Sign in to follow this  
joolsd

Can't seem to loss speed even with the Spoilers out with AS2012

Also I have just started using Active Sky 2012, using VATSIM weather when flying the NGX.

I was wondering if anybody else was experienceing any issues that make flying difficult.

Tonight I really tried to fly in to the destination airport nice and slow and easy.

The weather was very thundery and there was turbulance which I set to medium in AS.

At about 5000f the controlller gave me a decent of to 4000f and then quite quickly to 3000f.

The speed though just kept rising even with the spoilers out all the time.

I even put some flap out 10 knot to early (over the green marker) to try and slow things out. I know your not meant to slow the plane with flaps but I was interested to see if the thing would slow.

I had some difficulty the other night on the same flight trying to loss some speed, so this time I was more carfull.

The final vector on to the LOC was given but I was too high. And had to go through the LOC.

I have been flying this plane for quite a while without this problem, so I do suspect the problems arise from AS2012?

I would be interested to know what are the best settings for the PMDG in AS2012?

Shameless plug but check my video which will always sort your descent problems

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

Air France 447 disproves this theory and again where are you getting this information? other than OAPA.

Regards.

Let me know how often you'll get vertical winds upwards with 160 km/h with this simulator? Besides that I think he said "rule of thumb"...

/Baudie

Shameless plug but check my video which will always sort your descent problems

Sorry...your description of ISA is totally wrong. ISA (or International Standard Atmosphere) is equal to +15'C at sea level with a corresponding air pressure of 1013.25 hPa, not minus 15 degrees Celcius as you indicate in your video.

With a temperature of +31'C at Bari (elev 182ft) that would give an ISA DEVIATION of approximately +16'C (plus 16 degrees Celcius above ISA).

10 seconds on the tinternet gives this:

http://en.wikipedia....dard_Atmosphere

While AI is required when visible moisture is present at or below 10'C it is not normally required when the SAT (Static Air Temperature) is lower than -40'C (i.e. -41'C & onwards). At temperatures lower than a SAT of -40'C airframe & engine icing does not normally occur.

PROG P2/4 will help when determining the SAT in the NGX.

<FORECAST info should always be entered into the CDU WELL BEFORE the VNAV computed T/D. Any entry after the T/D (& therefore during the DES) is going to affect the VNAV PTH - this can be seen on your inboard DU. This is not helpful to the op who already has issues slowing his NGX down.

Regards

Steve Bell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato (latterly attributed to Saul Bellow)

The most useful tool on the AVSIM Fora ... 'Mark forum as read'

Sorry...your description of ISA is totally wrong. ISA (or International Standard Atmosphere) is equal to +15'C at sea level with a corresponding air pressure of 1013.25 hPa, not minus 15 degrees Celcius as you indicate in your video.

With a temperature of +31'C at Bari (elev 182ft) that would give an ISA DEVIATION of approximately +16'C (plus 16 degrees Celcius).

I think he meant by -15 degrees gets added to your +31, the result is the same. Just a different (albeit confusing) way of saying take 15C away 31C = (approx) +16C ISA deviation. He didn't mean the ISA is -15C. Thats how I took it anyway.

He didn't mean the ISA is -15C. Thats how I took it anyway.

The pop up that appears on the screen at about 1:40 onwards & his description clearly states otherwise - whilst you & I probably know otherwise this forum (& YT for that matter) is/are littered with innacuracies that themselves create a myriad of issues for those with less experience.

Its nothing personal, but an incorrect ISA entry (& fiddling in the <FORECAST Page) can play havoc with VNAV thus causing further angst in the mind of a simmer already encountering issues.

Steve Bell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato (latterly attributed to Saul Bellow)

With a temperature of +31'C at Bari (elev 182ft) that would give an ISA DEVIATION of approximately +16'C (plus 16 degrees Celcius above ISA).

10 seconds on the tinternet gives this:

http://en.wikipedia....dard_Atmosphere

While AI is required when visible moisture is present at or below 10'C it is not normally required when the SAT (Static Air Temperature) is lower than -40'C (i.e. -41'C & onwards). At temperatures lower than a SAT of -40'C airframe & engine icing does not normally occur.

PROG P2/4 will help when determining the SAT in the NGX.

<FORECAST info should always be entered into the CDU WELL BEFORE the VNAV computed T/D. Any entry after the T/D (& therefore during the DES) is going to affect the VNAV PTH - this can be seen on your inboard DU. This is not helpful to the op who already has issues slowing his NGX down.

Regards

Ahh Steven, did you get out on the wrong side of bed? :P

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

Ahh Steven, did you get out on the wrong side of bed? :P

Never! I don't know what you mean... :ph34r:

Steve Bell

The pop up that appears on the screen at about 1:40 onwards & his description clearly states otherwise - whilst you & I probably know otherwise this forum (& YT for that matter) is/are littered with innacuracies that themselves create a myriad of issues for those with less experience.

I agree fully with what you're saying here (I think everyone around here knows I really try to stomp out simisms when I get the chance), but I just want to play a little devil's advocate.

Looking at it, I agree that it looks like it's stating that the ISA temperature is -15C at sea level, but what it's attempting to say is that in order to find ISA, you subtract 15 at sea level. I wish it had been written another way (e.g.: ISA = Temp - 15C, at sea level), and I think it would be more effective for the simmer population if it had been written another way, but it's not outright incorrect.

Kyle Rodgers

Looking at it, I agree that it looks like it's stating that the ISA temperature is -15C at sea level, but what it's attempting to say is that in order to find ISA, you subtract 15 at sea level. I wish it had been written another way (e.g.: ISA = Temp - 15C, at sea level), and I think it would be more effective for the simmer population if it had been written another way, but it's not outright incorrect.

Playing devils advocate II, he is not trying to find ISA he is trying to find the ISA Deviation.

Regards, :acute:

Dave Baggs.

EGLL.

Playing devils advocate II, he is not trying to find ISA he is trying to find the ISA Deviation.

Haha. Devil's advocate would mean you're defending me just for the sake of a counterargument. Correcting me is simply correcting me. Either way, you are correct. I should've written ISA DEV = [...].

Kyle Rodgers

I agree fully with what you're saying here (I think everyone around here knows I really try to stomp out simisms when I get the chance), but I just want to play a little devil's advocate.

Fair enough - but we should remember that we are looking at this from an informed perspective.

Imagine that up until you watched the vid you had never heard of ISA, ISA Deviation or the <FORECAST function in the FMS.

With that in mind some more of the devils advocacy - using the methodology illustrated in the vid what would the ISA Deviation be at Mexico City with an OAT of +32'C?

A considerable difference or error from the correct calculation if the sums are done correctly & I'll be the first to say that I am using an extreme example to make my point.

If a less experienced simmer used this methodology he/she would cause themselves lots of head scratching as his/her NGX departs from the PTH that he/she helped it calculate with a flawed methodology.

Although not relevant to the PMDG Forum an 'FS'ism' or 'PMDG'ism' thread would be fun & probably quite informative.

Steve Bell

I would like to remind you that tutorial 2 recommends to enter ISA DEV at 18000' due to FSX limitations.

And on NGX QNH entry on DES FORECAST page not affects the descend path, not sure about ISA DEV. So I don't think too many people will worry about it before SP2.

Your spoilers are ment to reduce lift, not to increase drag. You would need speed brakes (like on military jets or fokker 100) to reduce speed quicker. The key is planning ahead, spoilers aren't a magical solution for reducing your speed. I have to use the spoilers in the air maybe once in 10 flights, and I use as2012.

Every flight I've ever been on they have used spoilers to reduce speed on approach.