Sign in to follow this  
Comanche

Worlds Shortest Commercial Flight

Use a shallow hulled boat instead.

That's what I was thinking, but it's still too cool! Thank you, Comanche.

Shortest commercial flight I had ever been on was Oakland to San Francisco. If you measure straightline distance I believe it's less than ten miles between the two. The aircraft was a Metroliner operated by United. Actual distance flown was probably close to thirty miles, as the the Metroliner took off to the North/Northwest, then did a 180 over the bay. It flew in the other direction for some miles, then turned base before final approach into SFO.

Shortest straighline commercial flight I was ever on was between Burlington, VT and Plattsburgh, NY. The distance between the two airports was probably around twenty miles. It certainly was odd taking such short flights and I wondered if the airlines operating them ever turned a profit on such short routes. Neither flight was very full.

Regards,

John

Doesn't make much sense to book business class then.

Doesn't make much sense to book business class then.

Any ideas what kind of plane would they fly this with? Obviously a single engine . . . like a Cessna or something? A/C identification is NOT my strong point.

My shortest was the Air Moorea Tw'otter flight between F'aaa on Tahiti and the island of Moorea. It's 17kms, and about a 10 min flight. I did this flight 6 times in one day once.

When I worked for United Express (WestAir) back in '88 we had a Fresno (KFAT) to Merced (KMER). We told the pilots to taxi their EMB110 up HWY 99 and let us know how the traffic was...LOL.

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

Any ideas what kind of plane would they fly this with? Obviously a single engine . . . like a Cessna or something? A/C identification is NOT my strong point.

Commercial flights on this route use a BN Islander. The video OTOH is clearly taken from a single-engine type, I guess on a private flight.

Another way of looking at this is that that flight is significantly shorter than the taxiing distance from Terminal 5 at LHR to the departure end of RWY27L/R. As the captain said as we taxied out a couple of years ago, "Ladies and gentlemen, unfortunately the first few miles of our journey to Johannesburg tonight is by road".

Commercial flights on this route use a BN Islander. The video OTOH is clearly taken from a single-engine type, I guess on a private flight.

Another way of looking at this is that that flight is significantly shorter than the taxiing distance from Terminal 5 at LHR to the departure end of RWY27L/R. As the captain said as we taxied out a couple of years ago, "Ladies and gentlemen, unfortunately the first few miles of our journey to Johannesburg tonight is by road".

Haha :). You should try 18L/36R at EHAM some time.