Sign in to follow this  
Fatback

PMDG Statement Regarding EULA for P3D

The statement is on the front page of Avsim. It's very well written, articulate and enlightening. I was expecting some corporate speak but came away more knowledgeable about the issues than when I started.

Yea I thought it was a very good and honest statement and I totally understand where they are coming from.

Agreed, and why P3D is not yet on my system.

- Aaron

P3D is not on my system either, and neither is FSX and because it's such a headache for me that I wont buy any FSX add-ons. I have a powerful machine and it has solved very little. FS9 and all my add-ons provide me all the fun I need, I'm very thrilled to see companies like Carenado and others still working for us.

Selling, selling. Very good. Very good. (hand tilting quickly) Oh, wicked. Wicked. You're wicked. Eh? Know what I mean. Know what I mean? Nudge nudge. Know what I mean? Nudge nudge. Nudge nudge. (leaning over to him, making eye gesture; speaks slowly) Say...no...more. (leans back as if having imparted a great secret)

If you are going to produce and sell a FS product, with a EULA that only allows it to be used with FSX, then program it to make it so. You can't have one's cake and eat it.

Nudge nudge, wink wink - say no more.

:t0152:

While outside the question somewhat it should be said that P3D has consistently and continually upgraded the platform and done what can be done to support as broad a range of training use as licence permits, their also currently in the business where MS has closed shop on their version and its successor for that matter.

When exploring the way forward some consideration needs to be given to that element, a growing movement towards multi platform releases holds the key to having a thriving addon market for simulation.

They are costly to produce, most producers need to weigh the viability of a project before embarking on a production, when it becomes possible to support multiple platforms, investments in art and models become proportionally less an issue, leaving wiggle room for more and higher quality models to be produced.

I have to imagine the same dynamic holds true for PMDG, as it stands 10% of aircraft addons

installers released are for P3D use ( in my portfolio ) , that segment is growing and will eventually represent half the addon market within a couple of years in my estimation.

For the developer there is reason to produce using the P3D platform, though not always for the P3D platform.

Model production using the current generation of 3DS Max is possible using their SDK, not the case with the FSX SDK, the models made for P3D work in FSX and eliminate the need to convert format to Max9 for export in game,

With production software not being stuck the advances in capacity carry forward using today’s available software to make Flight Simulator Addons, that is absolutely needed to create products.