Sign in to follow this  
ltnicolas

GNS 430, GNS 530, G500..... why so many GPSs?

Hi there guys! I don't like using GPS, but I'm making an exception with the Malibu.

However, I don't understand why do you need 3 GPSs? And still can't get why should I use RealityXP.

And also, can I make the Malibu more FPS-friendly if I take them out from the panel.cfg?

(I apologize if I'm not in the correct forum)

Cheers and Happy Flying!

ltnicolas (Nicolás)

Don't worry, there is no 'should' when it comes to the RXP gauges. They are optional, perhaps even geeky. ^_^ You can use the plane with the included gauges and bliksimpie even has them tweaked, so they receive some extra features.

As far as I can see, you have two units in the cockpit. The large G500 just displays the GPS data from the GPS units, it interconnects with the GNS430 and GNS530.

On the RXP units. Those are way more detailed than the default stuff but come with one or two unique features and/or downsides, which you will surely find by searching the forums. For example, you can't load a FSX flight plan into them. On the pros, you will receive some very capable GPS being able to fly the modern GPS approaches in a ILS-alike way. Means if they are in the data base.

Chances are that the RXP saves some fps as their main workload happens on some external exe, not within FSX itself.

Hmmmm... very interesting.

Does RXP offer more realism or it has only some more functions? I don't want to buy RXP 'just because' !

Still , i will be lookin for information.

It is the real deal. I use it in real life. The software is a trainer for real pilots to use. They just hacked it to work with FSX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does RXP offer more realism or it has only some more functions? I don't want to buy RXP 'just because' !

The RXP gauges are sims of the real thing, based on Garmin's own trainer - thus offer both more function and more realism. These are WAAS units, you have the ability to load much newer data and that data includes a plethora of GPS precision approaches which cannot be flown with the default GPS'. If you fly IFR, or are looking to use the units as practice sims for the real world 430 or 530, they're a no-brainer. If you do neither of these things, and don't use GPS much, they're probably not worth it for you.

As CoolP notes, there is a downside as the units, again, simulate the real thing, so flight plans must be entered just as you would in the real world - you can't load a plan directly from FSX or other planning software.

For me, they're one of the most valuable add-ons I've ever purchased for FSX, but I fly complex GA almost exclusively IFR, and have the gauges installed in (I think) 9 different aircraft, so I've amortized the cost over a lot of planes. Different needs and flying preferences might make these far less useful to others.

Scott

I don't want to buy RXP 'just because' !

Still , i will be lookin for information.

Sounds reasonable, especially when looking at the price. Well, I was in the same situation a while back. You can download the Garmin trainer for free to check the extra options on those rw GPS units. You can also purchase the RXP gauges and try them for 30 days since they are sold via that F1 system with the money back policy.

Either way, it adds a lot to the GPS experience. While it isn't cheap, I'd recommend it and you will find yourself adding it to all your GA planes. That's what happened here.