Sign in to follow this  
planenut

Eaglesoft CJ1 FMS-Autopilot Coupling (or lack of)

After inputting a flightplan in the FMC and setting up the autopilot in nav mode, the autopilot won't follow the FMS. I have to hand fly it. The flight director seems to indicate the proper path but the autopilot won't follow it either. I've got the right bearing source selected on the PFD. The AP will follow the GPS if I use it instead of the FMC.

Anybody have any idea of what I am or am not doing? Can't figure this one out. Before anybody asks, I have already posted this problem over in the Eaglesoft forum almost a month ago with not a peep from anyone.

Sure could use some guidance here. Thanks.

Jim

Hi Jay,

The course line on the PFD is magenta. Also on the PFD it shows (on left) FMS1, DTK 092, K8A3, 53.1 nm. All in magenta.

What I have done is to set up a round robin flight from KM33 to K8A3 to KGLW and back to KM33 (Tennesee & Kentucky). The route shows all three legs with the first leg in magenta and the other two legs in white

The autopilot will hold my selected altitude ok but won't follow the route. I still have lateral control even with the AP Nav button pressed, whereas normally when in Nav, I can't control direction unless I disconnect the AP. Which is how all planes react.

Jim

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Eaglesoft\CJ1+ Primary Avionics Manual.pdf has a wealth of info on this...

Jim, we can't find the post you refer to.

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Hey Ron, this is off topic, but could you, or somebody from ES activate my new support forum account please. (grahamb3) B)

Hey Ron, this is off topic, but could you, or somebody from ES activate my new support forum account please. (grahamb3) B)

Done sir!

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Hi Jay,

The course line on the PFD is magenta. Also on the PFD it shows (on left) FMS1, DTK 092, K8A3, 53.1 nm. All in magenta.

What I have done is to set up a round robin flight from KM33 to K8A3 to KGLW and back to KM33 (Tennesee & Kentucky). The route shows all three legs with the first leg in magenta and the other two legs in white

The autopilot will hold my selected altitude ok but won't follow the route. I still have lateral control even with the AP Nav button pressed, whereas normally when in Nav, I can't control direction unless I disconnect the AP. Which is how all planes react.

Jim

Sorry I didnt get back sooner, Avsim is no longer sending me emails for replies after their last forum update.....

Your route is confusing me, I cant find KM33 or K8A3 in the FSX database or in Airnav.com

In any case it's impossible to create a 'round robin' flight plan in FS, so that may be your problem. You would have to make 2 FP's, one for each direction, or end at a airport different from where you took off.

Try a simple FP with departure, a waypoint, and a destination and see in the FMC / AP will follow it

Jay

Ron,

My post is on the Eaglesoft CJ1 Extreme 2.0 Support Forum dated July 13th. Title is "FMS Autopilot Control".

Also, I've been reading the manual but maybe missed something. I'll keep going through it.

Jim

Jay,

I am not using FS to create this flightplan. I'm inputting it directly into the FMC. That being said, when I input the waypoints, I use KM33 and K8A3 instead of M33 and 8A3 as they are shown in FS. The reason I add the "K" is because if I don't, the round robin flight plan showing all three legs doesn't show up. It (MFD) only shows a direct path to KGLW. Doesn't show the other two waypoints ( M33 and 8A3) Don't know what the fix is for this.

I did create the same flight directly into the FMC without the "K's" to see what would happen. Since the flightplan only shows direct to KGLW, that's what the autopilot attempts to follow. It does a fair job but overshoots the flight path quite a bit - just kind of wallows back and forth across the flight path by quite a bit. Also, I can still fly the course manually with "Nav" engaged so when it has a big overshoot, I still manually fly it back on course without disengaging the "Nav" mode. That seems odd to me.

What it boils down to is that I can't program a flight directly into the FMC using the airport identifiers as shown in FS. Guess I'll keep hitting the manual to see what I'm missing in my procedures.

Jim

It may be that its not recognizing your input as waypoints, rather as destinations....I dont think you can just add a 'K', as the database wont recognize it as legit.

Try a different FP, using just 3 points, departure airport, a vor as a waypoint, and a destination, use identifiers different from your current one and see what happens

Jay