Sign in to follow this  

Invest...? Invest?!?

I game for about 15 years now and in that period a lot have changed. Dev companies getting bigger spending huge amount of money for games. This year i have bought two or three titles that i played for about one or two hours, only to be disappointed with the end result of the game. The market is heavily focussed on graphics and personal i see a dip in game play. Flight is a great product. I have bought it an flew hours and hours, mission after mission...and then suddenly i did not want to fly any more. Why? Because is all the same. There is no challenge whatsoever. Picking passengers with the maule, cruising at 5 for 80 miles, descent,land happy passengers...next. I miss ATC, AI traffic and dynamic weather. While MS stated to invest in the XBOX i think its a perfect strategy, except for our pc based flightsimmers. Planes without cockpits, no ATC or AI. Its all focused on sitting on the couch with a controller and just fly a bit. I don't say its bad but im more into simulator style flying: DCS A-10 for example. You will never ever see that title on a console.

Concerning Alaska...yep, its a different environment but in the end it will be as boring as Hawaii. First i will look into the reviews and keep a close eye on this forum. I will buy Alaska if the gameplay has progressed into deeper simulation aspects. Its MS choice to follow this strategy, its my choice to decide whether to follow it. At this point i don't follow their strategy and thus i will wait for the time to come.

Ditto. As a real world pilot, I'd like a little more "sim" in MSF to keep it interesting. I'm pretty sure they will take Flight into a full sim direction eventually, but I'm hesitent to invest until I have seen at least some comment from MSF that this is the direction they eventually would like to go or at least make available as an option through DLC for those interested. I have a tricked out FSX system to fly until then, but I would not be opposed to investing in MSF right now as a second system while it grows if MSF would indicate they plan to grow it big. In fact, I'm teetering on the edge, its more of a question of when and not if. Regarding the original question posted, I think people that are holding back are mostly people invested in other flight systems and they view MSF as another "system" not just another game - changing systems can take a bit more justification than just picking up a new game.

My big want for a flight Sim I is that flying it is close to flying a real aircraft. That, to me is where Flight shines compared to FS 9 & FS X

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

My big want for a flight Sim I is that flying it is close to flying a real aircraft. That, to me is where Flight shines compared to FS 9 & FS X

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Too me FSX gives me more of that feeling, when Im at an international airport i expect there to be some traffic,and when I turn on the radio I expect hearing some communication, and thats where i think FSX is better giving me the feeling Im there. Flight may have better physics than FSX, but I don't know because im not a real pilot(I've been up in an airplane as passenger).

Also the weather is very important too me, I like when flying conditions change as i fly. Many times I've crashed because i run into a sudden storm I wasnt expecting, never had that with Flight. That whats give me immersion and the feel that Im up in the airplane flying a close too real flight. An empty international airport gives mee the feeling Im in a postmodern world where something have happend and all life disapeared and Im the only on left on this planet.

If you think flying in Alaska will be boring, I don't see how you could get interested in any kind of flying. I had Misty Fjords on FS9 and some nice Alaska scenery, and flew around Alaska every day for about a year, and was never bored. And by the way ATC, is very rare in Alaska, cause in a light aircraft, even at airports that have towers, once you get out of the airport area, you are on your own anyway. It's real flying......

Are you saying that It don't exist or? Dont they even use it in Anchorage? Just asking because I dont have much knowledge on this.. In FSX i get traffic up there, Airliners and GA. Are you saying i should not see any traffic or hear them on the radio? If that's right i guess i would not need AI and ATC in MS Flight..

ATC exists, but it's simply not available in most places. When you're flying along, you'll come near a Remote Communications Outlet (RCO) every 30 minutes or so. That's your chance to get on the radio and file a position report for your flight plan or call for help if you've got a problem.

When filing a low-level flight plan in Alaska it is common practice to note in the remarks "following X highway" or "following Y river". If you stick to this route and make position reports whenever somebody is in radio range, it should be relatively easy for searchers to find you.

As to Anchorage, this says it best:

When you arrive in Anchorage you can breathe a sigh of relief. You're in a big basin and can do some instrument flying at 3000 or 4000'. You're in radar coverage. You can ask for flight following. But don't breathe too deeply because in some ways this is the most dangerous place to fly in Alaska. The downtown general aviation airport (Merrill Field) is just south of Elmendorf Air Force Base where lots of foreigners come to train. The skies are filled with fast-moving, low-flying C130s, F15s, and ground-attack planes. If that doesn't rattle your nerves, Merrill is just east of Anchorage International, one of the world's busiest cargo airports. It seems like every few minutes a windowless 747 is pulling in for refueling on its way to or from Asia. The FAA bureaucrats in Washington have been trying to turn this airspace into Class B (explicit clearance required to enter, all aircraft under positive control), which would seem to make sense because it is indeed busier than some of the Class B airspaces in the Lower 48 (e.g., Raleigh-Durham). However, Alaskans have been fighting against the Class B, which would make it more cumbersome to fly into Anchorage for shopping and dinner, then return home to the gravel bar adjacent to one's cabin. Thus Anchorage remains a mix of Class C, D, E, and G airspace in which local landmarks and procedures are referred to on the radio every few seconds. Call Anchorage Approach when you're 30 miles out and tell them that you're unfamiliar. They're busy but seemingly never too busy to guide a visitor in.

ah ok, thanks alot for some intresting information about ATC in Alaska.

The downtown general aviation airport (Merrill Field) is just south of Elmendorf Air Force Base where lots of foreigners come to train. The skies are filled with fast-moving, low-flying C130s, F15s, and ground-attack planes. If that doesn't rattle your nerves, Merrill is just east of Anchorage International, one of the world's busiest cargo airports. It seems like every few minutes a windowless 747 is pulling in for refueling on its way to or from Asia.

This is just It for me, I wanna see that traffic. Maybe FSX doesnt give me exatly that, but atleast I have some sort of traffic, in the busy areas of alaska.

Anything you put down money on with the understanding that you are likely beginning a long term commitment should be seen as an investment.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

. I think it is kind of like the Apple system,

How ironic you should think this. :LMAO:

(you are right of course - as long as it doesn`t go too Appley )

I think the fact that we expect to know more about Flight is a mark of the respect we all hold flight sims in. Normal games are for Christmas but Flight is for life - if you know what I mean!

Anything you put down money on with the understanding that you are likely beginning a long term commitment should be seen as an investment.

Exactly! And that's why I wondered why flightsim purchases have to be investments (for a lot of people) and (most) other games purchases not! Hence the topic title.

For me flightsim purchases don't have to be investments. They can be seen as game purchases. I buy them to have fun with it NOW. Maybe for a week, maybe a month, maybe for years. But some people only want to buy flight addons if they can be sure they will use if for years while at the same time they buy games just for a week. :wink:

BTW A lot of good posts and interesting views/opinions in this topic!

I think I got to the point with FS9 and the tons of add-ons that I had, and the hours of work I had put into it, that it became frustrating when it wouldn't work properly all the time. When FSX came out, and I realized that I was going to have to start all over again with a new set of problems, that did it, and I lost interest in flying sims, period. That is the way I felt until I tried Flight a couple of weeks ago.

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

For me flightsim purchases don't have to be investments. They can be seen as game purchases. I buy them to have fun with it NOW. Maybe for a week, maybe a month, maybe for years. But some people only want to buy flight addons if they can be sure they will use if for years while at the same time they buy games just for a week.

Well, I strongly hope MS FLIGHT will keep you busy for years!

I never buy any other games, just flight simulator games. When I invest I try to do it for a life :-) problem is most of the time I end up deceptioned with the sim, or something new appears. During years this was my "story", until I restarted flying for real and threw away all my sim stuff... Now, when I returned to try Prepar3D, XPlane10 and then MS FLIGHT, I ended up getting "in love" with the later, and, I believe it'll be for quite a long while...

There is only another investment I keep - ELITE - a rather good one I started in 2003.

While I will still try xp10.10, then 10.20, and maybe other releases, it'll really have to be very very good and different from what it is now for me to decide and invest on it... It's a LOT more expensive.

With MS FLIGHT "investment", just as upgrade/patch is rather smooth and still easy to support even with the bad times we're running through...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Uninstaller since July 2012 when MS ceased development of MS FLIGHT...

Well, I may have to break open my Piggy bank, but I think I can scrape up the $14.99 and buy Alaska. I have paid that much for the scenery at one airport in FS9.

Having read numerous issues of PC Pilot , going through all the FSX add ons available and how much they cost I think Alaska is great value.

Just to put in perspective Alaska in flight costs less than an Alaska mesh in FSX and more or less the same as a FSX mission pack.