah I will definitely hope he gets nominated for the best FSX add-on of 2012. It was also very generous of Pete to add that to the free version so we all could benefit from it without registering.

I actually went and registered FSUIPC as a thanks for the CTD fix, never thinking I needed the registered version before, but now that I have it, I found I use it a lot for the aircraft specific joystick/throttle profiles, it is so nice to jump from an airplane to a helicopter and have the throttle/collective axis automatically reverse, it has made me fly helicopters much more often being that I am a lazy person and that step to go to reverse the controls would often make me avoid a helicopter flight :LMAO:

I think many scenery designers (Orbx/Aerosoft etc) probably owe many continued sales of their sceneries to the FSUIPC CTD fix.

--John near KPAE

Same here. FSUIPC has cured my G3D.dll errors.... P3D needs to hire Peter! :biggrin: