Sign in to follow this  
pride545

Shutting down topics

Seems kinda too bad that some people on theses forums can just shut a topics down 'cause they don't agree with the subject. Oh well, they have the power and we don't! And don't tell me it's a private froum, I am well aware of that! :mad: It seems to me that PMDG could police their own forum!

Seems kinda too bad that some people on theses forums can just shut a topics down 'cause they don't agree with the subject. Oh well, they have the power and we don't! And don't tell me it's a private froum, I am well aware of that! :mad: It seems to me that PMDG could police their own forum!

I on the other hand believe that the topics that have been closed off had a legitimate reason to be removed, a sudden change in the initial topic, disrespect or other rules broken. I agree with the moderators, as there is a limit to everything.

Also, PMDG prefers if you open a support ticket with them, as no one wants to check each reply within the forums. So the work of administrators on the PMDG forums is a great thing, they keep it in check, while PMDG has other important matters to deal with.

This isn't a private forum btw, however i am not sure if that's what you are implying, the AVSIM forum is quite public, the PMDG sub-division is only there for forum support, and general discussion, that is governed by PMDG but is not excluded from the general rules of the forum, the AVSIM staff reserve any right to remove, close or move a topic that does not adhere to the established rules of the AVSIM forum.

Making sense out of nonsense.

Regards,
Jamaljé Bassue

This isn't a private forum

He meant it in the sense of "privately owned" forum, which means that the owner makes the rules and freedom of speech doesn't apply here.

Which is true....there is no freedom of speech here. But, alas, it is what it is. There are some very heavy handed moderators here IMO and some more level headed ones. It is a trade off. Sometime it gets very very nit picky, and I agree that topics should only be closed due to rule infractions, never because a mod does not feel like dealing, or reading it.

But again, it is what it is, while this place takes donations, it is not owned by the public, therefor we follow the rules placed, and must go along with the people who run it.

I'm all for free speech, and leniency in forums, public or private.

I will say, however, that part of their heavy-handedness is a learned trait. Don't give them a reason to be heavy handed and they'll generally back off some in the grey areas.

Kyle Rodgers

Your sig is the best I have seen yet! ^

Thanks. It's what happens when I can't sleep, am bored, and tired of the old one. Haha...

Kyle Rodgers

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "PMDG General Forum" to "Hangar Chat". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.

Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Let's get some things correct first... This is not PMDG's forums per se. They are AVSIM's. We host the PMDG support forum and have done so for years; since nearly PMDG's beginning. The rules that apply to all other AVSIM forum categories apply to the PMDG forum as well. They have their own, more specific rules, but underlying all are AVSIM's Terms of Service. YOU AGREED and continue to agree to those Terms of Service as long as you are using the system. I suggest you read them again - the link can be found at the bottom of every page of AVSIM and in my signature. Therefore, AVSIM staff do and will continue to monitor ALL forums in our system, and will take whatever steps necessary to enforce our ToS'. If we are repeatedly doing that with one individual, then we will remove that indivdual's ability to continue to violate our ToS'. If our ToS' are not acceptable to someone, they have the liberty of choice... They do not have to use our system. But, a person can't have it both ways, be a member but ignore our ToS'.

AVSIM * IS * a private forum system as you seem to recognize. And, not to put too fine a point on it, until a taxpayer supported government entity takes us over, it will remain a private forum.

Which is true....there is no freedom of speech here. But, alas, it is what it is. There are some very heavy handed moderators here IMO and some more level headed ones. It is a trade off. Sometime it gets very very nit picky, and I agree that topics should only be closed due to rule infractions, never because a mod does not feel like dealing, or reading it.

Please provide me an example of where a topic was closed because one of our mods, or me, "does not feel like dealing, or reading it"?

I'm all for free speech, and leniency in forums, public or private.

I will say, however, that part of their heavy-handedness is a learned trait. Don't give them a reason to be heavy handed and they'll generally back off some in the grey areas.

You said it, Kyle. What has surprised me lately is the quick protest of moderators ---well-- moderating by some members. These are, many times, the same members that agree with and/or add reputation points to some of the rudest posts in threads. This past week I've noticed a lot more of this trend. It's very difficult to keep the forum a friendly place when a hand full of members support such unfriendly actions.

I also like that signature banner!

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Tom, I was not trying to start an argument or question your authority and I HAVE read the rules. It just seems the same old answer is given. Like it or go elsewhere. That is fine. I was just questioning why you say "this post is going no-where. closed it!ut, I shoulda just kept my mouth shut as I see now!

A topic you started. Contrary to how you read it, I saw no "extreme" behavior in it at all. It just didn't go the way you wanted it to, and it was closed.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/387460-major-announcement/

And after just that one example, I am done. I started to run them down, but figured that it would be defended and debated into oblivion, so I see no real use.

You and the rest of the team do a good job most of the time, and I understand some of the stuff you see, but it still stands that this is the most heavy handed community when it comes to moderation around town. Who honestly cares how long posts go on, or if someone is beating the horse past dead and well into the second death with a post going on and on. It is a discussion and FS community. The main and only purpose of this place it to talk, and discuss.

All I am saying is that sometimes, it goes too far, just like sometimes posters go too far. Instead of their posts being plainly edited, or deleted most of the time, or efforts made to steer the topic back on track, it is simply closed.

I must say I'm not sure why that topic was shutdown, there was some fun speculation going on =S.

It just seems the same old answer is given. Like it or go elsewhere. That is fine. I was just questioning why you say "this post is going no-where. closed it!ut, I shoulda just kept my mouth shut as I see now!

What other answer are we supposed to give? "Sure go ahead and play here anyway you want to"?

I must say I'm not sure why that topic was shutdown, there was some fun speculation going on =S.

Because some folks don't understand tongue-in-cheek humor and immediately want to see hints and announcements in it. I shut it down before those types started to cast aspersions on my parentage.

A topic you started. Contrary to how you read it, I saw no "extreme" behavior in it at all. It just didn't go the way you wanted it to, and it was closed.

http://forum.avsim.n...r-announcement/

And after just that one example, I am done. I started to run them down, but figured that it would be defended and debated into oblivion, so I see no real use.

You and the rest of the team do a good job most of the time, and I understand some of the stuff you see, but it still stands that this is the most heavy handed community when it comes to moderation around town. Who honestly cares how long posts go on, or if someone is beating the horse past dead and well into the second death with a post going on and on. It is a discussion and FS community. The main and only purpose of this place it to talk, and discuss.

All I am saying is that sometimes, it goes too far, just like sometimes posters go too far. Instead of their posts being plainly edited, or deleted most of the time, or efforts made to steer the topic back on track, it is simply closed.

Contrary to popular belief, the Mods and Admins are human--with real personalities, short comings, strengths, feelings, etc. We're (mods) all a different bunch with different mentalities and attitudes, but we're all here to keep this place what it has been for years; A friendly environment. We achieve that in different ways, but I feel we're successful either way.

Since you linked this particular thread: This place (in one way, shape, or form) has been around since 1996 thanks to doing things Tom's way. That's gotta say something, surely?

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules