Sign in to follow this  
188AHC

Microsoft has announced an update to Flight

. Also, Loki has been pretty scarce over at the Steam forums. Don't know what's going on, but I hope he hasn't been moved. He has been a valuable asset to the Flight community.

He is no longer listed as a mod there. Doesn`t look good. (or , looking on the bright side, they have started up development again so it`s back to the old say nothing system - but I very much doubt it)

Well the whole flight saga has been odd, so a little more strangeness can hardly be a shock. Flight seems to have developed at the very least a cult following, and I wonder what Microsoft is thinking about all the continued activity around their cancelled product.

Or maybe they just don't want to set a precedent of active and friendly mods.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

plus I still see nowhere like on microsoftflight.com that the product wass canceled. instead it still says there as of today under game features --> aicraft: Check back often as new aircraft are being released regularly. Well, we got the C64. Anything else in the pipeline? So what does that mean unless it is a complete misrepresentation of the current situation and misleading of potential new customers who are investing money in Flight and expect that the DLC continue? I know countries where such 'behaviour' by a company would be forbidden. But I did not expect that a company like MS just abandoned the sinking (?) ship which is now floating around without guidance and without checking the promises on their website.

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

Let's be clear about this whole issue. Microsoft cancelled "development" on the Flight platform. It was never stated that they would not provide an update to correct some problems. Nor did they ever state that they would. They have not stated that they would shut down the servers where Flight resides. They have never stated that the purchaser of the sim could not use it. They have issued no time line or statement as to when or if the Windows Live servers will no longer accept Flight sign-ins. Let's try not to read a bunch of guesses and speculations into this, please.

Granted, they have not updated their website to reflect where they are today but that isn't unusual in today's business atmosphere. As far as "misrepresentation" goes, that assumption would be left to the potential purchaser. If anyone in the flight sim arena doesn't know the status of Flight at this point, then they haven't been looking very hard.

The questions raised above and in the thread are the very reasons we were happy to see Loki participating as much as he did. We can only hope that this is just a short diversion from Flight and that he and Sol will continue on the path that they have been on.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Just been on the Steam forum - Loki has left the team. It`s just Sol and Barbarossa now.

I for one am sorry to see him depart. He was the one bright light that we had. I hope Sol and Barbarossa can continue where Loki left off. I also wish him the best wherever he lands.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

I for one am sorry to see him depart. He was the one bright light that we had. I hope Sol and Barbarossa can continue where Loki left off. I also wish him the best wherever he lands.

You are not the only one. Especially since the departure was so abrupt, and right in the middle of the update rollout. This raises a number of questions; not least of which is the status of the beta, and whether this presages Microsoft lapsing back to its habitually uncommunicative ground-state.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

not least of which is the status of the beta

which beta now? are there 2? asking since I got an update recently and finally though too late I have no corrupt installation issues any more. but is there more in the pipeline now?

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

As far as I know, the beta has not been successfully pushed through GFWL yet, which would mean that some users may have not been reached. In my mind, the beta is not complete until it has been successfully pushed to all users.

As for "new" betas, all I can say is that Loki seemed to be a driving force in this effort, and I wonder about the status of the current beta insofar as addressing any other outstanding issues with mesh and etc. essentially; will there be any further work without Loki.

Devons rig

Loki was a developer. He could fix things. If he's gone, then there aren't likely to be any more fixes, unless the new person is also a developer. This also means that if it's not available on GFWL now, then it's not likely to be in the future. I haven't checked the Steam forums in a week, and if anything there changes my mind, I'll update this post.

UPDATE: <sigh>

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

I think it's pretty much "game over ". Soliece has been assigned project "shut down".

I think it's pretty much "game over ". Soliece has been assigned project "shut down".

Where is this info coming from? I haven't heard anything like this. Solicest's last post over at Steam doesn't indicate this - "We will miss Loki as well.

We still have the rest of the team here working hard to take care of you, I assure you."

I hope your info isn't what's happening, but you never know.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

I am quite sorry about Loki leaving like this, but not as much as I was sorry to see the abrupt and unexplained end of development for Flight. I hope he's got something interesting for him to do at least...

About Soliceste and Barbarossa, what is their status towards Flight and future possible betas about bugs ? Are they able to retreive a possible forgotten livery and post it in the DLC list, like Loki have with a plane ?

As for getting the last update on GFWL, I know it's there because I've got it, but I'm afraid (not sure though) one will have to delete and reinstall the core game from within the GFWL application in order to have the last published version (that is what happened to me). I had no statistic loss of any kind, just a 1.4Go DL...

Where is this info coming from? I haven't heard anything like this. Solicest's last post over at Steam doesn't indicate this - "We will miss Loki as well.

We still have the rest of the team here working hard to take care of you, I assure you."

I hope your info isn't what's happening, but you never know.

I hope I'm wrong, but it sure has gotten quite. They won't even answer a question about the missing update for GFWL.

I have noticed this as well . Now Loki has gone it`s back to the bad old days where you could not get a peep out of `em. :mellow: