Sign in to follow this  
ofentress

Ray Smith

I picked two other airports of Ray's at random just to see if there was a pattern.

1. Phoenix Sky Harbor KPHX - same type of shadowing.

2. Baltimore KBWI - perfect, no shadows.

I didn't look at any others since I figured that if this problem was somehow solved, it would solve other airports also.

I double checked GEX and UTX and all is well there.

I'm really stumped as I've never had any trouble with any of Ray's airports in the past and I've got maybe upwards of fifty of them installed.

Needless to say, if anyone has any idea as to how to fix this it would be appreciated.

Jack

Look at the airport in Google Earth, you'll see a difference in ground type around the apron area

I think the "shadow" story sounds more plausible. Look at the white pickup at the right. It's partially covered by this "shadow". I would doubt a ground type would do that.

I looked at Ray's Sky Harbor and it has the same object as El Paso.

Again, the object does not display (maybe it's geo-locked?) but it's shadow does.

It is an odd effect and I doubt it is intentional.

The object can be removed easily with ADEX, or turn off "Ground scenery shadows".

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

It is looking for textures LIRF_MAP12, LIRF_MAP12_LM and LIRF-MAP12_SPECULAR which are in \Scenery\EURW\Texture.

It is looking for textures LIRF_MAP12, LIRF_MAP12_LM and LIRF-MAP12_SPECULAR which are in \Scenery\EURW\Texture.

...and they show up fine in Italy...

[edit]

...and after copying them to ...\FSX\Addon Scenery\texture, with Ray's files in ...\FSX\Addon Scenery\scenery I get this at El Paso...

I doubt this is what Ray intended it to look like.

sigbar.gif

And they also show at KELP ;)

kelpl.jpg

Just remove KELP_ADE_OBJ.BGL from Global\Scenery.

George

Well, I've removed the OBJ.BGL file and turned the ground scenery shadows back on and the problem has disappeared. However, I'm not skilled enough to figure what is lost by removing the OBJ.BGL file from the scenery. The scenery looks the same (except for no more shadow areas) but there must be a difference, otherwise why have the file to begin with.

Also. I couldn't find a KELP ADEX. Where would I look for that? I did a search on my system and turned up 571 ADEX files, but none for KELP.

I'm hoping that Ray will "plug in" to the forum and see what's been going on. Maybe Tom A. could contact him about this if he had a bit of time. Tom?

Jack

what is lost by removing the OBJ.BGL file from the scenery

This is KELP in ADEX without the object file...

...and this is KELP with the object file...

What you lose by removing that file is lots of eye candy.

The airport will still work, AI won't know the difference. It's all about the eye candy.

regards,

Joe

sigbar.gif

If you are using KELP, it looks like if you set your scenery to DENSE it will turn off the LIRF hanger, though of course you loose other things as well.

scott s.

hello everyone,

I have only just fallen out of bed to be greeted by Toms email about this thread this morning

i have no idea what is the problem some are having,

i see no problem and neither did any of my beta testers, out of the hundreds of downloads i have not had any emails about this strange occurrence either!

so i don't quite know what i am supposed to fix!

many do have issues with other addons conflicting with my files............

there is certainly nothing like that in my file, the pictures I supplied with these uploaded files show nothing either!

perhaps it's another one of those weird FSX issues, i just don't know.............

time for breakfast

Ray

Well Ray...........

Really can't argue with you. Although I've had a miniscule problem with KELP (and KHPX), I've had no problems with "tons" of your other sceneries.

Both sceneries are completely useable in their present form despite the phantom building shadows. So, I guess, onward and upward. FSX is what it is and sometimes there's no explanation for the little idioincrysyncracies that happen.

.........and Ray, please keep on making your wonderful scenery add ons.

Thank you Tom for trying to help with this.

Why don't we move on to more important issues!

Jack

All due respect, Ray, and thanks for all your contributions.

I note in your screenshots that you do not have "Ground scenery shadows" turned on. Without them you will not see the shadow.

I have decompiled the OBJ files for KELP and KPHX. Both of those files contain the model for the LIRF hangar.

If you do not have the textures for that object in the texture folder paired with the scenery folder that contains the OBJ.bgl the buildings will not display.

If you would be so kind as to try a couple things for us.

Check those airports with a check in the box for "Ground scenery shadows". This box can be found on the "Scenery" tab of the FSX display settings.

Could you also/or try copying LIRF_MAP12.dds from ...\FSX\Scenery\EURW\Texture to the texture folder for the scenery area containing the OBJ.bgl files for KELP and KPHX. Then check the airports for the wayward hangar.

Thanks again for all your addons, they make FSX so much nicer.

regards,

Joe

[edit]

PS. I don't intend to be a pain in the arse about this, but if there is a chance this is a bug in ADE I would like Jon to know about it.

[/edit]

sigbar.gif

hello everyone,

I have only just fallen out of bed to be greeted by Toms email about this thread this morning

i have no idea what is the problem some are having,

i see no problem and neither did any of my beta testers, out of the hundreds of downloads i have not had any emails about this strange occurrence either!

so i don't quite know what i am supposed to fix!

many do have issues with other addons conflicting with my files............

there is certainly nothing like that in my file, the pictures I supplied with these uploaded files show nothing either!

perhaps it's another one of those weird FSX issues, i just don't know.............

time for breakfast

Ray

Ray, I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Thanks for making so many FSX default airports more realistic! Your contributions to the freeware community are much appreciated!

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

PS. I don't intend to be a pain in the arse about this, but if there is a chance this is a bug in ADE I would like Jon to know about it.

There is no bug in ADE, the fault is in the KELP obj file.

George

The error is indeed in the object file and it only shows when you have ground shadows on and scenery density higher than dense.

I have removed that LIRF building for me just for testing purposes and the error is gone.

(same with KPHX)

cls_gilbert_banner_sma77bx.jpg