Sign in to follow this  
paul123

Running 2 computers for FSX

Any tips on multiple network connections? Meaning both my network and main PC (both running W7) have wireless connection to my router to get out to the internet but I have a gigabit switch to connect the two directly.

Gigabit switch is a waste, a total waste... Seriously, if your not in a datacentre pushing hundreds of megabytes or gigabytes non-stop, you wont even get 10% of its performance.

Chances are, your disk setup cant provide data fast enough to even satisfy a 100mbps network connection... Just use the wi-fi for both... Your internet isn't going to use much (0.5 to 1mbps) if browsing the web, so the rest of it is to use for PC to PC transfer.

Just take a look at the network utilisation when doing a big file transfer..

Streaming the BBC video news or HD from the BBC iPlayer directly to my PC uses 2.5% max of a 100Mbps connection, and even that's not constant, it drops off every second or so because even that 2.5% usage allows it to buffer ahead of itself. Gigabit connections are wasted on home users that don't have mass disk throughput speeds and who don't understand bridging and many other things. I can max out my upload speed of 2Mbps when uploading websites, but have yet to find anything that can max out my internal 100Mbps network, not even half...

Well, typically, its datacentre spec for &@($*-backwards ways of watching a movie, or for those who download them on the naughty lol

(Seeing the amount of computers that come though my hands every week, 5/10 are downloading them illegally), but my point was @ FSX :P

Hi All

Can this be done with different OSs ie Widows 7 (64 bit) and Vista 32 bit?

Thanks

Alan

Really? How so? I have CAT6 network at home, including all Gbit components. In my old 100mbit CAT5 network I wasn't able to stream ripped bluray MKVs via network (up to 20GB per file, about 2hrs). Now I am. And I have no datacentre...

I love this guy. And I thought I was the only FS user who liked to stream MKVs while at cruise :)

I've noticed that VATSIM apps like FSInn don't perform quite as well on a separate system connected via WIFI. Sometimes the voice trips up a bit. Otherwise I've never had any problems running all of these apps on a separate networked computer on any sort of network setup.

Chris Virgilio

Gigabit switch is a waste, a total waste...

*sigh* GIGABIT data capacity has absolutely nothing to do with my choice of router. I'm sorry I mentioned it - I didn't have to. I want to use a switch between PCs and a router because that's my internet access. If anyone's got the details on setting that up, thank you.

Drew Sikora

Staff Blog

Founder/Designer, MSE Airports

Ahh, sorry mate, you said earlier:

both my network and main PC (both running W7) have wireless connection to my router to get out to the internet

Your wifi should be more than sufficient for both internet and FSX..

Best thing is to keep things simple. Stick to 1 or the other. If you have a cabled connection to your router for internet access then use that, as it will be more stable, in terms no interference with wifi signals :-)

If I wanted to run REX with all my other add ons would a 2 PC system make a big difference in FPS?