Sign in to follow this  
utd4life10

Reverse thrust

I was wondernig for the people who don't have a thrust lever that goes into reverse which buttons they use to activate reverse thrust. For example I have a throttle but it only goes to idle and then I have to press F2 to activate reverse - I have tried mapping a key on the throttle through fsx to actvate reverse thrust but I have to press it continuously meaning it takes a good few seconds for revers to activate.

Does anyone else have a key mapped on their joystick to activate reverse where they only have to hold the button down and not press it continuously and if so how did you do this?

Thanks,

Dan

In FSX when you assign a button to a function, there is a slider on the right hand side that allows you to make the button action be repeating.

In FSX when you assign a button to a function, there is a slider on the right hand side that allows you to make the button action be repeating.

Ah Brilliant, thanks!

On a note of reverse thrust, in which conditions do not use reverse? I've seen a jet2757 land at Madeira without revers or spoilers (you can find on youtube) so I was just wondering why an aircraft would do this.

Hi folks,

I use the Saitek X52 Pro. I set up two bands on the throttle - one I past the detent on the throttle, reverse thrust is activated (assigned F2). Works great for me.

Tom

You can find when to use reverse thrust on the Arrival part of the airport briefing in the charts of in airport. In the most cases, you are asked not to use reverse thrust or only idle reverse thrust, so if the runway is long enough for your landing, you should not use reverse thrust because of the noise.

You can find when to use reverse thrust on the Arrival part of the airport briefing in the charts of in airport.

Second: if it's safety to do so, some SOP recommend to use idle reverse thrust.

Third: if you have to turn off somewhere in the end of the 10k-feet runway, you definetely not need full thrust.

On a note of reverse thrust, in which conditions do not use reverse? I've seen a jet2757 land at Madeira without revers or spoilers (you can find on youtube) so I was just wondering why an aircraft would do this.

This's strange. Maybe they have got problems with hydraulics.

Interesting, could someone explain what idle reverse is and how to activate idle revers onlanding?

Idle reverse means, that the moveable part of the engine cowling moves back and the reverse lamination deflect the thrust forward. In this situation, no thrust is set and only idle thrust acts on the forward movement of the aircraft. In the EICAS you can see two REV signs that change from yellow to green when the reversers are fully extended.

When you click only once on the reverse levers in the VC, idle reverse should be set.

Cheers

With idle reverse the reverse doors are opened, but engine power leaves on idle, you don't spool up.

On real 737 you move TLs to first detent position (you can see schematics on FCOM vol2, page 371). In sim you can press F2 one, two or three times or buy some good throttle quadrant.

Hi folks,

I use the Saitek X52 Pro. I set up two bands on the throttle - one I past the detent on the throttle, reverse thrust is activated (assigned F2). Works great for me.

Tom

Hi Tom, I also have the x52 pro, will you explain how you set up the reverse on the throttle?

cosnowboarder_777,

On the X-52 using Banded Mode, which by default is off. I map F2 to a button.

Load the Saitek Profile Editor, select the throttle and then right click on it to select Banded mode. Then select 'Edit Bands' to split the throttle band in two bands, one big and one small: e.g. 0-95 % and 95-100 %. Then assign to the small band the F2 command (reverse thrust).

This should do the trick. You may want either to increase a bit the throttle Null-Zone or add a third small band in between, otherwise it will be difficult to find the zero-throttle spot and you may end up moving back and forth (that's one of the reasons why I do not like it very much).

Also, if you program 'F2' on a throttle band, it is ALWAYS on (so you must have the habit to move the throttle away from full idle when not playing FSX...).

Works fine, especially with the PMDG 737.

Let me know how it goes.

Tom

I'd be interested in that as well. I have the regular X52 and love the system. I have reverse thrust configured on the joystick trigger (both trigger levels) so I retard the throttles to idle and squeeze the trigger to apply the reverse thrust. It's not a graduated application like a throttle lever would do since it's a button with a repeat rate.

I just let off the trigger and slightly advance the throttle lever from idle. That takes the reverse off and reconfigures everything. Not sure if that's an X52 Pro only feature he's talking about, but curious about specifics.

cosnowboarder_777,

On the X-52 using Banded Mode, which by default is off. I map F2 to a button.

Load the Saitek Profile Editor, select the throttle and then right click on it to select Banded mode. Then select 'Edit Bands' to split the throttle band in two bands, one big and one small: e.g. 0-95 % and 95-100 %. Then assign to the small band the F2 command (reverse thrust).

This should do the trick. You may want either to increase a bit the throttle Null-Zone or add a third small band in between, otherwise it will be difficult to find the zero-throttle spot and you may end up moving back and forth (that's one of the reasons why I do not like it very much).

Also, if you program 'F2' on a throttle band, it is ALWAYS on (so you must have the habit to move the throttle away from full idle when not playing FSX...).

Works fine, especially with the PMDG 737.

Let me know how it goes.

Tom

Tom,

You were apparently answering when I was typing my post. I'll have to give that a shot. Thanks for sharing!

Steve

Although I've used the full FSUIPC axis/calibration assignments and my Saitek TQ for many years, it was only very recently that I tried my first LUA plug-in for FSUIPC. This little gem of a utility, from the FSUIPC LUA Contribution Forum, allows you to pull the throttle levers below idle (toggling the Saitek switches at the bottom of the levers), which activates the reversers. Then, as I push the throttle levers up/forward above the Saitek idle detent, it increases the amount of reverse thrust corresponding exactly to the throttle lever action. When I then pull back the throttle levers all the way down to the Saitek Idle detent, the LUA plugin sees this and disengages the reverse thrust action, and returns the Saitek throttle levers to normal (forward thrust) action. Quite engenious actually, and it works for up to four throttle levers.

If you have a Saitek Throttle Quad and the full registered version of FSUIPC with calibrated axis assigments, you might try this Throttle Manager LUA plugin. I love how I can now control the amount of reverse thrust, by how much I push forward the throttle levers When I pull them back to idle, I feel like I'm stowing the reversers.

http://forum.simflig...le/#entry431497

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE