Sign in to follow this  
aceridgey

Tutorial - Please!

My brother (a pilot) says he turns on vent and pitot heat before take off, or at final check before turning onto active (un-towered), in whatever he's flying. Sometimes they can burn up/out on ground opps/taxi. He turns them on regardless of weather, or ground OAT... and turns them off after landing.

Kurt, HawkDSL,

Thank you for the pitot explanations. So if I understand correctly, they are used on pilot's discretion. Meaning some pilots (not hawkdsl's brother) use them only in certain weather or reaching certain temperature ?

Good day.

Souheil Al-Mallah

Souheil,

They're used at pilot's discretion, and turned on right before takeoff then turned off immediately after landing.

That said, I agree with Hawk's brother...it's a good idea to have the pitot heat on throughout all your flights.

Best Regards,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

Pinner, Middx, UK

Beta tester for PMDG J41, NGX, and GFO, Flight1 Super King Air B200, Flight1 Cessna Citation Mustang, Flight1 Cessna 182, Flight1 Cessna 177B, Aeroworx B200

just wanted to say this tutorial for me is GOLD, thanks for your hard work it was done wonderfully

The great thing about having a real pilot around is the knowledge they have about the aircraft.

Just to set the record straight -- I am not a "real pilot", I'm a regular simmer with a genuine love for King Airs. What I know (and that's limited) has been gleaned from reading real world manuals and from paying attention when real King Air pilots were talking. I was fortunate enough to be invited to participate in testing the Aeroworx B200, mostly because I was helpful in their forum. I learned a lot about B200s while I was working with the Aeroworx team, and since I feel like it's only fair to offer something back to the hobby that's given me so much enjoyment, I was only too happy to put together the tutorial.

I am very glad it's been so helpful.

Best Regards,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

Pinner, Middx, UK

Beta tester for PMDG J41, NGX, and GFO, Flight1 Super King Air B200, Flight1 Cessna Citation Mustang, Flight1 Cessna 182, Flight1 Cessna 177B, Aeroworx B200

S.mellah.

The main reason for turning on the heat, regardless of the Outside Air Temperature on the runway, is that as you climb... it gets cold... really cold.... dropping an average of 5 to 7 degrees per 1000 feet. You could find yourself in icing conditions real fast. Like Bob explained in the Tut... If you wait to turn on the windshield heat, a cold soaked shield my crack. Not a good idea in a pressurized cabin. Pit tubes and vents are really important as you know... So having those heated up before you hit a moist cold spot will save you allot of trouble.

thanks for this nice Tutorial.Pleasure to read it and very Helpful.

Much more better than the Carenado's documentation ..

So if I understand correctly: pitot heat and fuel vents are used together. At pilot discretion but it make sense to turn them on before take off.

What about prop anti-ice and engine anti-ice ? Should they be turn on as soon as entering clouds in negative temperatures ?

And if so, is engine iced or prop iced simulated ? I guess not. Only pitot iced is...right ??!!

Thanks for your valuable help understanding this whole ice thing.

Souheil Al-Mallah

Hello dear Kurt,

just wanted to say a BIG thank you for giving us this great tutorial! Makes mee feel like back in the good old times with our B200 with Henning and you and all the others! :Peace:

Just one question I have here:

After running up the engines WITH Engine Anti ice on .... standing on Ramp with Power flight idle and condition low idle, I get about (besides the N1 66%) 146 trq per engine ... so is that correct? I saw some few reallife videos where you could see a trq of about 210 per engine in the very same condition ... could that be that these might be the more powered PT6 with with higher trq - limits like with the C90 GT / GTx / GTi ? Can anyone confirm?

Andy,

Yeah...it takes me back, too! You're seeing the correct N1 for this model...apparently FSX has a lower N1 limit of 63%, and I'm guessing some compromises had to be made on top of that to get the best overall performance. I see about 130 ft/lbs torque at the point you describe, but close enough. I wouldn't expect an FSX add-on to exactly match a particular real-world aircraft's performance, so it is what it is. In any case, you'll see variances from airplane to airplane, too.

Best Regards,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

Pinner, Middx, UK

Kurt,

thanks for clarification! Just wanted to be sure to have the correct calibrated setup here and got bit confused by these vids ... so we are good to go :Hug:

This is the most excellent tutorial I have seen to date. Thanks a million. All too often, read that to mean "usually", such great flight configuration setting information is missing and left to experimentation. Just watch some of the countless youtube videos of flights and landings for a particular FSX aircraft and you'll see all sorts of unorthodox settings and techniques. I remember when subLogic's ATP:Flight Assignment was released in the early '90's. It included a QRH (Quick Reference Handbook) with basic configuration settings for each of the handful of aircraft types included. Takeoff, initial cruise, climb to cruise, cruise, descent, maneuvering, approach, and final approach configurations. It added so much benefit to that particular sim and was the basis for a lot of online exchange. For the work you did here I express genuine and great appreciation.

One issue that did throw me for a while was the following:

"Activate the flight plan in your GPS. If you have the RXP GNS430 installed, use the procedures outlined in the instructions for that unit. The flight plan should now be displayed on both the Avidyne EX500 MFD and the GPS unit below it."

I routinely configure my flight plans in the RXP GPS's and have quite a few saved for recall (RXP). I couldn't find any evidence of the flight plan on the EX500. I guess I expected crossfeed of the flight plan from the RXP 430. It took me a few tries before I decided to save the flight plan from the RXP 430 to FSX and then load it into FSX. The tutorial is missing an explanation of that step. Fine for those of us who are experienced with the process, but a necessary step to include in the tutorial for those less familiar with the flight plan exchange from RXP to FSX.

-FP

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

FP,

I just made another flight to make sure...the way I described it in the tutorial is how it works for me. Activating the flight plan in the RXP GNS 430 will cause the flight plan to be displayed in the Avidyne.

Best Regards,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

Pinner, Middx, UK

FP,

I just made another flight to make sure...the way I described it in the tutorial is how it works for me. Activating the flight plan in the RXP GNS 430 will cause the flight plan to be displayed in the Avidyne.

I think there may be some confusion here. If you have the 1.6 (beta) version of thr RXP series, and you configure the .INI file correctly, the flight plan will display on the Avidyne. Look at the thread from Bert Pieke about RXP integration.

KayDub

Thanks, KayDub...that's correct. I was informed that the 1.6 version of the RXP GNS units would be released soon, and so I accepted it. I recommend contacting Bert via PM to see if he'll pass along the link for it.

Edit: Aaaand it seems that 1.6 has been released: http://www.simforums.com/forums/rxp-gns-v16-released_topic41997.html

Best Regards,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

Pinner, Middx, UK