From the FSXMark11 thread:

I tested two configurations, essentially the same, but with different sets of RAM timings. Here's the link to the first test, and here's the link to the second (I tried to embed them but the editor threw a fit). I was really impressed to see that by increasing from 1600MHz to 2600MHz I saw a 5 FPS performance boost. I'm liking the IB/Fast Ram/PCIe 3.0 combination.

I saw 10% gains moving from 8GB CL8 1600 to 8GB CL9 2133 with all else being equal.

From the FSXMark11 thread:

Thank you! I knew it was laying around here somewhere!

Hmmm... 1600mhz with CL11?? No wonder that 2600mhz with CL10 is that much faster... or is it a typo? There was a RAM mhz vs latency, and it has been proven that RAM performance drops with higher latency and FSX performance suffers too.

Hi guys. Thank you for the numbers. I just love good metrics :)

-And Ben. No harm intended. :) Its' just that I've been working with statistical analysis quite a bit over the years, and a 10% increase is considered a very substantial increase in most scenarios. I'm glad you were proven right. And I'm glad I got the numbers to help me make my decision.

Ok guys, then I guess it would be smart to go for the faster RAM. I just found an 8 GB DDR3 HyperX Predator 2666 MHz kit for the NOK equivalent of 255 US bucks at my most trusted vendor over here. I wonder if I might just get that.

I originally wanted a 16 GB kit, as I intend to do more than just FSX on the rig. Then again how often do I really need more than 8 Gigs, even when I do picture processing?

As far as price is concerned the only 16 GB 2400 kit available to me over here, with ok timings, is the Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 2400MHz 16GB. It retails here for about 450 USD. There are others, of course, but I like the Dominator Platinum series and they are not all that more expensive than the similar kits. If I had found the Dominator Platinum 2666 kit in stock somewhere I would have been really happy. :)

The Predator kit, at 255 bucks is still not cheap, and here I was just now complaining about the price of 2400 MHz kits. ;) Still it's about exactly the same price tag as the 1600 MHz 16 GB Dominator Platinum kit I was considering earlier.

If I decide to drop the 16 gigs requirement and aim for 8 GB of 2400 MHz I can get a 8 GB 2400 Predator kit for about 100 bucks.

According to this test: "http://www.pureoverclock.com/Review-detail/kingston-hyperx-predator-8gb-kit-2x4gb-ddr3-2666mhz-cl11-dimm/9/" the 2666 kit has it's sweet spot at 2400 too. The price difference would kind of make it sensible to go for the 2400 kit. Still, the price difference isn't all that much when you even it out across the intended life cycle of the rig.

The timings of the 2666 kit running at 2400 is way tighter than you get with the Predator 2400 kit, giving a good boost to throughput too. If I manage to convince myself that every bit matters when it comes to milking enough performance from the rig to feed our favorite CPU- beast on five 22" screens I might just be able to justify the expense. (I think I might be able to do that. ;) )

My current system with a Nehalem i3 3,3 GHz, 16 GB 1333 Mhz RAM and an ASUS Radeon 7770 really doesn't seem to struggle all that much with three screens at a total of 5040X1024 pixels, even with 3rd party planes with REX, ORBX and A2A add ons and pretty high settings overall. Then again for the time being I mostly enjoy flying GA aircraft, not the big complex airliners. However when the time comes and I want to go for bigger planes and the big airport add ons I might need every bit of speed I can squeeze out of my system. The old rig is not going to die btw. It's just going back to it's old life as my dedicated music studio rig.

Having all that FSim equipment in my home studio means I'n hardly have room to play music. Actually, my tiny library/music room/studio space is now so filled up with all the components for my new rig that I really don't have any room to fly either. I can't move the chair back from the desk. ;) So I better get it over with and assemble it soon now.

The list of my new rig components so far is:

Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO

CPU: i7 3770k

GPU: HIS HIS Radeon HD 7970 GHz X 3GB (for 5 screen Eyefinity).

CPU cooler: Corsair h100.

PSU: Chieftec Nitro BPS-850C

Case: Xigmatek Elyseum

Monitors: Five 22", different brands, HP, Eizo and Benq (for free. :-D )

All of this, except for the CPU, was bought on sale. That has so far saved a total of USD 550 from my budget for the pc components alone, not counting in the huge savings on the monitors. The monitors I found in the electronic recycle dumpster at work. (-And just that was what triggered the new build project).

I guess those savings means I can afford to spend some money on the best RAM I can get my hands on right now. The price difference between the 16 GB 2400 kit and the 8 GB 2666 kit is also a little more than the price for a good 120 GB SSD, and just 40-50 bucks short of the 240 GB Corsair force GT series 3 I just found on sale. ;)

I haven't made up my mind totally yet, but that solution has the following benefits: The kit is in stock and I can get it here in a few days. I can assemble and tune the rig now and just forget about what's inside that box for a while. That is exactly what I'm aiming for. I'd rather spend time flying instead of reading specs and calculating budgets. I get enough of IT project budgeting in my job as an IT Architect and I'm starting to get bored with reading about PC components after literally months of reading forums and obsessing about the "perfect solution".

If I don't do it I will have to spend even more time checking up on what RAM kit that will give me the most bang for the buck, literally, and wait for it to turn up at a vendor here. Sigh. It's not easy being a perfectionist. ;)

-Still, I wish there was a vendor here that carried the 16 GB Predator 2666 kit. I might have considered it. Oh, well... Repeat: I don't need more than 8 gigs, I don't need more than 8 gigs, I don't need.... ;)

I wonder what the real world risks of buying two kits of 8 GB instead of one 16 GB are. I know the manufacturers say that they are not able to guarantee that you can OC the RAM as far as you'd be able to with a factory matched kit, but what are the realities. Surely they would be able to run at their designated clock speed no matter what? Do anyone here have any experience with OC-ing two identical RAM kits? Just curiosity of course. :)

Kind regards

hjv

I think, the fact that so many of us have upgraded through the years to see such small increase in sim performance that it is almost hard to believe some things will make major changes besides a powerful overclocked cpu. Although , what ever does work, pretty much needs to be backed up by at least by more then one person. No hard feelings to anyone... :Nerd:

-Still, I wish there was a vendor here that carried the 16 GB Predator 2666 kit. I might have considered it. Oh, well... Repeat: I don't need more than 8 gigs, I don't need more than 8 gigs, I don't need.... ;)

Get the 16Gigs

You may like it

I see usage often exceeding 8G with a full load on FSX (4G there).... It is nice to be able to run Plan-G As2012 or Opus in the background, and to also keep your IE open to watch on stuff...takes RAM

So what does Win7 do as you approach an inherant 8 Gig physical limit?

It stutters? shutters? donknow...uses the page? (which I set to 16MB, then zero.. cause I have 16G 1600MHz never regretted it). It would not let it get to 8G without an OOM for the system so it will cut back way sooner thatn your limit. With 16G you are worry free for a smoother mem use

GPU: HIS HIS Radeon HD 7970 GHz X 3GB (for 5 screen Eyefinity).

Get GTX680 instead...

Nevermind, I see that you have different monitors.

You will have to delid the cpu for some decent overclock. Even with a watercooler.

Slow memory makes no sense over slow one, just make sure it's not too expensive, you don't need top of the top. Some 2133 or about will suffice.

I also agree that 10% is a bols claim, would like to see some hands on results IN FSX. Not other apps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello Word Not Allowed and others,

I am using the IVY Bridge 3770K to and it works very well after deliding and putting a better TIM to the CPU the temperatures are quite ok. I have an absolute stable running FSX with 4.7GHZ, 1.30 VCORE manually (not offset) and Temps mostly between 50° and 60°. I try to get higher what is very quick possible concerning Prime and AIDA stress tests. Stress test pass with 1.335 Vcore and temps between 50° and 70° But FSX is doing weird things. Where Prime and AIDA is stable FSX crashes after a while I have to set the VCORE up to 1.35 in the BIOS which is a result of 1.368 to 1.370 when FSX is runnig. A freindly overclocker told me - that cannot be - that FSX is asking for more VCORE. Maybe somebody knows why this could happen and how to solve it.

Kind Regards Tom

I am using the IVY Bridge 3770K to and it works very well after deliding and putting a better TIM to the CPU the temperatures are quite ok. I have an absolute stable running FSX with 4.7GHZ, 1.30 VCORE manually (not offset) and Temps mostly between 50° and 60°. I try to get higher what is very quick possible concerning Prime and AIDA stress tests. Stress test pass with 1.335 Vcore and temps between 50° and 70° But FSX is doing weird things. Where Prime and AIDA is stable FSX crashes after a while I have to set the VCORE up to 1.35 in the BIOS which is a result of 1.368 to 1.370 when FSX is runnig. A freindly overclocker told me - that cannot be - that FSX is asking for more VCORE. Maybe somebody knows why this could happen and how to solve it.

Kind Regards Tom

ps.

Some more details about those FSX crashes - there are always different reasons like "panel.dll" or "gdiplu.dll" - sorry but I am not able to edit my mail above. I habe no permission to edit my own mail?!

Kind Reagrds Tom

Kind Regards Tom

In my experience, I disabled all my C states. It may be stable during stress tests but my FSX doesn't like C State enabled.

In my experience, I disabled all my C states. It may be stable during stress tests but my FSX doesn't like C State enabled.
Thnx yes this is true I disabled already c3 and c6 - c1E is still enabled and package c state is on Auto.

- Most of the time the crashing module is "gdiplus.dll".

Kind Regards Tom

Get the 16Gigs

You may like it

I see usage often exceeding 8G with a full load on FSX (4G there).... It is nice to be able to run Plan-G As2012 or Opus in the background, and to also keep your IE open to watch on stuff...takes RAM

So what does Win7 do as you approach an inherant 8 Gig physical limit?

It stutters? shutters? donknow...uses the page? (which I set to 16MB, then zero.. cause I have 16G 1600MHz never regretted it). It would not let it get to 8G without an OOM for the system so it will cut back way sooner thatn your limit. With 16G you are worry free for a smoother mem use

And just when I almost had convinced myself... ;)

Ok, you're probably right. I guess I managed to forget that I'm already using EzDoc Camera and I'm always looking for other utilities to enchance my simming experience. That stuff uses ram, so I might save myself some trouble by making sure I have enough of it in the first place. Maybe one of the reasons I don't seem to have many issues with stutter FSX on my studio rig is that it has 16 gigs and all of the programs and in house processes had enough room to breathe and flex their bodies. I don't know.

I'm pretty sure there are people here on the forum that have paid more attention to pc technology and Win 8 in general and FSX related stuff in particular than your's truly, and will be able to Once I was a bleeding edge geek, nowadays I'm mostly just a user, even though I have the occasional relapse from time to time. ;) Comes with becoming a dad I guess. But this dad still haven't lost his joy of playing. :)

Thanks for the heads up. I might consider putting in an order for 16 GB 2666 RAM instead of 8 GB.

Kind regards

Hans J.

Get GTX680 instead...

Nevermind, I see that you have different monitors.

:)

Yup. But thanks anyway, for sharing.

As part of my project is panning the view across five screens and be able to use my TrackIr for all it's worth Nvidia with their 3 screen spanning limitation defined themselves off my radar. If they come to their senses that will change. I have read enough of this forum the last months to be well aware that Nvidia has a very devote following here, based on AMD/ATI has historically done a bad job of rendering FS clouds.

However my Radeon 7770 haven't so far shown any trouble rendering the any clouds REX Essential could conjure up, nor FSX's own clouds, at least from what I can see. It seemed to handle them smooth and without stuttering what so ever. So, things may have changed. As they always do, sooner or later. Maybe AMD finally has started paying closer attention to their drivers, none too soon. I don't expect the top of the line 7970 GHz edition to put up any more trouble than the 7770, at least. Hopefully it might fare a little better. :)

Cross fingers that I may not be disappointed. :)

Hans J.

Please tell me are you disabled c3 and c6 when using core offset or manually mode. Did you really disabled c1E?

Kind Regards Tom

Please tell me are you disabled c3 and c6 when using core offset or manually mode. Did you really disabled c1E?

Kind Regards Tom

:blush: Did a quick check on my setup. I do have C1E enabled. Sorry about that. All other C State are disabled.

I use offset to set voltage.