Sign in to follow this  
G-YMML1

What should I expect from non-overclocked PC like this?

Hi,

I'm currently building the new machine (plan to order the parts tonight) which is

i7-2770k

8GB PC10660 DDR3

WD 600GB

GTX 580

ASUS Z77 Sabertooth.

There is no plans to overclock.

I need your well-balanced and constructive opinion about what level of performance I should expect if I'm planning to use PMDG NGX, ASE2012, FSDreamteam sceneries, UTUSA, GEUSA with no autogen/no cars/no boats, but max AI (no GA) and max scenery complexity. I also plan to use DXT3/DTX 5 textures for REX textures and PMDG textures including VC.

I really need to make a decision, because I will get less than 20fps in FSDT KJFK with the FSX options such as I described above, I would rather stay with my current FS2004 customized set-up.

Thank you for you feedback

Dmitriy

You should plan to overclock with a setup like that.

Ensure you have top notch cooling system in place. You could create your own water cooling loop or cheat and get the Corsair H100, I went against my better judgement and got the H100 and its actually not too bad for what it is. I run i5 2500k at 4.2ghz without any voltage tweaks and using intelburntest my temps dont go higher than 62 degrees. the H100 is noisey though.

If you want to cool with air, then go for either the prolimatech megahalems or noctua NH-D14-2011

You're also going to need a decent PSU to run, Id say go for an 850W psu possibly 1000w psu so you can add to the machine in the future.

Everyone wants FSX maxed, it doesnt always happen, so dont be disappointed when your £1300 doesnt max it out.

Jack Cannon

Hello

I get +30 fps with the machine in my sig using the NGX but I am running at 4.5ghz.

You really need to OC in order to get FSX running well, why else would you buy a K series chip ?

The memory you have specified is a little on the slow side and the hard disk is small, you would get better performance from two disks with the OS on one and FSX on the other.

You will also get worse performance in FSX with no autogen than you would if you set it to dense, sounds odd I know but it is true.

My advise is to spend this evening reading the hardware forum further down ( where this thread will end up) then order tomorrow night when you have got further advice there.

He already started a thread in the hardware forum... argh

And we already told him he's going to need the OC to enjoy addons...

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

You should plan to overclock with a setup like that.

Ensure you have top notch cooling system in place. You could create your own water cooling loop or cheat and get the Corsair H100,

Folks,

I'm an accountant, not a hardware engineer. Sorry. :Peace:

I really appreciate your concern about OC, the the question was addressed to those folks who do not overclock.

Again, thank you

Well im sorry if this offends, but as an accoutant, you havent been very analytical.

the 2700k chip has an unlocked multiplyer, which by design is made for overclocking.

This tells me that you've gone on some computer website and chosen some of the most expensive peices of hardware without a thought for what they actually do.

If i ever need an accountant, Ill know where not to look!

Jack Cannon

Well im sorry if this offends, but as an accoutant, you havent been very analytical.

the 2700k chip has an unlocked multiplyer, which by design is made for overclocking.

This tells me that you've gone on some computer website and chosen some of the most expensive peices of hardware without a thought for what they actually do.

Ok Jack,

What is your address? If I fry my CPU, I'll send you the bill. Deal? :biggrin:

Its quite difficult to fry modern chips unless you put them in a deep fat fryer.

Motherboards these days will shutdown before the cpu burns itself out, reset the overlock to default settings and reboot.. Within the space of 30 seconds

Jack Cannon

Okay...seriously...is it necessary to draw conclusions about this guy's accounting skills because he is a bit green in the hardware department? As Chris Carter would say...."Come on Man!"

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

Okay...seriously...is it necessary to draw conclusions about this guy's accounting skills because he is a bit green in the hardware department? As Chris Carter would say...."Come on Man!"

He wanted a well balanced and constructive opinion.

It annoyed me that his bread winning ways is based on the very finer details of someone else finances, but didnt take the same approach in something he knows very little about.

Jack Cannon

He wanted a well balanced and constructive opinion.

It annoyed me that his bread winning ways is based on the very finer details of someone else finances, but didnt take the same approach in something he knows very little about.

Understood...but would you not agree that the "constructive" element left the building when your feedback extended to his profession, which I would say has nothing to do with his computer hardware? I am having a hard time understanding why personal attacks are becoming more and more "normal" in these forums. I understand that your response was not necessarilly and "attack,' but give the guy a break. Are we not all here because we share the same obsession with aviation, and are we not all after the same thing? Incidentally, I am also an accountant, and like Dimitriy am not so savy in the hardware knowledge department. I agree that it sometimes can get annoying when someone apppears "lazy" but I am not convinced this is the case here. I think the guy is just looking for some guidence. In any event, it would be nice to see a bit less of these jabs as they tend to send threads in wrong direction.

Cheers, Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

It never intended to be a personal attack, My first reply was infact a well balanced opinion of the system he wants.

I myself am no bill gates, but what I know i have taught myself.

Jack Cannon

Ok...it appears that everybody overclocks these days. Sounds like I have no choice :-)

Ok...it appears that everybody overclocks these days. Sounds like I have no choice :-)

... No, it's more that the chip you've opted for performs best when OC'ed.

Dmitriy, overclocking isn't really as hard to do or as potentially dangerous as it was years ago when one wrong setting could fry your chip. Todays mobos have more safeguards and have easy to use GUIs that make it pretty easy. Just make sure to use the free software available to check your temps and make sure to have some decent air or liquid cooling. If your just going to do a moderate OC then a good air cooler will work fine. Plus there are plenty of guys in the hardware forum that can help you get thru it.

The rig in my sig was the first computer I ever overclocked and even though it was years ago, the guys in the said forum got me thru it from the start to the end. I was pretty hesitant to be sure since I didn't really understand what I was doing, but if you just start off doing a slight OC then increase your speeds and keep testing, you will be fine. If you can modify an AFCAD which I know you can from your postings on the FSDT forum, then you surely will be able to OC your rig.

For me, the OC was the best free upgrade you can do for your sim. It will benefit FSX more that you will believe and once you try a before and after OC, you will surely be much happier. Plus it will benefit FS9 if you choose to run it as well. on my rig it made the difference between being able to fly into hubs like JFK or LAX with 15 FPS before the OC and 25 to 30 FPS after the OC.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator