Sign in to follow this  
Flight Sim Geek

Recommend me an add-on for FSX

Hi all,

I have a large collection of add-ons and as such I am looking for something new! I would prefer jetliners and airports. I normally fly short haul. I have the following add-ons;

• Aerosoft Mega Airport Madrid
  • Aerosoft Mega Airport Munich
  • Aerosoft Mega Airport Frankfurt
  • Aerosoft Mega Airport Amsterdam
  • Aerosoft Mega Airport Zurich 2012
  • Aerosoft VFR London
  • Aerosoft Trondheim X
  • Aerosoft Gibraltar X
  • Aerosoft Corfu X
  • Aerosoft Kos X
  • Aerosoft Madeira X
  • Aerosoft Rotterdam X
  • Aerosoft German Airports 2 2012
  • Aerosoft German Airports 3 2012
  • Aerosoft Friedrichsahafen
  • Aerosoft Nice X
  • Aerosoft Innsbruck X
  • Aerosoft Airbus X
  • FlyTampa Vienna
  • FlyTampa Athens
  • FlyTampa St. Maarten
  • Horizon UK VFR (Volumes 1-3)
  • UK2000 London Heathrow
  • UK2000 London City
  • UK2000 Standstead
  • UK2000 East Midlands
  • UK2000 Liverpool
  • UK2000 Cardiff
  • UK2000 Bristol
  • UK2000 Belfast
  • PMDG 747X
  • PMDG MD-11X
  • PMDG 737NGX (including -600 & -700)
  • PMDG J41
  • REX Essentials
  • QualityWings757
  • FlightSimLabs Concorde X
  • Captain Sim 767
  • Wilco 737 Evo
  • Wilco CRJ NextGen

I have probably forget to add some to the list! I normally fly within Europe on flights 3 hours or less. I do not fly GA or VFR.

All recommendations welcome!

Aaron G.

Time to get a personal aircraft for just having fun: Baytower RV7

Bert

The Captain Sim 737 and 707. Both are very good, and suited to short and medium haul around Europe. Both offer the chance to do some old-school proper stick and rudder flying, including doppler and INS navigation if you get the 707, although you will need long runways to get that 707 off the deck with any appreciable fuel load. The 720 was better at that sort of thing.

If you don't like Captain Sim, or don't like really old airliners, then you might also want to consider the SimCheck Airbus A300-B2, which is a truly excellent add-on, right up there with the very best you can get for FSX. That too is suitable for European short haul, since the real A300 was designed to be economic over shorter ranges in Europe at the reqeust of several German airlines who were prospective customers for it, even though it can also do longer flights.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

ORBX - any product they have to offer. However, KJAC has just been released and will handle larger iron.

What about the Sim Check A300 for short haul wide body flying. You can read Chock's review from the Avsim review site.

If you want to add something really different to what you have how about FS2Crew Voice Control for the NGX.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

I too would recommend Sim Check A300, really nice heavy that is good for shorter haul flying as that's what it has been doing in real life too. Good old style cockpit too.

Then also Captain Sim 707 if older ones interest you, I have been really happy with that addon unlike with their 727 that has really poor flight dynamics and other stuff to fix, though I think there is some third party modifications that fix it.

The Captain Sim 737 and 707. Both are very good, and suited to short and medium haul around Europe. Both offer the chance to do some old-school proper stick and rudder flying, including doppler and INS navigation if you get the 707, although you will need long runways to get that 707 off the deck with any appreciable fuel load. The 720 was better at that sort of thing.

If you don't like Captain Sim, or don't like really old airliners, then you might also want to consider the SimCheck Airbus A300-B2, which is a truly excellent add-on, right up there with the very best you can get for FSX. That too is suitable for European short haul, since the real A300 was designed to be economic over shorter ranges in Europe at the reqeust of several German airlines who were prospective customers for it, even though it can also do longer flights.

Al

Thanks AI. I will check out the A300, not interested in old aircraft as I am afraid that I will have to learn to fly properly! lol

Aaron G.

Have you given FSDreamTeam Airports any thought?

Thanks for listening,

Kail

Have you given FSDreamTeam Airports any thought?

I have, but I don't fly to the US and I have the Aerosoft Zurich and have no intention of flying to Geneva.

Aaron G.

Captain Sim 737

How does this one compare to the NGX in systems fidelity? I'd love to expand my interests to older airliners as long as there is a learning curve. - Honestly, I don't want to fly an aircraft that is 'easy'.

How does this one compare to the NGX in systems fidelity? I'd love to expand my interests to older airliners as long as there is a learning curve. - Honestly, I don't want to fly an aircraft that is 'easy'.

It doesn't have the underlying systems of the PMDG, i.e. it is unlikely that you would be able to simulate things such as one of the hydraulics systems failing or an electrical bus shorting out or whatever, but for normal operations, it is all there systems-wise. The EPR of the JT8D could be more accurately simulated, but it's close enough for most people.

As far as flying it is concerned, like the real one, it has the much less capable period Sperry autopilot simulated, so it won't do LNAV and VNAV, thus you'll have to do more of the autopilot capturing manually, and of course you'd have to fly SIDs and STARs manually using the VOR DME and altitude details from the charts, and manually navigate the route via fixed ground aids or ded reckoning if over places where there are not so many ground aids, calculating the drift offsets yourself, so it'll be time to dust off that E6B if you plan on crossing any oceans or places with fewer nav aids such as Russia, China or the African interior.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here