Sign in to follow this  
Matthew Kane

Pearl Harbour ban turns into boon for NZ sailors

We've been having quite a bit of a laugh at this one.

As a diplomatic stand against New Zealand's Nuclear-free zone, for your punishment we are going to make you dock you ships....NEXT TO HOOTERS :LMAO:

http://www.stripes.c...-tower-1.182289

This has been some of the best US Diplomacy I have seen in a long time. I am just glad the sailors are having the time of their lives. We don't have Hooters in New Zealand so I can imagine how excited these guys were.

Cheers

Matthew Kane

I wish this RIMPAC would end. The horny sailors won't leave my wife and sister-in-law alone. Too bad it's just me there or else these sailors would all have black eyes and stools upside their heads!

I wish this RIMPAC would end. The horny sailors won't leave my wife and sister-in-law alone. Too bad it's just me there or else these sailors would all have black eyes and stools upside their heads!

LOL - Truth to that. I used to live in Halifax, Nova Scotia which is a major Navy port as well. It was annoying when there was a shore leave.

Before New Zealand became a Nuclear Free Zone their was many stories about the sailors getting drunk around Wellington. This ban isn't a USA thing as the NZ ban is for any country with nuclear vessels. NZ doesn't single out the USA, this also includes UK, France or any other nuclear fleet. So it is quiet around NZ now as just the Aussies come and visit from time to time.

Matthew Kane

Having been in the Navy for "awhile", I have a couple thoughts:

1. Whenever my ship goes anywhere, I always pray we don't stay at the local naval base - whatever country we're in. The base is usually in a nowhere location, a good distance from where you want to spend your off time. Whenever we went to San Diego, for example, we always wanted to park on Broadway Pier, since it was just a few blocks from the gaslight district.

2. Pearl Harbor during RIMPAC can be a busy place. There are good places for your ship to park, and there are bad ones. Last time I was there (2008), we had an awesome spot - just across the road from Club Pearl. The time before, we got parked at the "Jetty of Shame". Despite the name, there are even worse places within Pearl Harbor that the Navy can assign you for berthing. Another time we went to Hawaii for an exercise, and skipped Oahu altogether by going to Maui.

3. For those reasons, I suspect that this may be less "snubbing", and more likely "RNZN making a better choice". I feel this despite the sensational news articles that came out over the last few days. I wonder if the Navy gave the RNZN a choice in the matter, and perhaps the nuclear-free aspect played into it, but I believe the decision was as much New Zealand's decision. They knew the berthing arrangements beforehand, and they could have chosen not to come if they felt snubbed.

Having said all that, RIMPAC often involves a mini sports tournament that the Kiwis might be missing out on, not to mention the awesome fireworks display the Yanks put on for 4th July (I'm sure they had fireworks downtown too).

3. For those reasons, I suspect that this may be less "snubbing", and more likely "RNZN making a better choice". I feel this despite the sensational news articles that came out over the last few days. I wonder if the Navy gave the RNZN a choice in the matter, and perhaps the nuclear-free aspect played into it, but I believe the decision was as much New Zealand's decision. They knew the berthing arrangements beforehand, and they could have chosen not to come if they felt snubbed.

I believe it was not a snub as well. Just turned into a media spectacle.

Like I mentioned briefly above that NZ doesn't single out the USA in this policy and there is no reason for the USA to single out NZ either (and I don't feel that is happening). Their are many Nuclear-Free-Zones on the planet and NZ is not the only one. NZ is just different due to its strategic location in the Pacific so it can be a pain for the US, UK, France or anyone else this far away from home to not be able to dock here. This is the reason the US Navy would like to see it changed.

I was out for a pint with a friend that works at the US Embassy in Wellington a few weeks ago and he asked me my POV on this one. Basically after what happened in the Japanese Tsunami and also the recent Rina disaster, the people in NZ will show increased support for our Nuclear-Free policy as the last thing we would want is for someones nuclear vessel to run into one of our reefs. That container ship Rina was disaster enough. Also Nuclear Power isn't a good option on an island with heavy earthquake activity.

Cheers

Matthew Kane

The worst spot in Pearl is birthed by BB-39.

The worst spot in Pearl is birthed by BB-39.

Really? Is it worse than USS Utah's? How about "BB-37"? How about any other ship that was sunk, from any country? I was only speaking on behalf of myself as to where I'd like my ship to be parked, as a matter of convenience for myself. I was not speaking to the final disposition of those permanently entombed within Pearl Harbor, in case it wasn't clear.

Also, it is "berthed". I crack myself up...

The closest spot to that is the carrier pier.

And as both a former Oahu resident and Navy man, I do miss RIMPAC.

This has been some of the best US Diplomacy I have seen in a long time. I am just glad the sailors are having the time of their lives.

Payback for our WESTPACs from the '80's.

I remember seeing a handful of (anti-nuc.) protesters at Fremantle (Perth WA) when we tied up there.

USMC 1st Battalion 3rd Marines - Trusty Shellback

Also, it is "berthed".

LOL.. well, I was in the right area.

I was only speaking on behalf of myself as to where I'd like my ship to be parked,

That wasn't a critique of your post, but it got me to thinking about other bad spots in Pearl. Of the 2000 plus people killed at Pearl, 1,100 were on the Arizona... Making it the worst spot.

I would think that anywhere on Ford Island would be a bad spot because of the further distance it is from town. It would make for a more expensive cab ride back to your ship.

Been a while since I was in Honolulu but if I recall that side of Ford Island is a memorial and nothing else beths there, they stilll have berths on the other side of the island (otherside of the landing strip). The Missouri and Arizona are now a memorial and museum so I don't think anything berths near them.

Matthew Kane

The "Giant Golf Ball" is moored on the Aiea side of Ford Island. Parking at Aloha tower is nice (it's where the cruise ships berth) but Pearl isn't that far away. We used to call the berth around the corner by the shipyard the "penalty box". (IIRC B17/18?). When I was assigned to a frigate here there were many more surface ships, with the tender Jason "hogging" the prime space on Bravo Pier. If you had a junior CO, typically you were moored 3rd outboard, a real PITA for all concerned.

scott s.

We've been having quite a bit of a laugh at this one.

As a diplomatic stand against New Zealand's Nuclear-free zone, for your punishment we are going to make you dock you ships....NEXT TO HOOTERS :LMAO:

http://www.stripes.c...-tower-1.182289

This has been some of the best US Diplomacy I have seen in a long time. I am just glad the sailors are having the time of their lives. We don't have Hooters in New Zealand so I can imagine how excited these guys were.

Cheers

"When they first came (to the bar), I looked up and there were like 100 of them," DeWoody said. "It got busy. And they are nice dudes."

Looks like your sailors are doing good PR for NZ and its navy anyway :smile:

I can sympathise with NZ's anti-nuke policy; Like Oz, it's an ecologically unique place that's suffered more than enough environmental disruption from imported alien plants and animals in the past (not to mention the earthquakes and generally shuddery ground).