Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alan_A

Stutters in DX10 - workarounds?

Have spent the past couple of days experimenting with the DX10 shader fix. I'm really impressed - textures seem much improved, framerates are better in at least some settings, there's an increase in smoothness, and the VC shadows alone are worth the price of admission.

The only thing holding me back from a full commitment to DX10 are the stutters, both micro and macro (sometimes a half-second to a second, and one instance two seconds, often but not always on airport grounds). I never had microstutter problems running DX9 except when using EZDok in some ORBX sceneries (the cure was to retire EZDok). So I'm not familiar with the workarounds. A question for those of you who are dealing with stutters in DX10 - what settings are you changing, and what values are you using? I'm happy to continue tweaking but could use some guidance about what to tweak.

My specs are listed in my profile. I'm running DX10 with settings pretty much as recommended in Steve's guide, except light bloom on, autogen at Very Dense, scenery density at Extremely Dense, and Aircraft Casts Shadows on Itself. I've tried adjusting autogen and scenery density settings, and turning off light bloom, with no effect.

Thanks in advance for whatever suggestions you have.

Hi Alan. Y'know - you are the only other person besides myself that had those AZCA-caused stutters in FSX! Every 2 or three seconds It had a "lurch", and, like you did - removing EZCA cured it! I have used it since, and am not able to recreate the problem, but with A2A's AccuFeel - I don't load EZCA any more. Now waiting for V2 to come out.

Your problem - would you post the important parts of your cfg here, please (taking out the rubbish stuff - like Trusted, Sound, Panels, Controls, TextInfo, DynamicHeadMovement, ATC, Acontain) I have a suspicion of the cause, but I'd like to see just what else there is that might be a contributor - OK?

Thanks,

Paul - thanks for the offer of help - and apologies for my mis-crediting your guidebook to Steve. Steve's solution, your instructions - I think I've got it now, though it's a lot for a newcomer to absorb. I'm grateful to both of you.

Here are the relevant (I hope) excerpts from my FSX.cfg. A note about Bufferpools - as you'll see, I've tried several different settings, but the changes (including commenting out the whole section) didn't seem to make a difference. In my last test they were commented out and they stay that way here.

I've read some old commentary to the effect that high TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT settings can cause stutters (I used 70 in DX9 and recently dropped them to 40 with no ill effects; running them higher here, obviously). I don't know if they're at issue or not.

Let me know if anything jumps out at you.

[GRAPHICS]

HIGHMEMFIX=1

SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED_10=1693500672

SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED=1693500672

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024

NUM_LIGHTS=8

AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=1

AIRCRAFT_REFLECTIONS=1

//ALLOW_SHADER_30=1

COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1

LANDING_LIGHTS=1

AC_SELF_SHADOW=1

EFFECTS_QUALITY=2

GROUND_SHADOWS=0

TEXTURE_QUALITY=3

IMAGE_QUALITY=0

See_Self=1

Text_Scroll=1

MultiSamplesPerPixel=8

D3D10=1

Stale_Buffer_Threshold=30

[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=14

//[bufferPools]

//Usepools=0

//PoolSize=8388608

//RejectThreshold=131072

//RejectThreshold=524288

[snip]

[display]

[snip]

BLOOM_EFFECTS=1

SKINNED_ANIMATIONS=1

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=120

TextureMaxLoad=6

UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=30

WideViewAspect=True

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=1 //1.2

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=1

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=1 //1.2

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=1

[Main]

User Objects=Airplane, Helicopter

SimObjectPaths.0=SimObjects\Airplanes

SimObjectPaths.1=SimObjects\Rotorcraft

SimObjectPaths.2=SimObjects\GroundVehicles

SimObjectPaths.3=SimObjects\Boats

SimObjectPaths.4=SimObjects\Animals

SimObjectPaths.5=SimObjects\Misc

SimObjectPaths.6=MyTraffic\Aircraft

SimObjectPaths.7=Orbx\FTX_AU\FTXAI_Aircraft

ProcSpeed=15570

PerfBucket=7

HideMenuNormal=0

HideMenuFullscreen=1

DisablePreload=1

Maximized=1

Location=440,211,1480,989,\\.\DISPLAY1

Fiber_Frame_Time_Fraction=0.22

[snip]

[Weather]

[snip]

CLOUD_COVERAGE_DENSITY=8

CLOUD_DRAW_DISTANCE=3

DETAILED_CLOUDS=1

DisableTurbulence=0

DownloadWindsAloft=1

DynamicWeather=2

MaxGustRampSpeed=200

MaxGustTime=500

MaxVarRampSpeed=75

MaxVarTime=50

MinGustRampSpeed=1

MinGustTime=10

MinVarRampSpeed=10

MinVarTime=5

THERMAL_VISUALS=0

TurbulenceScale=1.000000

[snip]

WindshieldPrecipitationEffects=1

THERMAL_VISUALS=0

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580.0]

Mode=1920x1200x32

Anisotropic=1

AntiAlias=1

[snip]

[sCENERY]

LENSFLARE=1

DAWN_DUSK_SMOOTHING=1

IMAGE_COMPLEXITY=5

[TrafficManager]

AirlineDensity=30

GADensity=30

FreewayDensity=12

ShipsAndFerriesDensity=30

LeisureBoatsDensity=30

IFROnly=0

AIRPORT_SCENERY_DENSITY=4

[TERRAIN]

LOD_RADIUS=4.500000

MESH_COMPLEXITY=75

MESH_RESOLUTION=24

TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=25

AUTOGEN_DENSITY=4

DETAIL_TEXTURE=1

WATER_EFFECTS=4

I notice I have two entries for display device - not sure if there's an issue there or not.

Final note for this round - I'm running Forceware 301.42 with Inspector settings recommended by Mike (some1) Krawcyzk - 8x SGSS plus FXAA. Had bad gauge shimmering on other settings.

Thanks again, and let me know what you think.

I think I've got it now, though it's a lot for a newcomer to absorb.

...Hey Alan! We're all newcomers here!

I've bolded what I think can be changed, and they will lighten the load some, but remember - these are "preferences", and we can do with some and we can do without some, and some we'll have to do without - just like DX9. These ought to give you smoothness, but smoothness doesn't only depend upon these settings - they also will depend upon what else the proc is doing. Is the search engine running? Is the Acronis Scheduler running? Is the Bonjour service running? Shut down as many external - unnecessary services as you possibly can. FSX also keeps track of every scenery file that's in the scenery config. You don't have to have the whole world ticked (in the World-->Scenery Library), so untick Africa, USA, New Zealand - if you don't fly there - don't select it.

Easy to do with SceneryConfigEditor and the map:

https://dl.dropbox.c...aller-1.1.0.exe

https://dl.dropbox.c...ring Schema.xps

Lastly - less complicated is better with Inspector. It's worth playing with, but keep it simple to begin with.

[GRAPHICS]

HIGHMEMFIX=1

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024

NUM_LIGHTS=8

AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=0

AIRCRAFT_REFLECTIONS=0

//ALLOW_SHADER_30=1

COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1

LANDING_LIGHTS=1

AC_SELF_SHADOW=0

EFFECTS_QUALITY=2

GROUND_SHADOWS=0

TEXTURE_QUALITY=3

IMAGE_QUALITY=0

See_Self=1

Text_Scroll=1

MultiSamplesPerPixel=8

D3D10=1

Stale_Buffer_Threshold=30

[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=14

//[bufferPools]

//Usepools=0

//PoolSize=8388608

//RejectThreshold=131072

//RejectThreshold=524288

[bufferPools] <--- keep trying. When correct it makes a huge difference

UsePools=1

PoolSize=12582912

RejectThreshold=1048576

[Display]

UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=30

BLOOM_EFFECTS=0 <----- Just for now

SKINNED_ANIMATIONS=1

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=120

TextureMaxLoad=6

UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=30

WideViewAspect=True

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=1 //1.2

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=1

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=1 //1.2

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=1

[Main]

ProcSpeed=15570

PerfBucket=7

HideMenuNormal=0

HideMenuFullscreen=1

DisablePreload=1

Maximized=1

Location=440,211,1480,989,\\.\DISPLAY1

Fiber_Frame_Time_Fraction=0.12 <---- Low and Slow, bump to 18 if low and fast 0.22 is kinda high

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.1 <----- Mine, it makes FSX smooooother - I've been as low as 0.8.

I don't know why mine is all upper case... maybe it has to be, as is often the case with a defined parameter name.

[Weather]

CLOUD_COVERAGE_DENSITY=8

CLOUD_DRAW_DISTANCE=3

DETAILED_CLOUDS=1

DisableTurbulence=0

DownloadWindsAloft=1

DynamicWeather=2

MaxGustRampSpeed=200

MaxGustTime=500

MaxVarRampSpeed=75

MaxVarTime=50

MinGustRampSpeed=1

MinGustTime=10

MinVarRampSpeed=10

MinVarTime=5

THERMAL_VISUALS=0

TurbulenceScale=1.000000

[snip]

WindshieldPrecipitationEffects=1

THERMAL_VISUALS=0

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580.0] The GPU has two ports, and sometimes both will appear here if ...........................................................................you've used both. 2nd = GTX 580.0.0

Mode=1920x1200x32

Anisotropic=1

AntiAlias=1

[snip]

[sCENERY]

LENSFLARE=0

DAWN_DUSK_SMOOTHING=1

IMAGE_COMPLEXITY=4

[TrafficManager]

AirlineDensity=25 <---- vary these two AI & GA, dependent upon where you're flying.

GADensity=25

FreewayDensity=12 <---- I like to see cars, too.

ShipsAndFerriesDensity=0 <-----For now, but 8 tops

LeisureBoatsDensity=0 <-----For now but 8 tops

IFROnly=0

AIRPORT_SCENERY_DENSITY=0 <-----For now

[TERRAIN]

LOD_RADIUS=4.500000

MESH_COMPLEXITY=100 <--- S/B ok

MESH_RESOLUTION=23 <--- S/B ok

TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=28 <--- S/B ok

AUTOGEN_DENSITY=4 < maybe 3 while testing, but 4 is best

DETAIL_TEXTURE=1

WATER_EFFECTS=4

I'm running Forceware 301.42 [Latest is 304.48] with Inspector settings recommended by Mike (some1) Krawcyzk - 8x SGSS plus FXAA. Had bad gauge shimmering on other settings. <--- what about with just the original AA & AF set within the Sim, with Inspector set to App controlled?

Well that's about all I can add, Alan. I would not use more than those figures while looking for the sweet spot. Airport traffic is a heavy burden over 1/4, FFTF at .1 or .12 will make a big difference.

I hope this all helps - try it and let us know how you make out.

All the best,

Thanks much, Paul - I'm going to go now and test-drive these settings, and I'll report back.

About additional processes - I run pretty lean. My Window 7 and FSX are set up according to Nick Needham's guidelines, and he doesn't leave a lot of fat in the system. But I'll double-check and see if anything has crept back in.

About Inspector settings - for some reason, across several different NVidia cards, I've always had to push anti-aliasing higher than recommended settings to get rid of shimmers. I don't know why. But I'm not surprised to have to go to 8xSGSS and FXAA. Again, on lower settings I had severe shimmers, including unreadable gauges, and had stutters as well. So I'll probably look elsewhere for the performance issues. But you never know...

Again, I'll load these up and then let you know how it goes.

No joy, I'm afraid. Still getting microstutters with these settings.

I'm not sure if this is a clue or not, but switching aircraft seems to make a slight difference. I'm flying mainly helos these days, and in tonight's tests (with everything else held constant), I had the worst stutters with the Nemeth AS350, did somewhat better with the Dodosim 206, and best of all with the default 206. So I'm wondering if there's some sort of interaction between aircraft (gauges?) and scenery. Or maybe it's just a texture-handling problem (aircraft textures plus scenery textures). Or maybe that's a red herring - sample size is admittedly small.

I'm open to suggestion.

And just a couple more updates - tried varying the AA settings in Inspector, no effect. Tried updating to 306.02, no effect. Still microstuttering. Still open to what others think.

Hello,

I have the same problem as Alan.

I tried to tweak anything without a success.

What I relise is that the problem is something connected with the photo scenery (in my case). When there is a "simple" orbx pnw area, everything is fluent. But when I sit in an airport where there are lot of photo scenery, it began to stutter awfully. (eg. Skagit, or W16 Monroe).

And this happen not only in the orbx areas. I tried with other scenery, that is only photo scenery, and the same issue is happen.

Thanks any hint,

Zoli

Hello,

No, I overclocked to 4.0 Ghz. First I tried 4.4 Ghz, but I lower it, because It give me about 40 fps still.

Zoli

And just a couple more updates - tried varying the AA settings in Inspector, no effect. Tried updating to 306.02, no effect. Still microstuttering. Still open to what others think.

As I have reported in other posts, the Texture_Bandwidth_Mult setting can cause stuttering. A lot of people put it up as high as 400 (which was the optimum setting in FS9). But, NickN in his guide on Setting up FSX and tuning it, recommends a setting somewhere in between 40 and 80 and anything over 120 will create issues. If you have yours set too high, this could be the problem.

Best regards,

Jim

Thanks, Jim. I was suspicious about the high Texture_Bandwidth_Mult setting and tried reducing it to 40, but still had the stutters. Then I reverted to DX9 and interestingly, the stutters were still there. That makes me suspect there may be an issue in the NVidia Inspector settings. I'll look at those next.

I don't know why I missed it, Alan - (not necessarily a fix) but a 4 - 4.5 gig proc should be able to feed a 580 so well that you can use BufferPools = 0. You should not need shared pool or an RT.

You might also try a TBM of 102.

Keep us in formed.. Thanks,

pj

Good thought, Paul, but I've already tried both with and without UsePools=0. Had no effect on the stutters. The fact that I'm getting them in DX9 as well as DX10 makes me think it's either an Inspector issue or a driver issue. My next moves will be to alter the Inspector settings, then if necessary revert to older drivers, and see what happens. Will advise...

OK - try the next "fix"... We're "stretching it" a bit, but others have reported this as a fix, and I personally run it too, as it's logical, and I had stutters on numerous occasions throughout the last fifteen years.. This one is to do with Core parking. I don't know how much you've read, but when a processor core has nothing to do, it idles itself down , and then has to ramp up again when needed. This does cause micro-stutters, and there's a possibility it may be an issue with your pc. SO.... here's the "how-to" on that. Taken from a post - which I regret - I didn't note: I've tested this on three or four Windows 64-bit with different multi-core procs, and it works just fine.

Open regedit, and do a search for this line; -

0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583

Within this key, there is a value called: " ValueMax " This value represents the % number of cores the system will park - the default 100% ie: all Cores are potentially park-able.

- Change the value from 64 to 0 so the " ValueMin " and " ValueMax " are both zero.

- You will have to find the key a few times and repeat the process for each time it is found - the number of instances will depend on the number of power profiles in your system.

Do a full shutdown and power-off, and then cold-re-start.

Thanks, Paul, I'll give that a try. Rebuilding the FSX.cfg didn't seem to help. Have been away from the sim for a couple of days but I'll see what the registry tweak does. Will let you know.

OK, took me a while but I think I've got a clue... about this, anyway.. B)

While testing for a bunch of different variables, I noticed in my peripheral vision that there were often small texture flashes and/or black squares associated with the stutters. On a hunch I turned off all the AI aircraft. Stutters gone.

This makes me think that there's some sort of corruption either in the AI textures (MyTraffic 5.3b) or, more likely, in the Shockwave lights that I've assigned to the default aircraft that are used as GA AI.

I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling the Shockwave lights. If that doesn't work, I'll try swapping MyTraffic in and out via the simobjects lines in the config.

All of this is happening in DX9 - I reverted back as part of my diagnostic run, and I actually find I like the textures better, so I may stick with it. But since the problem started in DX10, I'll keep posting findings here in case it helps someone else. I may be delayed a few more days between weekend travel and the Jewish holidays, but I'll keep you all advised.

Well, reporting back after a week of tests and no joy - stutters are still there. I've tried with and without Shockwave lights, and with and without MyTraffic. I tried the registry edit. I turned 2XSGSS off and then on again. No change. Stutters vanish when I turn AI off. Otherwise, they're there.

At this point I think I need either to replace the graphics card (it's running hot, and there are graphics glitches associated with the stutters) or reinstall FSX. I'm not eager to do either of those - there's a cost in money or a cost in time and neither seems appealing. The other possibilities involve doing without AI, getting my feet wet on VATSIM, or spending my time on X-Plane 'til sometime next year when I do a new Haswell build and will have to reinstall anyway. Still talking to myself about it, not deciding anything yet. I'll keep you posted. In the meantime, thanks for your help and let me know if anything else comes to mind....

Sorry for the long silence. Just coming back to this.

Relevant excerpts from my current config are:

[GRAPHICS]

HIGHMEMFIX=1

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024

NUM_LIGHTS=8

AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=1

AIRCRAFT_REFLECTIONS=1

COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1

LANDING_LIGHTS=1

AC_SELF_SHADOW=0

EFFECTS_QUALITY=2

GROUND_SHADOWS=0

TEXTURE_QUALITY=3

IMAGE_QUALITY=0

D3D10=0

See_Self=1

Text_Scroll=1

[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=14

[bUFFERPOOLS]

UsePools=1

Poolsize=8388608

RejectThreshold=262144 //131072

[snip]

[Display]

[snip]

BLOOM_EFFECTS=0

SKINNED_ANIMATIONS=1

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=40

UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=30

WideViewAspect=True

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=1.2 //1

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=1.2

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=1.2 //1

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=1.0

[Main]

ProcSpeed=15507

PerfBucket=7

//HideInfoText=1

DisablePreload=1

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.12

Maximized=1

Location=440,190,1480,968,\\.\DISPLAY1

HideMenuNormal=0

HideMenuFullscreen=1

[TERRAIN]

LOD_RADIUS=4.500000

MESH_COMPLEXITY=100

MESH_RESOLUTION=22

TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=29

AUTOGEN_DENSITY=4

DETAIL_TEXTURE=1

WATER_EFFECTS=4

[snip]

[sCENERY]

LENSFLARE=1

DAWN_DUSK_SMOOTHING=1

IMAGE_COMPLEXITY=5

[TrafficManager]

AirlineDensity=30

GADensity=30

FreewayDensity=14

ShipsAndFerriesDensity=31

LeisureBoatsDensity=31

AIRPORT_SCENERY_DENSITY=2

IFROnly=0

[Weather]

[snip]

DynamicWeather=2

DownloadWindsAloft=0

DisableTurbulence=0

CLOUD_DRAW_DISTANCE=3

DETAILED_CLOUDS=1

CLOUD_COVERAGE_DENSITY=8

THERMAL_VISUALS=1

Mode=1920x1200x32

TriLinear=1

AntiAlias=1

Commented-out lines and settings are the result of experimentation, but so far, none of those variations, or any of the others I mentioned above, has had any effect.

NVidia Inspector settings are:

inspectorfsx0924121.jpg

inspectorfsx0924122.jpg

As before, thanks in advance for anything you can suggest.

Let's see how this one goes, Alan: :smile:

Relevant excerpts from my current config are:

[GRAPHICS]

HIGHMEMFIX=1

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024

NUM_LIGHTS=8

AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=1

AIRCRAFT_REFLECTIONS=1

COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1

LANDING_LIGHTS=1

AC_SELF_SHADOW=0

EFFECTS_QUALITY=2

GROUND_SHADOWS=0

TEXTURE_QUALITY=3

IMAGE_QUALITY=0

D3D10=0

See_Self=1

Text_Scroll=1

[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=14

[bUFFERPOOLS]

UsePools=1

Poolsize=8388608

RejectThreshold=262144 //131072

[snip]

[Display]

[snip]

BLOOM_EFFECTS=0

SKINNED_ANIMATIONS=1

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=40 Move to 100

UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=30

WideViewAspect=True

[Main]

//HideInfoText=1

DisablePreload=1

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.12 // Make this 0.10

Maximized=1

Location=440,190,1480,968,\\.\DISPLAY1

HideMenuNormal=0

HideMenuFullscreen=1

[TERRAIN]

LOD_RADIUS=4.500000

MESH_COMPLEXITY=100

MESH_RESOLUTION=22

TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=29 // Make this 28

AUTOGEN_DENSITY=4

DETAIL_TEXTURE=1

WATER_EFFECTS=4

[snip]

[sCENERY]

LENSFLARE=1

DAWN_DUSK_SMOOTHING=1

IMAGE_COMPLEXITY=5

[TrafficManager]

AirlineDensity=30 // It will probably tolerate 30 AI and GA, but not with the others at their high levels.

GADensity=30

FreewayDensity=14 // Make this 10

ShipsAndFerriesDensity=31 // Make this 0

LeisureBoatsDensity=31 // Make this 0

AIRPORT_SCENERY_DENSITY=2 // Make this 1 Max

IFROnly=0

[Weather]

[snip]

DynamicWeather=2

DownloadWindsAloft=0

DisableTurbulence=0

CLOUD_DRAW_DISTANCE=3

DETAILED_CLOUDS=1

CLOUD_COVERAGE_DENSITY=8 // Make this 7

THERMAL_VISUALS=1 // Make this 0

Mode=1920x1200x32

TriLinear=1 // Make this Anisotropic

AntiAlias=1

Commented-out lines and settings are the result of experimentation, but so far, none of those variations, or any of the others I mentioned above, has had any effect.

NVidia Inspector settings are:

inspectorfsx0924121.jpg

The two AA settings - Anti-Aliasing Behavior Flags and Anti-Aliasing Mode are in conflict with each other.

Quick note, Alan - if you press the "Funnel"- thingy at the top - between the green down arrow and the spy-glass, the screen will only show the Custom Setting Names area that you need to change.

Thanks, Paul. I'll try those settings (and use the funnel next time - I had no idea that was there). I'm not sure where the AA setting conflict crept in - will see if that's the issue. About the traffic settings - I'll follow your lead, but on the most recent tests, the only change that made a difference was killing the AI. The car and boat traffic had no impact - turned them off, stutters. Turned the AI aircraft off, stutters gone.

But I'll let you know what happens this time.

Once again, no luck. None of the variables makes any difference except for GA and Airline AI - if they're on, at any percentage, there are stutters. If they're off, no stutters no matter where anything else is set.

At this point I'm out - I may try a reinstall, I may try a different video card (the artifacting suggests there may be an issue there) - will probably wait to do either and spend more time with X-Plane, which in general I'm finding more rewarding these days. When I do get back to FSX, I'll stay with DX9 - speaking personally, I prefer the look. And I'll stick to Nick Needham's settings - none of the others have ever worked for me. I'm sure the DX10 project is worthwhile and I wish you guys luck with it, but it's not for me. Thanks for all the assistance, and check six!

At the start of a flight the Ai is being setup in the background so you can't really worry about it, once the sim's been running a minute or so most Ai would be underway. Every now and again an aircraft may land or take off within your bubble radius and you will get a stutter. I'm running a full debug trace, maxed settings, and 17fps fixed DX10 and no stutters, move it up to 19 fixed and micro stutters, due to Autogen.

Thanks, Steve, understood - except that in this case the stutters are persistent beyond the point where you'd expect them to have settled out. Also, I didn't have them before making the switch to DX10. Haven't been able to trace out the reason but the video artifacting makes me think it's a video card issue. I've had problems along those lines before and upgrading the video seemed to take care of it. I may yet drop a (refundable) 680 in there and see what happens. If I do, I'll post results.