Sign in to follow this  
0164beechwood456

Could anybody tell me why my computer reboots itself.

Hi can anybody give me some advice please.Halfway through a flight my computer reboots. I have attached the install log.

Unstable overclock? Heat issues?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

When a computer starts rebooting for no apparent reason, the problem is often a burned out power supply. You can check this by smelling the power supply. It should not smell burned. If it does smell burned, it's time to replace it.

The good news is, power supplies aren't that expensive, and it's not a difficult job to do yourself. Just keep track of where you unplugged the wires from the old one.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

The other thing I have experienced when dealing with Memory Intensive installations that use a large amount of RAM is that sometimes you can have a bad stick of ram. If you run memtest86 (http://www.memtest.org/ for a self booting ISO) and you get a lot of errors you could have bad ram also a cheap fix typically depending on your RAM type.

I had a PC for years that had a random reboot issue when installing large programs or playing only my flight sim and I couldn't figure it out turned out it was simply a bad stick of ram that I had to replace and then it was rock solid. I have seen this issue with several computers now that I had to troubleshoot for similar issues.

What does your windows error log say?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Hi thanks once again for the replies. At the minute I am doing the memory test, and the answer to the windows error message there does not seem to be one. It shuts down and asks to reboot in safe mode. I have had a smell of the power supply and that seems okay as it is not that old.After checking the memory I am going to give it another run with the same settings and see what happens. It seems always to be when i,m am landing on a ils, about 900ft from the runway.

Hi can anybody give me some advice please.Halfway through a flight my computer reboots. I have attached the install log.

You have a bad RAM memory stick. This happened to me.

I've never had a bad RAM stick myself, so I don't know what the symptoms are.

I'm guessing here that the computer rebooted without showing a blue screen. A blue screen usually comes up for various hardware errors, and can give you some information about where the problem might be.

If the computer simply shuts down suddenly, but doesn't come back up until you power cycle it, that's a different problem, often an overheated CPU. If that's the case, check your cooling fan for dust (I once had a CPU burn up during the warranty period because of this, replaced under warranty because I cleaned the fan before taking it in for repair). Get some kind of CPU temperature monitor. I use Intel Desktop Utilities, which will give an alert if the CPU temp gets above a critical point. I understand the i7 I've currently got will throttle back the clock speeds if it overheats, so that may not be a problem depending on what CPU you have.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Looking through your log, I'm wondering if XP is running into any issues with the read/write permissions being in a user desktop directory. Try moving the folder off your desktop and into the root of the C: or D: drives (if you have multiple) and avoid program files or any user directory (c:\Users\[user Name]\... can have issues).

A blue screen (BSOD = Blue Screen Of Death) usually means a driver, software configuration issue or a memory read/write problem and once in a blue moon a sync timing issue where the processor is at one Hz and the memory at another and it causes a BSOD when things go out of whack.

A direct reboot (black screen, then everything as if you hit the reset button) usually means overheating or a overclock gone wrong and the computer didn't know what to do, so it just went to sleep and woke up and went back to windows as if they previous boot never happened.

Looking at your log file, XP is seeing a 2.4gHz processor with all 4 cores at 2.4ish speeds, so no overclocking. A bad stick of memory could cause the computer to dump suddenly, but usually results in a BSOD with a could not read/write sector XXX error.

Hopefully some of these posts pointed you in the right direction. Check your cooling. I have a big 'ol 13" fan sitting next to my case with the side door off and it blowing in just to keep enough air flowing around the chassis. The liquid cooling unit takes up most of the heat vents in the back of my case blocking most air flow out. This fan pushes so much air in that the heat finds its way out. The downside is that I have to clean out my tower more often from dust and hair that get in.

There is a program called RealTemp that can monitor your heat of all your devices as long as they will communicate the temp in a specific but typical method. When I'm working with my overclocking, I put up a second display with RealTemp running on it so I can monitor it while I run the software that will create the most heat on my system. If after an hour of simming or intense gaming the temps don't get near the triple digits, I'm good. During the summer, it's hard to keep my CPU at less than 70C without killing the electric bill and keeping the house at near 70C in the middle of the Florida summer, but 80C is more sustainable financially and I try to keep my gaming in the evening when its already cooler inside and out, so easier to cool the house and thusly the computer that is cooled with the air inside the house.

Check you Ram...

Highly recommend Memcheck86+ (FREE)

http://www.memtest.org/

Burn the CD and boot from the CD.

Let it run overnight .. ( at least 10 full passes)

(If it's cold at night, consider also running during the day for 12 hours !!)

Hi thanks again for the replies. I have not had the problem since so I do not know if it was a one off. I have been running core temp alongside xp and my temps have been fluctuating to max 73 deg is this a problem? Is it better to run with the case side panel off?

my temps have been fluctuating to max 73 deg is this a problem?

No, such temperatures are no real problem that should cause a shutdown.

Is it better to run with the case side panel off?

No, it is worse. The cases are designed to have a certain airflow. If you leave the side panel off this airflow no longer works as designed and there is a much higher risk that the temperature rises in certain areas,