Sign in to follow this  
bytes

Anyone Using the Custom King Air Quardrant

Found Elite Simulation Solutions offering a custom King Air Quadrant as a standalone unit. The description says it has a detent at the idle position and calibration to allow full travel into reverse. From the picture it appears there is a Ground Fine range as well. The calibration is done through their software and is done in 3 easy steps of moving the levers and hitting the Set button. They have a Loan Officer available to help setup a 5 year payment plan.Money%20Eyes.gif

Anyone with experience in using this quadrant? Take a look here: https://www.flyelite.com/shop/king-air-b200-throttle-quadrant/

Russ

Hi Russ,

I used it for FS2004 / FSX and was pleased with it, BUT it is VERY difficult to calibrate it as you have to use the cutom made program by ELITE in FSX and thus you won´t be able to finetune and customize it inside of FSUIPC. Don´t know if it is still the case, worth a request at ELITE before a purchase!

Also I got some problems to be not recognized by the FADEC system some jets have and therefor I had no thrust in some aircrafts.

So under the line it is VERY VERY well made and usefull, but its use in FSX is now limited due to the facts above so I sold it and got to the Goflight TQ6.

Hope I could help!

Andy, thanks for the information.

Your reference to the FADEC system, is that pure jets or does it include turboprops as well?

After calibration, were you able to have full reverse available?

Your help is most appreciated.

Russ

Russ,

in particular I had most problems with the ES Cit X , F1 Cit Mustang and the PMDG Jetstream not recognizing the throttle axis.

The reversers and the detents work definately as described ... just PERFECT, no need to worry about this part, I had never ever this great feeling again.

Regarding having a ground-fine-region I cannot tell anymore, as it is about 2 years ago now when I got them.

On my device I had one detent for each thrust lever into reverse (no "extra" gate for groundfine as IRL), one each for the full-feather position and one each for the Low-Idle condition position.

But as said above, the calibration drove me NUTS ... nearly impossible to have the two levers, didn´t matter if thrust, props or cond in full sync position ... they were nearly everytime out of sync in the VC / sim if I had them in sync on my throttle quadrant. The elite calibration software showed a perfect calibration and inside the sim they were out of sync! I know IRL it is also impossible to have them exactly in sync but I am talking of huge numbers, often a "full lever" off.

Remind to have a FULL registered version of FSUIPC to use the ELITE quadrant ... funny thing was, allthough you need a full FSUIPC you are NOT able to assign ANY lever to a function inside FSUIPC .... :Liar: !

So all these things got me back to "standart" USB devices , the ELITE Throttle quadrant is not "calibrateable" inside of Windows ... just a "ELITE-interface".

Again, it is perfectly crafted but for FSX you have to live with some drawbacks and again, I do NOT know if that is still all the case, maybe they have a new software having all these issues fixed?!

The PFC module for their quadrants as well as consoles were written by the same person that wrote FSUIPC, Pete Dowson. You have to make sure you have the correct type of lever arrangement selected since there are several types. The F1 Citation Mustang doesn't use the reverse range of thrust so any throttle that is set for a reverse range will cause problems with it.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Hello Zane!

that is very very interesting ... as stated it drove me crazy the calibration and in the FSX documentation that times I found no info that famous Mr. Pete Dowson would be the right person to talk with :Liar: .

So thanks much for YOUR input ... hopefully Russ can , if he might purchase the pruduct, get even much more out of this nice hardware than I did!

Problem areas encountered with setting up PFC quadrants include selecting incorrect throttle lever sets, conflicting assignments in FSUIPC or FSX/FS2004 (the FSX/FS2004 assignments will many times be made automatically when you plug any USB device in so this will drive you nutz), not using full deflection when calibrating. For spikes in the control movement use the filtering. Oh... and you do have to click the box to the upper left of the assignment that says you want to use this assignment! Don't use the box that automatically selects the quadrant type, it is frequently wrong.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

... Don't use the box that automatically selects the quadrant type, it is frequently wrong.

... here you are ... I used this allways! :Loser:

Thanks to all for the information. Great to be able to find out about such an expensive quardrant before making a purchase.

Russ

Holy Mother Of God.

GoFlight even worse!

Love to have a set though.