Sign in to follow this  
Kosta

GTX580 vs GTX680 comparison

I must yet again go against the stream apparently and say that with 2x SGSS I'm *not* GPU limited at KLAX, except if I load whole bunch of clouds...

Every system is different Srdan.

Just because it isn't for you, doesn't mean it isn't for others...

I disagree. Same card, basically same CPU, same mobo... I see no reasons for differences really. I don't think your settings are that much different than mine.

I disagree. Same card, basically same CPU, same mobo... I see no reasons for differences really. I don't think your settings are that much different than mine.

Well, is every thumbprint the same? Think of it that way....

Sorry to butt in and ask something slightly off topic, but I have everything set as per Word Not Allowed's tweak except for 1/2 VS which I have set to "forced on" simply because FPS drop too low at large airports like FSDT KLAX.

Why do I do better with stutters setting NI to "enhance" not "override" ?

Stutters are noticably decreased to almost zero when setting "enhance the application"

I'm using a gtx590 and wondering if the 2 side by side cards are slowing my potential down in FSX compared to a single 580. Do I assume my 590 is SLI therefore I need to setup NI to SLI which is something not tested by Word Not Allowed.

BTW if you have not noticed I know nothing about computers and would have stopped flying FSX if it wasn't for folks like you guys helping.

thx

IM

Don't forget drivers as well ;o)

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Don't forget drivers as well ;o)

Yes, that was exactly what I was aiming for. Hardware is the same. The problem lies in the software usually, if there is a problem. And if the problem is in the software, it's changeable. But the problem is not in the product obviously.

Well, is every thumbprint the same?

No, but we are also not assembly line manufactured. Or do you want to claim something different for yourself? Big%20Grin.gif

No, but we are also not assembly line manufactured.

:LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:

How about multi-monitor support on the 680 for FSX? How good is it? It's better than what was on the 580.

RH

Hmm...can't say I've come to a conclusion if it's worth also replacing my 480 with a 580 or if I should only aim for the new CPU...hmm...

Richard Åsberg

Hmm...can't say I've come to a conclusion if it's worth also replacing my 480 with a 580 or if I should only aim for the new CPU...hmm...

If you are looking for the absolute BEST framerate. - Get an Intel Core i7 2700K and a GTX580 or 680 (just depending on if you can afford the 680)

If you are looking for the absolute BEST framerate. - Get an Intel Core i7 2700K and a GTX580 or 680 (just depending on if you can afford the 680)

That's exactly what I did. As an update to what I said earlier, I've overclocked my 2700K to 4.9GHz. I can take it to 5GHz, but it hangs in prime 95, and the temps climb really fast. But @ 4.9 I can run prime 95 with temps just peaking at 71 Celsius.

Basically have not dropped any of my add-ons in yet, (three tweaks in the cfg and ENB series only) I'm just going through the FSX missions to put the 680 through it's paces. The heavy hitters are usually "Tokyo Executive Run" "Monsoon approach" and "Oil Rig Transport". Guess what? I don't see ANY perf issues with those missions. As far as vanilla FSX goes, you can't ask for anything more.

That's exactly what I did. As an update to what I said earlier, I've overclocked my 2700K to 4.9GHz. I can take it to 5GHz, but it hangs in prime 95, and the temps climb really fast. But @ 4.9 I can run prime 95 with temps just peaking at 71 Celsius.

Well...guess most of us are always looking for the absolute best possible FPS and if I know myself I'll probably end up with both the CPU and GPU in the end. Haven't done much to my PC in quite some time now so maybe I could use that as an excuse to myself also getting the new GPU :wink:

Sorry if you already mentioned it but what kind of cooling solution are you using when running your 2700k @ 4.9? And what about your GPU, just stock cooler on that one and did you have a 580 or a 680? As I understood it the difference between these two in FSX is minimal and maybe the 580 even is the preferred one at least at the moment before the drivers catches up for the 680.

Richard Åsberg

Well...guess most of us are always looking for the absolute best possible FPS and if I know myself I'll probably end up with both the CPU and GPU in the end. Haven't done much to my PC in quite some time now so maybe I could use that as an excuse to myself also getting the new GPU :wink:

Sorry if you already mentioned it but what kind of cooling solution are you using when running your 2700k @ 4.9? And what about your GPU, just stock cooler on that one and did you have a 580 or a 680? As I understood it the difference between these two in FSX is minimal and maybe the 580 even is the preferred one at least at the moment before the drivers catches up for the 680.

For the CPU Corsair H100. I usually scrape off the TIM that sometimes come on aftermarket CPU coolers, and use arctic silver, but this time I just left alone and used what Corsair had already applied. Yeah, I was lazy..... :D

If you do decide to go this route I'd suggest using a quality TIM solution from the start, as you will always wonder if temps could be better, when you start OCing the CPU. I may at some point re-seat the block and OC to 5.0GHz just to see if there is any variation in temps and stability under load.

As far as the GPU, its the EVGA GTX680 superclocked with the stock fan. No overclocking other than how it comes out of the box.

http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=02G-P4-2682-KR

Funny you mention it because I've always used Arctic Silver myself. Just as you suggest I've sometimes been tempted to use the TIM not having to mess around with Arctic Silver but then I thought just as you say that I'll probably regret it afterwards and start wondering what the temps would have been with Arctic Silver instead of the included TIM.

So yes...I'm pretty sure I'll be using Arctic Silver this time too :smile: Speaking about Arctic Silver, I think I have some left, is there a 'use before date' on Arctic Silver or are you good to go as long as the tap has been securely closed?

Richard Åsberg

Shelf life on TIM is roughly two years only because the compounds tend to seperate over time. You can of course use a syringe and re mix it. Usually, I just get a new tube/syringe of TIM with every new PC build. I'd imagine as long as the cap is secure, it should be fine.