Sign in to follow this  

Invest...? Invest?!?

General Aviation or GA refers to the small planes like we see in Flight, little single-props or light twin-prop planes.

It can also refer to small jets, but the "real" GA guys don't like the "jet" guys being lumped in with them, and the "real" jet guys tell the little jet guys to hang out with the GA guys. Just%20Kidding.gif

"Low & Slow" is another reference to typical GA-style flying, as you are going slower and much lower than the big planes.

Just to put in perspective Alaska in flight costs less than an Alaska mesh in FSX and more or less the same as a FSX mission pack.

No sure where you get that from - as there is lots of Alaska freeware mesh around for Fsx - at Zero cost !

General Aviation or GA refers to the small planes like we see in Flight, little single-props or light twin-prop planes.

It can also refer to small jets, but the "real" GA guys don't like the "jet" guys being lumped in with them, and the "real" jet guys tell the little jet guys to hang out with the GA guys. Just%20Kidding.gif

"Low & Slow" is another reference to typical GA-style flying, as you are going slower and much lower than the big planes.

Ah I figured it meant General Aviation but I didn't know what planes were involved with the "GA" title. Thanks for clearing that up and I think if I am ever around pilots I will just keep my mouth shut so I don't refer to the wrong "crowd" as GA.

I don't tend to put things like simulators in the same category as traditional games. A traditional game typically has a beginning and an end, while simulators are not typically designed to have an ending. Simulators (in my opinion) are a hobby, and just like in any other hobby, if you like it, you invest in it. If you're in to RC cars for example, you would be investing money into new cars, engines, controllers, etc., and even if you were to turn around and sell it all, the ROI would still be in the negatives. Same goes for simulator-style games. We "invest" in the product, we "invest" in the add-ons, and we "invest" in controllers like yokes, pedals, and devices like TrackIR to get the most out of our hobby. Of course, if you enjoy it, then it's worthwhile to invest time and money into it, to increase your enjoyment (after all, isn't the point of a hobby to have fun doing something you enjoy?)

So yes, when it comes to MS Flight (or any of the other simulators, simu-games I play), it is an investment. Where a movie or a traditional 'game' will give me X hours of enjoyment, and when I've reached the end, it's done and I'm done with it. Flight doesn't have an "ending", and the number of hours of enjoyment I get out of it only depends on how long *I* decide to use the product, which, as a hobby, is likely to be years from now. :)

Just my 2 cents. :)

No sure where you get that from - as there is lots of Alaska freeware mesh around for Fsx - at Zero cost !

This is what I used for Alaska in FS9 . Cost around $30 but looked real. Not as good as Flight, however.

http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=utcan

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Just went to a flight simulation store and asked for Alaska related products and found it. I know that there are several freeware mesh, usually STRM ones.

Exactly! And that's why I wondered why flightsim purchases have to be investments (for a lot of people) and (most) other games purchases not! Hence the topic title.

For me flightsim purchases don't have to be investments. They can be seen as game purchases. I buy them to have fun with it NOW. Maybe for a week, maybe a month, maybe for years. But some people only want to buy flight addons if they can be sure they will use if for years while at the same time they buy games just for a week. :wink:

BTW A lot of good posts and interesting views/opinions in this topic!

I only buy games that last more than just a week. Mostly multiplayer games that give me entertainment for at least a year maybe more until the next sequel of that game. The only offline game i have is Skyrim because It gives me good value for the money I pay. Already played 100 hours and just started on the main story, don't know if Im ever gonna finnish it, so that's what I call good investment.

I gave Flight a try, but got bored after a week, I regret i bougth the rest of Hawaii and the Maule. It's the first game i feel I have wasted my money. I know I could have tried out the free version and I did, but It only had 2 planes that was too slow. So i wanted to try out the Maule and RV6. Did all the missons and challenges the first few days, and then nothing more to do. That what I call bad investment.

I have some hardcore gamer friends that buys almost every game out there so I get too try out the games before I buy it, but they are not into flightsims so I had too try out Flight for myself.

But people are different, what I may call a bad investment other may think It's very good investment.