Sign in to follow this  
ideoplastic

C17-Globemaster

Very interested on this aircraft.

Is there any combination that would give me this aircrat with FMS/Gauges? - Freeware/Payware.

Thanks

Thanks guys, went ahead and bought the Area 51 product, because the Virtavia is FSX only. Someone told me today that apparently

Ernie Alston sells some FMS/Display gauges that can be used to install on the C17. Goint to check them out to see if I can add them to the product.

Thanks and regards

The Virtavia C-17 is also available for FS2004 - that is what I have on my machine.

Graeme Butler

Couldn't find it in their website, only product I found was for FSX, if you have a link to the FS9 page I would appreciate it.

Graeme, went back to the site and when I checked on Simmarket found the FS2004 version, sorry about that.

Any feedback on the Area 51 vs. the Virtavia C17? The sale price of the Area 51 product is certainly appealing but their products have had mixed reviews in the past and I already have a hangar full of aircraft I never fly. If it's not REALLY good, no matter the price, I'm not going to buy it unless I know a bit more about it. Especially for me this means quality of the VC, frame rates and general realism of the flight model. (Not hard-core about that - but does it fly like you imagine a C17 would perform?)

If it's not REALLY good, no matter the price, I'm not going to buy it unless I know a bit more about it. Especially for me this means quality of the VC, frame rates and general realism of the flight model. (Not hard-core about that - but does it fly like you imagine a C17 would perform?)

Then these products probably are probably not for you.

Neither developer is into systems depth, if you are a C-17 fan, then you'll want it because there's nothing else available that close to these. But if you are a discriminating buyer than, this probably isn't for you. They are fun planes to fly, but the don't really simulate flying a real C-17. These are relatively lite products, the VC's are probably on par with what you might see from Overland , Aerosim, or CLS..

I have both products, and both products have come down in price recently, I Personally I think the Virtavia one is visually the better of the two, and that is my personal preference. The area51 version is probably the better overall value for the price.

I don't know how a C-17 is supposed to fly so I can't speak on that. I do know they are fun planes to fly, if you are not a hard core user, and want to do some C-17 missions.

Regards.

Ernie.

ea_avsim_sig.jpg

Not exactly referring to the C-17 of Aera51sim, but I bought their U-2S/TR-1 Dragonlady. The model is really nice, performance is okay, however I wasn't able to climb and maintain altitudes higher than around 53000 feet, even with only 5 percent fuel left, so very low GW, and I know the real U-2S certainly can go higher. I bought it 2 years ago, and I am still waiting for their announced manual. So, their support and updates is kind of, umm, let's say neglected. That turned me off from purchasing any of their other products, which look nice.

Any feedback on the Area 51 vs. the Virtavia C17? The sale price of the Area 51 product is certainly appealing but their products have had mixed reviews in the past and I already have a hangar full of aircraft I never fly. If it's not REALLY good, no matter the price, I'm not going to buy it unless I know a bit more about it. Especially for me this means quality of the VC, frame rates and general realism of the flight model. (Not hard-core about that - but does it fly like you imagine a C17 would perform?)

Hi

Am very pleased with the Virtavia C-17 and often opt to fly it when I am in the mood for the the big jets - it has great manouverability as one would expect with a tactical military transport which means you can give yourself good challenges in terms of landing a large aircraft on short strips etc! Although I have never flown a C-17 in reality I would imagine the general realism of the flight model is pretty good. Frame rates are also quite good (I was achieving an FPS in the mid 30s with everything maxed out using the Flight Zone Portland scenery just to give you an idea). The external model is very good and I do like flying it a lot from the spot view for that reason. With regard to the VC, this is one aircraft that I tend to fly using the 2D cockpit, basically because the VC looks a little bare which detracts from it's realism a little, although to be fair I am not sure how good or bad the VC is functionally, simply because I haven't used it. Like you I have a lot of aircraft in my hanger that have bought and then almost never flown again but the Virtavia C-17 is certainly not one of these - I do enjoy flying it a lot although I accept that it is probably not hyper-realistic enough to satisfy you if you are in the mood for hard-core systems simulation!

My only experience of Area 51 products is the Chinook helicopter, which is pretty good but not overly inspiring.

Bill

Then these products probably are probably not for you.

Neither developer is into systems depth, if you are a C-17 fan, then you'll want it because there's nothing else available that close to these. But if you are a discriminating buyer than, this probably isn't for you. They are fun planes to fly, but the don't really simulate flying a real C-17. These are relatively lite products, the VC's are probably on par with what you might see from Overland , Aerosim, or CLS..

I have both products, and both products have come down in price recently, I Personally I think the Virtavia one is visually the better of the two, and that is my personal preference. The area51 version is probably the better overall value for the price.

I don't know how a C-17 is supposed to fly so I can't speak on that. I do know they are fun planes to fly, if you are not a hard core user, and want to do some C-17 missions.

Regards.

Ernie.

Thanks Ernie - I respect your judgment and appreciate you taking the time to respond

Ian

Hi

Am very pleased with the Virtavia C-17 and often opt to fly it when I am in the mood for the the big jets - it has great manouverability as one would expect with a tactical military transport which means you can give yourself good challenges in terms of landing a large aircraft on short strips etc! Although I have never flown a C-17 in reality I would imagine the general realism of the flight model is pretty good. Frame rates are also quite good (I was achieving an FPS in the mid 30s with everything maxed out using the Flight Zone Portland scenery just to give you an idea). The external model is very good and I do like flying it a lot from the spot view for that reason. With regard to the VC, this is one aircraft that I tend to fly using the 2D cockpit, basically because the VC looks a little bare which detracts from it's realism a little, although to be fair I am not sure how good or bad the VC is functionally, simply because I haven't used it. Like you I have a lot of aircraft in my hanger that have bought and then almost never flown again but the Virtavia C-17 is certainly not one of these - I do enjoy flying it a lot although I accept that it is probably not hyper-realistic enough to satisfy you if you are in the mood for hard-core systems simulation!

My only experience of Area 51 products is the Chinook helicopter, which is pretty good but not overly inspiring.

Bill

Thanks Bill - you and Ernie have given me the kind of answer I was hoping for. My impression of the Virtavia C17 was a positive one and it got good reviews but it's a little out of the price range I want to pay for something that doesn't really strike a "must have this" chord. Maybe if they have a sale I'll go for it. In the meantime, I'll just stick to my beloved Captain Sim C130 when I need a tactical airlift "fix" and give Area51 a miss. (Which in the real world is an excellent idea as well as otherwise you are very likely to get shot at!)

^_^

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian

I have both of the Globemasters and in my opinion the Virtavia is the better of the two and I think its worth the extra dough mate...........John

Ended up buying the 2 products plus Ernie's ISG gauges. Done a couple of flights and sort of OK but then again have not really spent

enough time on them yet. Gauges and buttons seem to be clearer on the VC on the Area51. Virtavia Model is very good. Some difficulties

in getting the LNAV/VNAV to engage correctly in the Area51. ISG gauges seem to work well in the Virtavia. Both suffer from a very limited

2D panel, shame neither have a proper widescreen panel showing full /nearly full control panel. Have now decided not to buy any more

FS9 aircraft since I already have all the good ones.

Cheers