Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OMGBBQ32

Opening Door While Flying

Have you ever tried opening the door while flying? I have. Today I was in the RV-6 in Flight. I was cruising at 5000 feet level with no hands on the Joystick and I accidentally opened the door. The next second, I noticed that I was descending at 2000 ft/minute. I works in the Icon too. I haven't tried the others, but I'll get back after I'm done testing.

Back when I working on my PPL in a C-150. My instructor demensrated how opening the doors would yaw the aircraft left or right with out touching the rudder bedals. The same thing can be done with a twin engine aircraft with defferential power adjustment of the engines. Of course we can't do that with the C-46 can we.

Seems like the only aircraft that won't do it are the stearman and the cub. Only deluxe planes can offer you openable doors.

The Maule is a blast to open the doors when it's full of passengers......then fly inverted while the doors are open and listen to the screaming.

O and Cntrl O for added effect.

Also try diving at the ground from a good height. As your speed gets up there, the noise level goes up and you start to get some buffeting..........