Sign in to follow this  
Air1

Fairbanks adventure

I took a flight nurse and poor old sick Greg from Tatitna to Fairbanks. We landed on 20 R on the numbers and stopped. Well the General aviation parking area was like 10 miles away. So...........I water skied across the large pond between the runways right up to the ambulance. You would think that the passengers would be a little more appreciative for all the time I saved them, not. I noticed a lot of smoke coming from the other side of the airport. I decided to check it out and see what it was. It turned out to be a large chimney in a factory/ warehouse area. So I landed in a small park near by, shut down, got out and started walking toward the smoke. I was almost there and the smoke just stopped. Now I was lost, so I started down hill looking for the railroad tracks I know I crossed going into the park. I found the tracks and fallowed them back to the park and the cub. I turned into the 18 knt wind, dropped full flaps and had no trouble clearing the trees. I then did some IFR work ( I fallow railroad tracks ) Found a very empty railroad switch yard with a section missing,did some more water skiing, flew under some bridges, landed in some more very small parks. All and all a very good day. The Fairbanks area has lots of interesting places to explore.

Great story and pics! I don't remember having this much fun in Hawaii.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Great story and pics - If only I was as creative as Air1 maybe I wouldn't want MS to release Alaska Missions so bad! :biggrin:

It only takes a little imagination and some curiosity.

When I was flying Orbiter extensively, I noticed that Dutch Harbor always appeared on the globe. It was an interesting landmark, and when I got back to flying FSX I decided to go check it out. This involved a flight from Dallas all the way to Alaska (with a couple of stops at airports near online friends' houses) in the Grumman Goose... real world weather provided by Active Sky. It turned out that Dutch Harbor was very intersting. Later I discovered the weather cams at http://akweathercams.faa.gov/sitelist.php which were great. Ended up doing some research on the place.

The first thing I did when confronted with Flight's Alaska map (and no indication of what to do, with no missions and such) was to start from off the map to the southeast and fly along the southern coast of Alaska all the way to Dutch Harbor. I did a couple of stops to rest along the way, nothing special. I expected to have to refuel the Maule in Cold Bay, but when I got there I discovered I still had enough fuel to reach Dutch Harbor. Made it the whole way on one tank of gas.

I found a lot of places in FSX that were interesting enough to do additional research on them.

Mostly, just fly around exploring. You never know what you might find. The most intesting place I've found so far in Flight is Merrill Pass, west of Anchorage.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

...got out and started walking toward the smoke. I was almost there and the smoke just stopped...

Maybe they thought you were from a "environment agency" or something! :LMAO:

Really liked the story and pictures! I hope to read more of the "Tales of Mr. Air1"! :biggrin:

-------

Keep on flying!