Sign in to follow this  
Bill A

Sound Card or Built in via Mobo?

Hi, Im upgrading my system and my buddy hooked me up with a MSI P55-GD65 motherboard that has a built in 8-channel 7.1 HD Audio subsystem with S/PDIF out. On my older system I had a Creative SB Audigy 2 Sound card. Should I use this card on my upgrade to free up the CPU from working the sounds, or is the built in sound system on the mobo just a better system and I should use that one with no sound card installed?

Asus Tuf Gaming Plus B550 - Asus Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Asus GeForce 4080 RTX OC Edition - 64GB DDR4 Ram 3600Mhz - EVGA 850W Power Supply - 2X 1 TB NVME PCIE gen 4 - Windows 10

Gone are the days when having on board sound meant compromising resources. The on board sound on my motherboard is indistinguishable from my previous Creative X-Fi Extreme and it uses Creative software anyway. I would never go back to having a separate sound card now.

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog

Thanks for the reply

Asus Tuf Gaming Plus B550 - Asus Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Asus GeForce 4080 RTX OC Edition - 64GB DDR4 Ram 3600Mhz - EVGA 850W Power Supply - 2X 1 TB NVME PCIE gen 4 - Windows 10

I'd leave them both if You can - one for environment (the better-sound-output-card should be used for this) playback, one for ATC (the crappy one).

Nowadays sound cards have their own CPUs to decode the bits to membrane movement.

I assume you propose running a separate program for ATC, otherwise how would you go about separating the audio being generated by a single application? Meaning, when you assign audio streams to different speaker outputs, you need separate applications that create the source audio streams.

Anyway, built-in audio is good enough for 99% of uses and 99% of people. It's really only audiophiles and professionals that can

1) tell the difference

2) might have a use for something better than onboard audio

I assume you propose running a separate program for ATC, otherwise how would you go about separating the audio being generated by a single application?

In application's GUI. Under settings/sounds You can pick which sound card You wish to playback the output (sounds and communications enables You to choose two cards)

Should I use this card on my upgrade to free up the CPU from working the sounds

Hello

If you are sticking with XP then either option will be fine but the Creative card will use less resources on XP.

If you are moving to W7 then the Creative card will be no better than the onboard as W7 does not support hardware sound acceleration for Directsound, in that case use the onboard, your PC will thank you.

Yes, Im going from XP to Win7 64bit

Yes, Im going from XP to Win7 64bit

Hello

Then the onboard will be fine, and a lot more stable than Creatives drivers

I'd leave them both if You can - one for environment (the better-sound-output-card should be used for this) playback, one for ATC (the crappy one).

Nowadays sound cards have their own CPUs to decode the bits to membrane movement.

I suggest a cheap USB option. I recently picked up a Creative X-Fi dongle for $30 and it is wonderful. No more card, better airflow, and less surface area for dust accumulation in my rig. Plus I can use it on my laptop which has a sub par sound solution. Besides, many modern motherboards have a separate front panel header that can make your scenario possible without a discreet card.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules