Sign in to follow this  
eemer

Is there such a thing as a DX10 bloom cfg. ?

I finally ended up re-installing FSX after trying everything to get my DX-10 Preview back. Well, its back and I'm finally getting to see what all the excitement is about in being able to use DX-10. After using it in different areas and times of the day in FSX, I noticed that the bloom effect wasn't as good as what I had using the ENB in DX-9. I compared screenshots in the same areas and times of day using both the DX-9 and DX-10 blooms.The DX-10 looks a little washed out in comparison.

So, my question is... Is it possible to tweak the settings of the bloom effect of DX-10 like we can with the ENB series?

I think this may give the best of both worlds if its possible.

Or is this "kooky talk"?

Tom

I would be interested in a fix for this too. I have had to turn it off as it just isn't realistic. I will look around.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I tried the ENB series... no go. There IS a bloom.fx in the HLSL folder - so maybe Steve might take a look at that, ,making up a cfg.ini and a d3d10.dll for it. One can hope!

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Yeah, I tried the ENB also in hopes it would just take, but it didn't. Thank you for looking into it though. And yes, maybe Steve or someone else that knows how to do these magical things will come up with a solution. I think it would be well received.

Tom

There isn't a config file as such and then bloom.fx is DX9

Howevere at the end of general10.fxh

there are 4 values

static const float fHdrSpecularScale = 1.11;

static const float fHdrEmissiveScale = 6.0;

static const float fHdrCopyScale = 4.25;

static const float fHdrModAlphaScale = 3.92;

that I think affect Bloom.

The Specular scale is how much metal surfaces reflect light, I would guess that the Emissive Scale relates to lights but I haven't tested that one.

You could try tweaking a little (carefully - backups etc) and rebuild the shaders.

Will do, Steve! I'll have a go later. Thanks for dropping in!

Right now I'm trying to get back to where I was yesterday. This is the Dickens of a predicarment. A few days ago I had the sim dialed right in. Flying the Carenado 172 down under the two bridges at Vancouver downtown, climbing right bank, up over the northerly skyscrapers, gently back south over the stadium and down into river again. I was holding 29.9fps 99% of the time with the odd drop to 27.x. The next day - nothing changed in the config, yet quite unable to match that performance. SO - create a new cfg, add in the older "fixes", start the runs, and withing a few minutes - back up to 29-30. Later flew the 172 from Stark's Twin Oaks all the way up to Seattle, in stormy, rainy weather - 29-30 all the way. Pics and setting posted.

This morning - back to square one. Fly the Vancouver racecourse - starts at 29-30, down into the river, ok.. - up over the northerly skyscrapers, and boom - down to 20-22-16-24-18-14-21-27-26-28. Cheesh! Retest the whole config: put the Master back in, put the Master Inspector settings back in. nope. 18-22-18-19-24-16- all over the b****y place.

Does anyone else experience this?

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Does anyone else experience this?

Of course! Remember yesterday when I told you I was having this issue and I decided to delete my fsx.cfg and rebuild a new one? Well, that was my fix. Now fps stay constantly around 23-25 (frames limited to 25). I have no tweaks installed. Not one. I did change my TML to 4096 and water to 5 but the rest of my settings in the scenery section remain at the default (what FSX loaded when the config was rebuilt). I kept AI at the default but lowered or turned off the other things like ships, yachts, etc. It all works great and I see absolutely no change in graphics from when it was tweaked. Sorry to hear you are having issues as I had your settings at one time too and they worked great (until Sunday when I flew into Vancouver....).

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Yes - I do remember! I will do that, and see what happens. See? I'm thanking YOU now!

How do you reconcile the Inspector 1/2 Refresh Rate setting, Jim? Or don't you use it?

I did not touch my NI settings.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Using your suggestion, Jim, plus HIGHMEM, WidEView, 25fps limit, Aniso+AA in the sim, but same Inspector as before - the basic changes - the Vancouver circuit - an almost - constant - very, very, very smooth - 25 frames. Thank you! Now YOU da Man! :LMAO:

I tried the 30 first, but still bouncing around, and very similar to what I experienced with ALL the tweaks!!! Go figure!! :rolleyes:

Hmmmm I think I spoke a wee bit too soon.. this is behaving as it was.. Of course - it may be there's some area around the northern edge of the downtown area that I wasn't flying over before. This is a very very heavy piece of scenery.

There isn't a config file as such and then bloom.fx is DX9

Howevere at the end of general10.fxh

there are 4 values

static const float fHdrSpecularScale = 1.11;

static const float fHdrEmissiveScale = 6.0;

static const float fHdrCopyScale = 4.25;

static const float fHdrModAlphaScale = 3.92;

that I think affect Bloom.

The Specular scale is how much metal surfaces reflect light, I would guess that the Emissive Scale relates to lights but I haven't tested that one.

You could try tweaking a little (carefully - backups etc) and rebuild the shaders.

For those interested I messed around with some of these numbers and never noticed a difference in bloom.

Randall

See my blog for pictures!

They do work, although it seems to be the mod alpha for lights. Are you sure that you rebuilt the shaders?

See my blog for pictures!

They do work, although it seems to be the mod alpha for lights. Are you sure that you rebuilt the shaders?

I figured the mod alpha would effect lights and yes I rebuilt the shaders. I guess I was hoping it would effect the light of the sky a little more, similar to enbseries. I'll mess around a little more.

Thanks for all your work on DX10.

Randall