Sign in to follow this  
pwscott

New i7-2700K-based System on Order- Tips on the build?

I got lot of good input online last night from various people from here on Digital Themepark Teamspeak server. [Thanks for that]That lead to me ordering my new system for FSX and X=Plane (and may be Prepare3D later) and my first build. Unfortunately Newegg voided the order last night after-hours because the cell phone number they have didn't match the home number the credit card company had (UGH)....I usually pay with PayPal on Newegg, but wanted this one on a credit card.....resubmitted first thing this AM and 4.5 hours and 2 calls to Newegg and they still haven;t verified the order despite paying their "Rush Order Fee".

The only thing I changed really was I took out the Corsair Liquid cooler H80 that SpiritFlyer suggested because I caught this note as I reviewed the order this AM....that cooler "Requires a case with a rear or top 120mm fan mount". The case I like and have ordered (if Newegg EVER verifies my order) doesn't use a 120MM fan at the top, so I switched to the air cooler and compound below.

If I were not already over-spending my budget by $400US, I would put a pair of SSD drives to boot from and run FSX on....at least I am buying a full tower with lts of room to do so later. I'll also add a 2nd DVD-R may be B/R and a panel for flash cards from cameras (SD, CF, etc).

Anyway...if you have any words of wisdom for me on putting this bad boy together I'll appreciate them (as opposed to second guessing the choices I madeNail%20Biting.gif )

I do have one question I suppose- since I have installed FSX Gold with Acceleration on my current desktop and my Laptop, do I need to de-register it or anything before installing it on this new beast? Or will I have to call them if reg fails? Not looking forward to dereg'ing and reinstalling all of Adobe CS5, Premiere Pro and After Effects but they should scream on here too I think...

Thanks.....hoping they verify the darned order and ship this today.

Thanks to SpiritFlyer and others for all their input and to Word Not Allowed and others for the great wrtie-ups.

HP Omen Intel Core i9 @ 3.6GHz
64GB RAM @ 1596MHz, NVidia GeForce RTX 3090
Windows 10 64bit, 2 x 2TB SSD, 2TB 7200RPM SATA Drive

Looks pretty damn solid to me.

Are you building it yourself?

The Hyper 212 cooler is a so-so cooler, you won't be able to achieve the highest OC with that.

Aamir Thacker

Yes, building it my self. Initially I don't plan to overclock it at all. Perhaps when budget allows I will add a liquid cooler- the case certainly allows for that.

Looks pretty damn solid to me.

Are you building it yourself?

The Hyper 212 cooler is a so-so cooler, you won't be able to achieve the highest OC with that.

Yes, building it my self. Initially I don't plan to overclock it at all. Perhaps when budget allows I will add a liquid cooler- the case certainly allows for that.

That's a waste :(

A beut of a chip like a 2700K! Come on! OC the hell out of the thing! :P

Aamir Thacker

Thanks Dazz.....I did look at those...I was going to make a few compromises including choosing a GTX 560 card, but I really want something beefy I can run with for a while. I should be able to grow with this.

I run a lot of Obrx stuff, REX 2.0 and am into both Heavy Metal like the PMDG 737-NGX and fighters like the VRS F/A-18 Superbug and I want a high frame rate where I can get it. Now for paying down that credit card balance..... :Hypnotized:

Newegg did just finally verify my order about 6 hours after I updated the info....hopefully will ship today. 3 day UPS from NJ to CT should be overnight I expect....could be building Friday night :-0

If you are already over your budget, I would consider this instead:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813157271

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819115072

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817371049

You'd be saving some $250

The thing is, that combination I suggested is just marginally slower. Maybe 1-2FPS here and there or a 5% on stock clocks.

That PSU in particular looks like a massive waste of money for almost 200 bucks.

Your call anyway

Thanks for the input- You may be right on a little overkill on the PSU, but I wanted to overbuy the PSU a little- but I also got it in a Newegg "combo" with that case and that knocked $40 off one and I think $20 off the other plus a $20 rebate so could be I paid $110 for it may be?? I figure I will have lots of HDUs in that case (for video editing in Premiere Pro and scratch disks for Photoshop etc.) plus othe stuff and I picked that PSU because it was made by the company that makes the case--should go in easy and controls the fans.

System arrived at 4PM today and after 3+ hours of assembling and a little troubleshooting it is running like a champ. Tomorrow starts the FSX and X-Plane installations.....can't wait.

Hello

Well done, Its a great feeling when it boots up for the first time.

Good choices. I went with the P8Z77-V on a recent system upgrade and have been generally pleased. The final piece of the puzzle for me will be the new GPU. I feel fairly confident that this will be my final system upgrade on the FSX platform as the sim is running respectably well. Best of luck to you.

Ryan Kelly

System arrived at 4PM today and after 3+ hours of assembling and a little troubleshooting it is running like a champ. Tomorrow starts the FSX and X-Plane installations.....can't wait.

Be sure to take FsMark11! :smile:

Be sure to take FsMark11! :smile:

Just did run FSMark11 5 times as prescribed in the PDF document. Once I load Excel back on this beast I will get the average and info up. Ahhhhh....now on to install X-Plane, Orbx sceneries and airports and a bunch of aircraft starting with the VRS F/A-18 Superbug and then the PMDB 737-NGX. This is gonna be fun.