Sign in to follow this  
cliffardus

Does my Apple iMac have a solvable Memory problem?

When I follow the Manual's "Setting FSX Set Up for the PMDG 737NGX" I'm able to fly for something line 10 minutes before achieving a message that the computer has run out of Memory.

When I reduce the settings to a less intensive level I receive that same message after one to two hours and usually when attempting to land.

If I had a low end computer I'd understand but is that indeed the case? The specs are below:

i Mac 27 inch, Mid 2011

Processor 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1024 MB

Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 (11E53)

Is there a simple solution to the problem?

Cliff

In my query should have mentioned that I'm flying the 737 using a dedicated Windows 7 partition provided by "Parallels". I'm not flying in Apple mode.

Cliff

In my query should have mentioned that I'm flying the 737 using a dedicated Windows 7 partition provided by "Parallels". I'm not flying in Apple mode.

Cliff

So you are running Windows in a virtualized environment (ie. Parallels)? I would suggest you use Bootcamp instead as then you will not be running OSX at the same time.

So you are running Windows in a virtualized environment (ie. Parallels)? I would suggest you use Bootcamp instead as then you will not be running OSX at the same time.

Correct. Use Boot Camp, as Parallels or VMWare are inside Mac OS, and can make it slow.

cliff-

I use an Apple Macbook Pro for mobile computing and after some frustration and headaches I settled on the conclusion that the ONLY way to operate graphically intensive windows software effectively on Apple hardware was to go into windows via BootCamp.

This is based entirely on my own experience and my own ham-fisted methodology- but ever since I took Ryan's advice on this topic- my experience on the Macbook has been flawless...

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Cliff

There's your problem (In the words of Adam Savage). When using Parallels the ram is shared between OSX and windows at the same time and most likely parallels is probably set up with around 2gb of dedicated memory for windows. I would switch to bootcamp and take OSX out of the equation when "gaming". When using bootcamp all the Ram will be allocated to windows instead of split for OSX and Windows.

Also if you don't know, Bootcamp is free and is included with OSX.

Another vote for Bootcamp here. Hell, I'm running FSX on a 13" MacBook with integrated graphics, but have never ever received an OOM error. Virtualisation should be avoided at all costs for anything performance-orientated.

cliff-

I use an Apple Macbook Pro for mobile computing and after some frustration and headaches I settled on the conclusion that the ONLY way to operate graphically intensive windows software effectively on Apple hardware was to go into windows via BootCamp.

This is based entirely on my own experience and my own ham-fisted methodology- but ever since I took Ryan's advice on this topic- my experience on the Macbook has been flawless...

Hey Robert! Welcome back! :friends:

I'm grateful for the (unanimous) advice.

Thank you all for passing on your heard earned experience.

Cliff