Sign in to follow this  
kittyatyi

What the heck... Is it the apocalypse?

A bit off topic, but many knowledgeable folks gather here, maybe someone can help me out...

I think it's the first time I am flying out of ENGM (Oslo Gardermoen), and most probably, the last.

As I am flying the TOR6B SID after taking off from RW01R, I started to notice weird spikes all around me. The first one appeared around RUVAS intersection, but that was just a slim spike. But many other, bigger, taller ones followed, seriously jeopardizing the safety of the flight...

But seriously, is it only happening to me or is it a known bug with the mesh? I am not using any third party mesh for the area.

Here it is...

Zsolt,

I experienced the same phenomena some time ago in FSX (only the inverse of what you have pictured) while flying over Death Valley, California in the NGX. The "spikes" I saw were from ground level down, like a bottomless pit. On a subsequent flight I couldn't reproduce the problem. I thought it might be a memory issue, but I don't know for sure.

Running out of memory is invariably the cause of that, probably a glitch where you GFX card failed to dump its RAM and ran out of room for new data.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Okay, so it's not necessarily a constant terrain mesh issue. Never ever experienced this - and since most of Norway is north of the SRTM coverage, I thought it's an elevation issue, but I am happy it's not, so I can fly there next time, hopefully, without those glitches.

Thank you for your inputs guys!

Okay, so it's not necessarily a constant terrain mesh issue. Never ever experienced this - and since most of Norway is north of the SRTM coverage, I thought it's an elevation issue, but I am happy it's not, so I can fly there next time, hopefully, without those glitches.

Thank you for your inputs guys!

And I though it was a concentrated band of rain! LOL. I hope it doesn't crop up too much for you.

And I though it was a concentrated band of rain! LOL. I hope it doesn't crop up too much for you.

Lol:-)

I saw a post long time ago saying it is the clouds going crazy. Known problem but one of the small flaws inside FSX that shows up on random. Not that often luckily. FSX is creating all the frames itself and FSX was far from finished when

MS closed it down. They had a very long todo-list. The only thing a graphic card can do with FSX is enhance AA and all that, polish the frame. The weather module, can not call it a engine, is only some early Beta version. The one who wrote the weather code quit before the close down, looked for a new job when she got the info about FSX closing down and got a new job right away. All this I found on a site made by a former FSX team member some years ago, he closed the site 3-4 years ago. Why I do not know, it just vanished.

Per W Sweden

I saw a post long time ago saying it is the clouds going crazy. Known problem but one of the small flaws inside FSX that shows up on random. Not that often luckily. FSX is creating all the frames itself and FSX was far from finished when

MS closed it down. They had a very long todo-list. The only thing a graphic card can do with FSX is enhance AA and all that, polish the frame. The weather module, can not call it a engine, is only some early Beta version. The one who wrote the weather code quit before the close down, looked for a new job when she got the info about FSX closing down and got a new job right away. All this I found on a site made by a former FSX team member some years ago, he closed the site 3-4 years ago. Why I do not know, it just vanished.

Man, you have a point here, because at the very moment Active Sky Evolution updated the weather (I have set it to update every 15 mins) all the spikes disappeared, and I actually thought it might be related to weather!

You're Welcome :drinks: But we have to live with FSXs own little life now and then, nothing to do about. But in the end it's all about having a good time in the NGX that is a master piece

on this sometimes little crazy plattform called FSX. I like it anyway. Fun to see a new kind of weather phenomena, wakes you up on a long flight. :Thinking:

Per W Sweden

An old video card of mine started showing spikes (sort of like this) like this in every 3D program I ran, didn't last long....the video card died.

But seriously, is it only happening to me or is it a known bug with the mesh? I am not using any third party mesh for the area.

No - it's not just you !!!

I have experienced the exaxt same phenomenon when flying between London, Stansted and Stavanger - twice and in exactly the same position.

So, I doubt very much that it is a problem with your hardware.

I've no idea what's causing it though...

Gary

No - it's not just you !!!

I have experienced the exaxt same phenomenon when flying between London, Stansted and Stavanger - twice and in exactly the same position.

So, I doubt very much that it is a problem with your hardware.

I've no idea what's causing it though...

Gary

In this case it is the mesh. I will try the same route again and see if it's happening again or not. I doubt it's the fault of my video card.

An old video card of mine started showing spikes (sort of like this) like this in every 3D program I ran, didn't last long....the video card died.

Same here, I got a old 4 series Nvidia card before i upgraded to this one, it died within 1 month.

Nothing to do with the card here. Never had this issue. I did a 7 hour long flight today, no problems. Then I decided to do the same flight as yesterday... exact same location, same problem again. So it is not hardware related, but something with the mesh. And since Norway isn't covered with SRTM, I guess these artifacts are interpolation errors.

Please, check out the location and report back if you see anything like this. If you don't encounter these spikes, then it must be related to something "bad" installed for this particular area.

The coordinates of the location, and heading (just south of ENGM airport, near the intersection RUVAS):

LAT N59"23.44' LON E11" 3.48'

HDG (MAG) 153'

ALT: 20000 FT

Let's see if you will see something like this, or not:

Do you have UTX Europe??

And Aerosofts Mega Oslo or what it's called??

How about FsGenesis??

I do have all of them and have done several flights to and from ENGM and never seen this. Coming to/from Stockholm or Heathrow. Must be around a 50 maybe 100 flights to/from ENGM .

Alway used SID/STARS, remember point Ruvas.

Very strange thing you have, I have never ever seen something like that in my FSX. Only on some other forum long time ago.

Check if you have the above addons, might do the trick. Scandinavia is little of a lost land for MS default scenery. The default looked terrible, until I got UTX Europe.

Have you parked in the air?? Handbrake on and no engines running?? Slew??

Per W Sweden