Sign in to follow this  
StewCal

Improved Weather?

Just wondering if LM did any work on the weather engine in P3d. Would be nice to have true overcast conditions again.

Steve Giblin

No weather engine in v1.4 from what I have read. Only the default weather themes. But I have to say I am quite happy at the moment with them, I think for defaults they look pretty good. Down the road I will try my REX and AS2012, even some freeones to see what direction I want to take.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

First two replys to the OP seems to be about "themes" and importing real weather. However, the original question was how is the weather displayed in Prepar3d? How do low clouds look in hill or mountain terrain? Is there any amprovement from the default FSX weather graphics?

This is something I would like to know.

Thanks, Phill

The weather graphics are identical to FSX. The weather engine is based on themes or custom weather (no real weather at the moment). The weather interface (Simconnect) is almost the same as FSX. The weather will be so good as you want with a theme or by an external engine (AS, REX, OpusFSX, etc.)

The only difference is that P3D limits the maximum visibility range to 50nm (80 kms), and always seems that has lesser visibilibity than FSX. Some external engines (like AS) doesn't work very well with this issue, creating a rare atmosphere, like a foggy day. This addons need a special configuration in their options until a P3D version will be launched.

The weather graphics are identical to FSX. The weather engine is based on themes or custom weather (no real weather at the moment). The weather interface (Simconnect) is almost the same as FSX. The weather will be so good as you want with a theme or by an external engine (AS, REX, OpusFSX, etc.)

The only difference is that P3D limits the maximum visibility range to 50nm (80 kms), and always seems that has lesser visibilibity than FSX. Some external engines (like AS) doesn't work very well with this issue, creating a rare atmosphere, like a foggy day. This addons need a special configuration in their options until a P3D version will be launched.

Thank you, that's exactly the information I was looking for.

Phill