Sign in to follow this  
boeing247

Approach into Vagar

Does anybody have the faroeislands5.zip scenery package (from the Avsim library)? I was flying into Vagar today for the first time and the LLZ approach into runway 13 (the PMDG 737NGX's FMC said 13, although the actual runway is 12) was taking me on a bearing rotated about 20 degrees from the runway, so that it intersected the runway at the middle--basically, if the runway had been rotated around its midpoint 20 degrees counterclockwise, the approach would have been fine. Where is the root of the problem, and can it be fixed?

Hi!

I have never flown to the Faroe islands in real life or Fs anything so I'm just kinda making guesses. Sorry.

Anyway according to this site:

http://www.simtours....aroeislands.php

Runway 13 localiser course is offset by 14 degrees.

However it doesn't really look like what you were describing in the thread on the approach chart:

http://www.slv.dk/Do...Z_DME_12_en.pdf

The only other thing I could come up with was a 2008 version of the scenery I think you're using. It's much less detailed but the Afcad might work better so maybe you could transfer it or something.

http://www.flightsim.../europa/25.html

Hope it might help! Sorry I don't really know much actual info.

Many thanks,

Pierre

P.S. And here is a thread I found on PPrune of what real pilots who fly there think. Sounds like a mix of beautiful scenery, nice people and very scary turbulence!

http://www.pprune.org/questions/489258-ekvg-faroe-islands.html

Hm... so the scenery is correct--the LLZ is offset 14°. But then does anybody know how the approach is supposed to be flown? What good does a localizer do if it doesn't line you up with the runway?

What good does a localizer do if it doesn't line you up with the runway?

Well, in that case, it keeps you away from the terrain. They want you to descend through that fjord and later break off the localizer course to visually land. There's a 1837ft peak to the North, on the extended centreline.

In general, think of the localizer being your guide through high terrain, noise sensitive areas or other sorts of approach paths. An offset localizer isn't that uncommon and if you search for localizer type directional aid (LDA) approaches, you will find some more.

Of course, if there's an offset in place, it has to be clearly marked on the chart.

Well, in that case, it keeps you away from the terrain

Correct!

Have a look at the old Kai Tak IGS 13 approach:

Not an ILS approach, but rather an IGS approach.A type of "non precision approach", where the localizer component of an ILS was used for

Kai Tak's runway 13. It guided the approaching airplanes to a point at which a turn was made to the right (47 degrees is

correct) to line-up with the runway.

Another Example for an offset LLZ is Innsbruck Kranebitten (LOWI), and the approach to that airport is actually a mission in FSX, too.

Hm... so the scenery is correct--the LLZ is offset 14°. But then does anybody know how the approach is supposed to be flown? What good does a localizer do if it doesn't line you up with the runway?

You fly the approach as shown on the chart.

In this case by following the localizer from MY until you reach the missed approach point.

Then, if you can see the runway, you line up with the runway and land visually.

Otherwise you fly the missed approach.

Your descent is based on the DME reading.

Not all instrument approaches are made for 'autolands'.

In this case the localizer keeps you away from the terrain while it brings you close enough to the runway for a visual landing.