Sign in to follow this  
Luis_KMIA

"Failed to read from file" & CTD

Hello,

My CTD experiences have been few and usually dealt with OOM errors.

However, over the last couple of weeks, I've been getting a CTD that results in a dialogue box stating "Failed to read from file". The only changes I make to my FSX are usually additions of scenery products, and this error has occurred in both default and add-on sceneries.

I've been running FSX on the same system since December virtually error-free. You can see my specs on my profile.

Does anyone know what file FSX is trying to read when this error happens? Does this have to do with file corruption?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide!

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

Guest firehawk44

Most likely it's a FSX scenery issue. Go into the FSX Scenery Library and disable all addon sceneries above Propeller Objects. Run FSX and see if this fixes the problem. If it does, reenable your scenery one at a time until the problem reoccurs. You will then know which scenery is corrupt and you can uninstall/reinstall it. Did you move any addon scenery to another harddrive? If you moved or deleted any default aircraft, you will have a problem too. Commercial programs sometimes uses gauges and sounds found in default aircraft and, if they are not where they are suppose to be, you'll see a crash.

Another possibility is a corrupt scenery.cfg. You can check your working scenery.cfg for corruption by opening the file up and looking to make sure Areas match the Layers and the scenery is in numerical order. Or you can use the freeware Scenery Config Editor - http://sourceforge.net/projects/fs-sceditor/files/V1.0/.

Another possibility is a corrupt dll.xml. You can check this for corruption and repair it by downloading the free tool from Flight 1 - http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library.

If none of the above suggestions work, check your Event Viewer and see if there's any additional information regarding the faulting module. This error use to occur when FS could not find the sound.dll and that was the faulting module. A repair of FSX would fix that problem. If you are not familiar with the Event Viewer, click on the Start button, then click on Help and Support. Once Help and Support is open, type Event Viewer in the search bar. You will then have a link to the program plus information on how it works. You want to find an error relating to FSX. An 'event' is recorded at the time and date of each CTD in FSX.

If you are still having the issue I'm afraid you'll have to reinsert Disk 1 of FSX and select repair. Make sure you 'repair' SP1 and SP2 too OR, if you have Acceleration, you run the repair on that program too.

Best regards,

Jim

Thanks, Jim. I''ll try these suggestions over the next few days.

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

Hello Luis,

I have the same problem showing since a week. Did the tips Jim gave solved your problem? The only thing I can add is that after the message "cannot read from fle", my E drive, on which Fsx is installed, has disappeared in explorer and I have to reboot to recover the drive.

I'm performing a check disk for the moment, and will try Jim's tips after that,

Jos

W7 64 bits

I got the same situation the last time I redid/tweaked the fsx.cfg file.

I don’t know if it’s file or memory corruption, so I went back and disabled one tweak at a time, until I got to FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.1, I removed the tweak and the problem disappeared.

I also don’t know how or why it would cause a File Read Exception, It might be a scenery load (from file) and rendering timing issue. (frankly, I don’t care.) But setting that line to default 0.33 solved my problem.

Haven’t had a single CTD in over two weeks (Some 40 flight hours)

Give it a try if you have that tweak.

Cheers

Hi Ramon,

As a matter of fact, I did introduce "FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.15" in my FSX.cfg recently. I'll reset it to 0.33 and see how it goes.

Thank you so much for sharing this tip.

Jos

Give it a try if you have that tweak.

I did introduce "FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.15" in my FSX.cfg recently.

In regards to this 'tweak' the following link may be of value - http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ptaylor/archive/2007/05/11/tweak-of-the-week.aspx. It's straight from the FSX developer's mouth regarding the fiber_frame_time_fraction tweak. Only works with single core CPU's. Not required for multi-core CPU's and ineffective after FSX SP2/Acceleration was released.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

after resetting to .33, I completed my first flight without problems. So, fingers crossed.

Jos

Hi,

Just to confirm that after resetting fff to .33, and after more than 10 flights, no more failed to read from file for me.

So thank you so much for your help.

I hope others with the same problem will find the solution here also.

Jos

Just to confirm that after resetting fff to .33, and after more than 10 flights, no more failed to read from file for me.

Thanks Jos for that info. Hopefully this is a fix for Luis too!

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10