Sign in to follow this  
jackcnd

Able to sell others on Flight ?

Wik:

"According to former ACES employee Phil Taylor, the shutdown was not due to sales performance of FSX, but due to management issues and delays in project delivery, combined with increased demand for staff.[8] It has been speculated in the mainstream and gaming media that future versions could be released as an Internet based version, or on the Xbox 360 platform."

Don't shoot me.. just relaying what I read.

One idea to "sell" it would be to admit their errors and quickly develop a SDK and blow it wide open for 3rd party. Then sit back and cash in on some type of royalty agreement. I bet you dollars to doughnuts that every 3rd party dev would be delighted to build on/for the platform.

Why would anyone go to half the forums on Flight when they're like this one was in its dark days? I wouldn't bother posting on them. Heck, I even have to stay away from this one from time to time.

Alaska is going to battle to sell more than Hawaii, especially if it costs more. The unfortunate thing is that no one really knows how proper a/c models will sell since there has only been one and it came out on day one. The next one will probably do (relatively) well because people will be relieved that there is actually something else.

As for selling it to others, it's just not ready for it yet. It might be when there are a dozen a/c (eight - ie the rest - with cockpits) and half a dozen scenery packages. I could (at a pinch) plug it without the other bells and whistles . But that horse has probably already bolted.

One idea to "sell" it would be to admit their errors and quickly develop a SDK and blow it wide open for 3rd party. Then sit back and cash in on some type of royalty agreement. I bet you dollars to doughnuts that every 3rd party dev would be delighted to build on/for the platform.

Wouldn't that cause chaos right now? They'd have to manage those so carefully otherwise it would simply wind up a mess that could never be unravelled.

If some statements are to be believed it would not be every 3PD on board.

Mike

Admit errors? Microsoft?

Thy could do it in the privacy of their restroom and then just call it a strategic decision :Loser:

But if you did that, it would be trying to turn it into FS11, which is at complete cross-purposes to what MS wanted to do, and that kind of U-Turn is a rarity in any board room. They want a broad-spectrum of users, who aren't necessarily hard core simmers i.e. gamers, and there's nothing wrong with trying that, in fact it is rather brave to attempt to do so.

But for that you need exciting gaming elements, not a bunch of hoops to fly through and certainly not a payware JFK and a super-realistic A320. 'thrill to the excitement of flying an RNAV approach into Gatwick's Runway 08 via the ABIBI waypoint' is just not gonna pull those gamers in, however much the hard core would wish it were so, whereas 'can you stop the brush fire from devastating Orange County's community in your water bomber chopper?' might actually be in with a shot at pulling it off, if there was enough of a gaming aspect to how that was handled.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I hope the Flight team learns from their mistakes before it's too late...

Don't hold your breath my friend... if they were that smart they would have listened to the initial reaction they got from all the DEV's who were part of the BETA team...

all that smoke and fire reports by many here pre-FLIGHT release... that many more said was nothing to worry about, that MS would never make FLIGHT Hawaii only... remember all those folks?

Once FLIGHT falls MS will simply blame it on a dying FLight SIm market and shelve flight simulators for good, in favor for whatever 1st person shooter game is now on the drawing boards...

If that occurs our hope will hing on P3D and X-Plane 10 until something else from another vendor comes along...

Long live FSX!

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Chock: the missions you posted earlier would be fantastic! And perfect for Flight.

When I was in the insurance industry (its where the real pod people reside) there was a whole sub-language evolved to say things that could not be admitted in any other way. Finding out the company was wrong was called a "learning" as in "After our recent project we had several learnings, and will accordingly be modifying some aspects of the program"

It took me quite a long time to learn this little language, and longer still to avoid gaping or simply laughing out loud at meetings. Pod people do bad things if they find a stranger in their midst.

Moving past that, I still have no evidence that FLIGHT is "failing" at least financially in any way, except in that it is demonstrably failing in communicating with its potential audience.

Hey, whaddya know? This is my 666th post.......... :diablo:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

You know.... I fully understand why AVSIM has the no bashing policy for FLIGHT...

Because without it, this forum would be on fire most of the time...

Its hard to not be upset over what has become of the MSFS line....

When I was in the insurance industry (its where the real pod people reside) there was a whole sub-language evolved to say things that could not be admitted in any other way. Finding out the company was wrong was called a "learning" as in "After our recent project we had several learnings, and will accordingly be modifying some aspects of the program"

It took me quite a long time to learn this little language, and longer still to avoid gaping or simply laughing out loud at meetings. Pod people do bad things if they find a stranger in their midst.

Moving past that, I still have no evidence that FLIGHT is "failing" in any way, except in that it is demonstrably failing in communicating with its potential audience.

You should work in finance... the language used to hide processes there at times is so dynamic it confuses other traders..

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Nah, you should go to a marketing meeting, you can't move for crap buzz phrases, with people 'running it up the flagpole to see who salutes' having 'paradigm shifts' and 'blue sky thinking'.

In fact, my wife and I have even started making these phrases up and using them in meetings for a laugh, and generally speaking, everyone is too afraid to question them and instead assumes they must be some trendy phrase which they've never heard, we've even heard people using these made up phrases back to us on occasion, two of these being 'let's take this to the thirteenth floor and see who gets off the elevator', and 'let's test the kevlar on this one'.

We have no idea what these mean, we just made them up and marketing people started using them. Try it for yourself, just make something up which sounds vaguely profound such as 'let's wind the clock on this one' or 'I think we should stomp the button on this' or whatever. It is hilarious and helps to pass the time in tedious meetings.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

When i first started using FS seriously, my favorite was the Missions. You had a goal and the anticipation of the "hard part" was nerve wrecking. Remember landing the Maule on the icy slope in the high elevation med-evac anyone? I was giddy when at last I made it. I still go back to that one once in a while. So Al, I'm totally on the same page as you on the game aspects of it, but I can't see why 3pd wouldn't want to develop those kind of add-ons as well. Just bring the tools to the table.

let's take this to the thirteenth floor and see who gets off the elevator

That there is a keeper!