Sign in to follow this  
Midcon113

Recommendations for FSX Classic 747-200/300

Hi All,

I'm on the search for a good classic 747 (100/200/300) for FSX. My research has led me to conclude the following:

1) The RFP 747 package is probably the most realistic classic 747 available, but is only available for FS9 (and I already have it, but haven't found a way to get it into FSX - doesn't look like it's possible?)

2) The CLS 747 classic package looks good, but doesn't have the level of detail of the RFP package - is more like a default aicraft.

3) There are the POSKY 747 packages which will look just fine, but is there an FSX panel package to go with them? I'd hate to fly a classic with the default 747-400 panel.

I'm not looking necessarily for PMDG-level detail, but something more than simply the default Ctrl-E-taxi-fly kind of thing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Mark

Mark Lam

I have the CLS version, and it's pretty good, but I don't really fly it because the FE panel in the VC is a big blurry mess (the 2D panel version is functional, though). But maybe I'm just being picky. If you're not looking for amazing complexity, go for that. But wait until the new version comes out: http://justflight.com/product/747-200-300-series-v1-5-upgrade

Those of us over at the Captain Sim forums have been speculating that CS will be making a 747 classic when they're done with their triple-7, but that could be a couple years off.

Thanks Bram - I appreciate the link to the update. Do you know if this is going to be an additional charge on top of the core product?

Mark

Mark Lam

Thanks Tom, that's the impression I'm getting as well. It's too bad nobody's done a more hard-core 747 classic for FSX.

Mark

Mark Lam

But wait until the new version comes out: http://justflight.co...es-v1-5-upgrade

You may have a loooong wait. Here is what the developers said a few weeks ago on the CLS forum:

"The 747 is not our top priority at the moment which means development goes onwards whenever we can spare some time, we are concentrating on the BAE at the moment and we don´t have the resources to do two projects at the same time.

The 747 will come but I really can´t say when."

--

Bryn

From memory there is a mod to get the RFP747 working in FSX, apparently works really well.

Bryn - thanks for the input - that's disappointing but understandable.

Will - any idea where it's located? I couldn't find anything obvious.

Thanks!

Mark

Mark Lam

Yup, look here

Go to FSdownload and do a search for :

FSX Ready For Pushback Boeing 747-200 package modify

I downloaded it last night and will try to give it a shot tonight; that would be good news if it does indeed work and doesn't include too many compromises from the original.

Mark

Mark Lam

On Simvation, search for the RFP 747 FSX redux. Works on SP2 or Acceleration. There are some repaints there but I havent tried them. Hope this helps.

Migster, I'll take a look. I downloaded the package from FSDownload, and it turns out that the exterior model is RFP, the panel background bitmap is RFP, but virtually all the gauges have been replaced with either the default FS2002 Concorde gauge, or from the default 737-800 package. I'm sure it works, but that's not what I'm looking for. Hopefully the simvation version is closer to the original.

Thanks!

Mark

Mark Lam

I downloaded the file (do not remember if it was from Avsim or Simviation)

RFPB747-200_X.zip

It works beautifully.

It works beautifully.

That's the one that uses panels/guages from the default 737, so if you consider 'works beautifully' to mean 'removes all of the systems from the flight engineer and navigator panels, and replaces the throttle quadrant with a twin engine quadrant, and replaces the overheads with a twin engine overhead that assumes a FMC, and doesn't actually provide any way to control the INS that is visible in the virtual cockpit' then yeah, it works beautifully.

But by that token, it's a step back from the CLS -200, rather than the 'not as pretty, but has more systems modelled' that the original RTP -200 was.