Sign in to follow this  
aboodnet

2500k/2600k vs 3930K for FSX

Hello there,

I have just finished building my new rig a couple of weeks ago using intel 3930K which is 6 cores HT processor. I read somewhere that using 4 cores with no HT and overlocking it to 4.5Mhz like 2500k or 2600k is much better than using any top nodge 6 cores processor for FSX. That means using 2500k or 2600k is better than using 3930K for FSX performance (assuming they are overclocked to 4.5mhz) is this true?

System Specs:

Intel 3930K oc to 4.5Mhz stable with Corsair H80 cooling

Asus Sabertooth X79

Corsair RAM 1333

Nvidia GTX 295 (old! i know)

Corsair 120G SSD

Windows 7 64bit

I read somewhere that using 4 cores with no HT and overlocking it to 4.5Mhz like 2500k or 2600k is much better than using any top nodge 6 cores processor for FSX

There's no reason why a 3930K should perform worse than a SB quad at the same speed. You should expect pretty much the same performance in FSX at the same clock & RAM speed

Ik have a 3930K overclocked to 5ghz and I can tell you its way faster than my old 2500K

It all depends on how you define faster. Faster load times? yes. Faster texture loading? yes. Higher FPS? I very much doubt it's much difference. FSX has been designed to improve texture loading and load times by the use of more cores. Not FPS.

That's at a clock for clock. So if your old 2500K didn't run as fast as 5 Ghz I understand if you bet better FPS as well.

And I guess that PCIe 3.0 might help with FPS in certain cenarios as well if your motherboard can have it activated. I hope you combine that nice build you have with an SSD as well to keep the load times as fast as your CPU is able to give you.

Ik have a 3930K overclocked to 5ghz and I can tell you its way faster than my old 2500K

How did you get your cpu to reach 5ghz? i tried for hours to reach that freq. but no luck. What voltages did you use? and what is the watercooling system that you are using? i am using Corsair H80.

Jim,

There's no reason why a 3930K should perform worse than a SB quad at the same speed. You should expect pretty much the same performance in FSX at the same clock & RAM speed

But i read that FSX is a signle core game and the 2500k/2600k beats 3930K in single core benchmarks.

It all depends on how you define faster. Faster load times? yes. Faster texture loading? yes. Higher FPS? I very much doubt it's much difference. FSX has been designed to improve texture loading and load times by the use of more cores. Not FPS.

That's at a clock for clock. So if your old 2500K didn't run as fast as 5 Ghz I understand if you bet better FPS as well.

And I guess that PCIe 3.0 might help with FPS in certain cenarios as well if your motherboard can have it activated. I hope you combine that nice build you have with an SSD as well to keep the load times as fast as your CPU is able to give you.

My old 2500K also ran at 5ghz, but i gain like 3 to 5 fps, but everything is way smoother and everything is maxed out

even traffic, Yes i have 2 SSD's one for windows and one for FSX

How did you get your cpu to reach 5ghz? i tried for hours to reach that freq. but no luck. What voltages did you use? and what is the watercooling system that you are using? i am using Corsair H80.

Jim,

But i read that FSX is a signle core game and the 2500k/2600k beats 3930K in single core benchmarks.

Here are some pictures of my build

http://www.facebook....46806803&type=3

or

http://s84.photobucket.com/albums/k14/nabarun/Silverstone%20temjin%20tj11%20Watercooled/

hope you can see them, My watercooling is completely Custom no "fake" watercooling for me anymore

my cpu load temps are at 5ghz 60°c and idle at 25°c

my gpu load temps are at 50°c and idles around 20°c

my vcore is set to 1.45 and everything is stable (ran prime 95 for 24 hours )

check out some video's from my youtube page

http://www.youtube.c...ze?feature=mhee

My old 2500K also ran at 5ghz, but i gain like 3 to 5 fps, but everything is way smoother and everything is maxed out

or

http://s84.photobuck...11 Watercooled/

hope you can see them, My watercooling is completely Custom no "fake" watercooling for me anymore :good:

my cpu load temps are at 5ghz 60°c and idle at 25°c :good:

or

http://s84.photobuck...11 Watercooled/

hope you can see them, My watercooling is completely Custom no "fake" watercooling for me anymore

my cpu load temps are at 5ghz 60°c and idle at 25°c

Could you also tell what screen resolution you run FSX with? I have a 2700K OC to 4.8 Ghz based system and use a 2560x1600 30" Dell monitor, for perceived smoothness, I have to lower some settings.

Thanks

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Could you also tell what screen resolution you run FSX with? I have a 2700K OC to 4.8 Ghz based system and use a 2560x1600 30" Dell monitor, for perceived smoothness, I have to lower some settings.

Thanks

I play at 3x 1920*1080 i got 3 24" samsung led screens at a resolution off 5760 * 1080

I play at 3x 1920*1080 i got 3 24" samsung led screens at a resolution off 5760 * 1080

Thanks. I found that in order to have no stutters, a 30 FPS is needed. What kind of FPS do you get, say around EDDF on clear day with heavy traffics?

I have to set my traffics to Med. High, with the default scenery to get 30 FPS. Using Aerosoft EDDF, the FPS drops to 20s and I have stutters.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Thanks. I found that in order to have no stutters, a 30 FPS is needed. What kind of FPS do you get, say around EDDF on clear day with heavy traffics?

I have to set my traffics to Med. High, with the default scenery to get 30 FPS. Using Aerosoft EDDF, the FPS drops to 20s and I have stutters.

you asked?

settings :

all sliders maxed out

Used add ons :

Aerosoft Mega Airport Frankfurt X

Pmdg MD 11

REX overdrive + rex weather engine

World Of AI

Enb series

fsx2012-07-1320-06-40-09.jpg

fsx2012-07-1320-06-52-52.jpg

fsx2012-07-1320-07-02-56.jpg

fsx2012-07-1320-07-09-40.jpg

fsx2012-07-1320-08-04-11.jpg

fsx2012-07-1320-08-18-50.jpg

you asked?

settings :

all sliders maxed out

Used add ons :

Aerosoft Mega Airport Frankfurt X

Pmdg MD 11

REX overdrive + rex weather engine

World Of AI

Enb series

fsx2012-07-1320-06-40-09.jpg

fsx2012-07-1320-06-52-52.jpg

fsx2012-07-1320-07-02-56.jpg

fsx2012-07-1320-07-09-40.jpg

fsx2012-07-1320-08-04-11.jpg

fsx2012-07-1320-08-18-50.jpg

Impressive. There is so much controversy around SB 2700K versus SB-E 3930K. I thought there was no advantage to go to 3930K. Now with your results and elsewhere, it seems that there is. Too bad I just spent money on a SB 2700K system!!!

Vu Pham

building rig has never been more confusing lol

Cheers Josh Cliff

Comparative performance claims are easy to make, but objective FSX performance analysis and tracking is another matter entirely. Statements of significant performance superiority of the 3930K over the 2500K at the same processing speed (all else being equal) fly in the face of the knowledge base accumulated from the standardized testing undertaken here in the AVSIM hardware forums.

If anyone wants to revise current thinking, then revise current knowledge by presenting credible evidence within generally accepted provisions for doing so. Run the FSX Benchmark 11 tests, following the directions exactly as outlined, without variation, providing evidence accordingly, and we will see what claims hold when forced into provable, repeatable reality.

As a community we need scientific evidence, objective evaluation, audited numbers, and proven facts, not subjective opinions, esoteric estimates and personal perceptions. There is too much at stake cost, heat, and benefit wise with the 2011 socket set for many members and lurkers making expensive hardware decisions to let unsubstantiated claims that defy known factual findings stand unchallenged.

According to the evidence, the 3930K is an excellent system, but it is much hotter and costlier to purchase and run, without deriving FSX benefits over the 2500K, 2600K and 2700K proven performers, Ghz for Ghz. Why not prove otherwise if possible? That would be great!

Kind regards,

Good job on your system, Nabarun!

Cheers,

Dirk.