Sign in to follow this  
altstiff

Merging autogen files

Can some one point me to a tutorial on how to merge autogen files?

I could likely tell you what you want to know because I do a lot with autogen, but I have absolutely no idea what you mean by "merging autogen". Can you provide a scenario of what it is you're trying to accomplish, or is that classified information?

I could likely tell you what you want to know because I do a lot with autogen, but I have absolutely no idea what you mean by "merging autogen". Can you provide a scenario of what it is you're trying to accomplish, or is that classified information?

For example, some developers when installing custom autogen (France VFR for example), just use their own SPB files. Such as "RoofDescription.spb" and do not merge them with other files. So, if you have say, Iceland X installed, this gets over written with the FVFR file and you will not see the autogen from Iceland X. If I have two seperate RoofDescription.spb files and want to merge them into one file how would one do this?

I understand they have a SPB to XML converter and that the FSX DVD has an XML to SPB converter but I have no idea how to use it.

Am I making any sense? :lol:

I see, yes that makes sense. I've never tried it but I think you can do that with the annotator (or more correctly the "Autogen Configuration Editor" that's sort of built into the annotator). If you open both of the .spbs at once you can copy all the groupings from one and paste them into the other. Any identically named groupings it appears will be renamed "Copy of (whatever)" so you can just select them all and delete them. Not sure what happens if one of your developers has edited the groupings (rather than adding new), maybe it'd be OK to just leave the copys there just in case. Then do the same with the regionalizations and theoretically you should have everything merged into one file - I think. Like I said, I've never tried it, not sure if it'll work. I would make good backups first :smile: .

Jim

Can some one point me to a tutorial on how to merge autogen files?

Earth Simulations have a tool called MergES that does what you want. Its free, but you have to download ESI. Once its installed and running you can select and download it from AIR\Free Files

You can download ESI from here http://www.earthsimulations.com/Forum/viewforum.php?f=3. Just click the Gold globe labelled ESI.

Stephen Munn

Earth Simulations have a tool called MergES that does what you want. Its free, but you have to download ESI. Once its installed and running you can select and download it from AIR\Free Files

You can download ESI from here http://www.earthsimu...ewforum.php?f=3. Just click the Gold globe labelled ESI.

Sadly that utility does not work for me (and many others). It does not merge the autogen as it states...(unless they fixed it?)

I see, yes that makes sense. I've never tried it but I think you can do that with the annotator (or more correctly the "Autogen Configuration Editor" that's sort of built into the annotator). If you open both of the .spbs at once you can copy all the groupings from one and paste them into the other. Any identically named groupings it appears will be renamed "Copy of (whatever)" so you can just select them all and delete them. Not sure what happens if one of your developers has edited the groupings (rather than adding new), maybe it'd be OK to just leave the copys there just in case. Then do the same with the regionalizations and theoretically you should have everything merged into one file - I think. Like I said, I've never tried it, not sure if it'll work. I would make good backups first :smile: .

Jim

Thanks Jim.

On 3/17/2016 at 6:52 PM, robs said:

Old thread I know but you might want to take a look at these autogen compatibility files which solve lots of autogen issues with sceneries from different developers......

http://www.arm-computers.co.uk/EarthSims_Help/Q_1_/Q_2_/Q_3_/q_3_.html

You shouldn't need this now if you're running P3D4.4.  The sim can handle multiple autogen definitions now.

With prior versions of the sim you could use Arno Gerretsons Autogen Configuration Merge program, which is simple to use and achieved the same end result.

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

ARM Computers web site has closed. I ran it as a free resource for many years, unfortunately as costs increased I was left with changing to a subscription site, asking for donations or closing. For personal reasons I chose the latter. I was also aware than most of my site had been 'ripped off' by Flyaway Simulations so stuff can be obtained from them.

If there is anything particular that you need I can still make it available directly from my master files.

Tony