Sign in to follow this  
FS737Pilot

777 autobrake settings "max auto"

If you look at the autobrake knob for the 777 the maximum setting is called "max auto". What does the 'auto' aspect effect?

Maximum Autobrake. A step up from 4 would imagine its a pretty hard braking for short runways.

Maximum Autobrake. A step up from 4 would imagine its a pretty hard braking for short runways.

I understand the Max part, its the word auto that I'm not sure of. On the 737 it just says Max so Im just wondering if the word auto means something more than just saying maximum autobrakes.

It's simply a step up from Autobrake four.

Something to add, my friend that flies the fleet says maximum manual braking is harder than Max Auto.

Something to add, my friend that flies the fleet says maximum manual braking is harder than Max Auto.

That's correct.

Max manual breaking is 'better' than max auto brake

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

That's correct.

Max manual breaking is 'better' than max auto brake

If the system provides maximum braking pressure then how can a pilot do any better? He can't exceed the maximum pressure that the hydraulic system can handle.

It doesn't use the maximum potential of the brakes it is Maximum under Autobraking. Manual braking can provide quite a bit more for emergencies I would imagine.

If the system provides maximum braking pressure then how can a pilot do any better? He can't exceed the maximum pressure that the hydraulic system can handle.

Probably the computer won't apply full pressure. It's true that max manual is more powerful than max auto. You can find that statement in 777 manual.

Because max auto is not the maximum that the aircraft potentially has.

Added to max reverse thrust [rarely used], one would get the minimum stopping distance

Alex Ridge

Because max auto is not the maximum that the aircraft potentially has.

Added to max reverse thrust [rarely used], one would get the minimum stopping distance

I don't have the manual but I guess it varies with aircraft. I'm only talking about braking pressure not reversers or other stopping tools.

I don't have the manual but I guess it varies with aircraft. I'm only talking about braking pressure not reversers or other stopping tools.

Remember that:

If the scenario is autobrakes 2 and the aircraft is on the runway, if one selects full reverse, then the brake pressure will reduce.

So full reverse only reduces the load on the 'auto' brakes, it doesn't reduce the stopping distance.

Alex Ridge

Remember that:

If the scenario is autobrakes 2 and the aircraft is on the runway, if one selects full reverse, then the brake pressure will reduce.

So full reverse only reduces the load on the 'auto' brakes, it doesn't reduce the stopping distance.

I understand how the logic works but I'm talking about a scenerio where the reversers won't function for whatever reason amd all you have are the brakes and spoilers.

I understand the Max part, its the word auto that I'm not sure of. On the 737 it just says Max so Im just wondering if the word auto means something more than just saying maximum autobrakes.

Boeing is not consistent between their different planes. For example the 737 has Level Change button where the 777 is Flight Level Change. The 737 has a Fasten Belts switch where the 777 is Seat Belts. That's just two things off the top of my head.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg