Sign in to follow this  
Ben Cap

FSX 3D Vision 2

Hi,

I am considering this new hardware very seriously. Does anyone around here happen to have the newer Nvidia 3D Vision 2 working with FSX? How well does it work? Any major bugs?

Guest Jeff M Lichtman

I would like a review myself. I'm building a new rig and am scoping out displays to go with it. Wondering if it's worth it to go for the Asus 27inch 3d vision or just a regular 32 inch 2d HD.... Any advice would be appreciated!

Same here, but Jeff, I'd definitely go the Asus 278h! I've a 27 inch non-3d, flee MS Flight heaps with Nvidias Anaglyph mode, search my channel for a vid or 2! Even with this base red/cyan mode, the experience was AMAZING. The screen feels bigger, since it's like a window into another world. But that game had great fps, FSX is Tougher! You'll halve your frames if u go 3d. Im picking up the new love of my life (i7 3770k and gtx670 OC) this weekend, if it goes well I'll probably get that screen on sale next yr. Or wait for commercial OCULUS RIFT, google THAT!!

Guest Jeff M Lichtman

I agree Simmo.... I'm leaning heavily towards the Asus 27 inch 3d.... There really doesn't seem to be another good alternative if you want the 3d option. 24 inches is too small and a 3d tv would be too big since I'm right in front of it.

Congrats on the new rig.... keep me posted on performance. Mine's similar, the 3770k and 680..... I went with the 680 because crap, at that point why try and save 100 bucks and wonder what if.... even though likely performance will be about the same as the 670! Should be up and running in about two weeks.... I live outside the US so shipping is slower. Once that's going then I'll get the monitor.... that is if I'm not broke yet.

I agree Simmo.... I'm leaning heavily towards the Asus 27 inch 3d.... There really doesn't seem to be another good alternative if you want the 3d option. 24 inches is too small and a 3d tv would be too big since I'm right in front of it.

Congrats on the new rig.... keep me posted on performance. Mine's similar, the 3770k and 680..... I went with the 680 because crap, at that point why try and save 100 bucks and wonder what if.... even though likely performance will be about the same as the 670! Should be up and running in about two weeks.... I live outside the US so shipping is slower. Once that's going then I'll get the monitor.... that is if I'm not broke yet.

When you get 3D Vision 2 set up, please post back. I have a few questions about functionality and I'd really like to know how well it works with FSX.

yeah interested in this too...

I do have one really stupid question though.

If I have a video card capable of 3d do I need a 3d monitor or will it work just with glasses....like a tv?

thanks lee

I have used Nvidia's 3D glasses for a few years. The "2" version only differs in the monitors (brighter), not FSX's ability to use it. 3D is a lot of fun, but due to FSX programming there are a few limitations.

Night flying is largely impossible. Effects, including all the default lights, are not rendered in 3D, so the Nvidia driver can't change that. This means 2D lights that will make your eyes bug out. Landing while seeing two runways is no fun.

Some other 2D displays (glass cockpits, HUDs) will look strange as will windows for ATC or similar. These are still fully useable, just a bit odd visually.

Ghosting, 3D not quite right off center of vision, and other quirks exist for some users. This is not solely based on hardward choice (same hardware, different users, different results known to happen). I have not experienced these problems.

Multiple monitors are only fully supported with SLI and 3 identical monitors. Other setups will produce 3D on the main monitor and varying results on others depending on the particular graphics cards, drivers, day of the week, mood of the computer, et cetera. I have operated such dual monitor systems fairly happily, but sometimes 3D would just not work.

I have been using Nvidia 3D Ver1 with a 23" Alienware monitor for ages... I agree with the comments above BUT one you are hooked on 3D there is no going back... The PMDG 737NX looks amazing...

I use FSX in 3D with Squakbox & Vatsim (in windows mode) with no issues.... Once you get use to where the hot spots and buttons are (slight off to the right) in the virtual cockpit you are good to go.

I will be puchasing ASUS 27" pack shortly... I dont expect a massive difference but with a bigger monitor and bigger lens in the glasses its going to be awesone.

Andrew.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Let us know how it goes Andrew. When I went from a 23 to 27 inch 2d monitor, it felt huge. Still does, its a great size.

How hard is the nvidia 3d on fps? Like half? 2/3rds?

I am considering purchasing the nvidia 3d vision 2 glasses just for the brightness alone. I would also like to upgrade to a 27" monitor from a 23" but I am concerned about frame rates as well. Any reports from users?

Mike Keigley

How hard is the nvidia 3d on fps? Like half? 2/3rds?

If you go with a SLI config, the nvidia drivers will use the extra GPU for 3D processing. I have two 480(s) in SLI and I see such a small FPS drop it is hard to quantify - mabye 1 or 2 FPS max. Basically, if single GPU usage is less than 50% (e.g., using MSI Afterburner) in FSX, then all other things being equal (e.g., 3DVision monitor at same res) the same GPU x 2 in a SLI config running 3DVision will be able to maintain approx. the same framerate.

I have been using the Nvidia 3d option for sometime and its very easy to check the frame rate differrence all you do is press the button the Nvidia receiver and you are back to 2D..... Seriously there is no difference on my system.

All the 3D monitors run at 1920X1080 so again no impact on frame rate moving from 23" to 27" just more realestate... I flying in 3D windows mode this way I can still use Squakbox and have adjusted contract and brightness through the Nvidia control panel.

Nvidia 3D series 2 fixes a lot of issue compared to series 1 and if you fly reguarly in 3D this is worth the upgrade the Ausus 27" monitor is packaged with the Nvidia 3D series 2 package..

Andrew