Sign in to follow this  
Pe11e

ProcSpeed value problem

Hi all!

I'm very new at this forum, but I'm old in Flight Simulations, and also in FSX.

Anyway recently FSX started to be "Choppy" at 40fps, not fluid like before. Also, and more important, the scenery was loading very very slowly, blurries all the way. So I decided to delete fsx.cfg and FSX was working again perfectly. Next day I started it second time after deleting fsx.cfg, and all strange behaviour is here again. So I started monitoring what is wrong with fsx.cfg, decided to delete ProcSpeed line just for experiment and voilla FSX working good again! So now, every time I want to fly I must enter fsx.cfg and delete ProcSpeed line to allow FSX to insert a proper new value. Now ProcSpeed=10155, yesterday ProcSpeed=10402, so that's not a small difference!

I have decend setup, Q9505@3.6ghz, nVidia GTX 560OC, 4GB or RAM, Win7 64bit.

It looks like the speed of the CPU is changing constantly, but I'm sure that on the boot screen says 3.57ghz every time.

Any ideas what is causing this?

Thanks in advance!

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

I’m sorry but "ProcSpeed" is just a number used by FSX to calculate the default PerfBucket settings (ie. default slider settings when fsx.cfg is recreated), and not used again by FSX.

They are not used beyond default settings, and we do not "read" the values back out of the config - they are "write only". We use them internally in our labs as extra verification of hw, there is no use in changing them. If you think that changing them is doing something, its not.

Here is the whole explanation from Phil Taylor's blog SP1:Tweak of the Week ( or not )

You might get different "ProcSpeed" readings because of several circumstances, one of them being the number and activity of other windows active processes when you launch FSX, etc.

To increase your overall performance have a look at Word Not Allowed's tweak guide.

Cheers.

Excellent response there Ramon!

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Strange.

But how FSX is working properly only when I delete ProcSpeed line?

Overall perfomance in my FSX is quite good for my system, getting low 20s on populated Aerosoft airports with 10-20 AI airplanes, and ~40fps in air with Airbus X, very high settings in FSX.

It;s not quite a big deal to delete the ProcSpeed line everytime, it's only quite strange for me, because that's strange behaviour started suddenly few months ago.

Btw thanks for the links mate!

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Strange.

But how FSX is working properly only when I delete ProcSpeed line?

Must just be coincidence or placebo since that line doesn't actually do anything as has been pointed out. Something else must be going on.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I'm quite sure it's not a placebo, tested it several times. Everytime when I leave current procspeed value, fsx stutters or blurries are all the way, and when I delete the line, everything works like it should. That's because I'm repeating "strange", especially after reading that procspeed is only write only value, fsx doesn't read it.

I'll take my chances with another go on various lines in fsx.cfg, like bufferpools, TBM and such, but after MONTHS spent on tweaking FSX, my hopes aren't high.

Why not try Ramon's advice? Since it started suddenly, what happened on that date? Is there a restore point to show a change in your system? Re-install the video drivers.

Dave

Other games and generally software is working perfectly on my system, so drivers are not a problem. I changed CPU year ago, but this started to happen circa 6 months ago, same system setup. Anyway as I said, permoance in my FSX is very decent with high settings, lots of AI traffic (MyTraffix X), it just that glitch that almost every time I must delete ProcSpeed line to back FSX "to life".

Other games and generally software is working perfectly on my system, so drivers are not a problem.

Unfortunately just because other games and "general software" work fine, doesn't mean that the drivers or other OS settings you have are fine for FSX. Its been noted for years in these forums that some drivers work great for FSX and other software while some drivers are aweful for FSX but work great for everything else. FSX is much more demanding than just about and general software or games and the slightest misconfiguration of drivers, driver settings, or OS setup can cause a variety of problems in FSX that wont manifest in other less demanding programs.

However, like the other fellow said, proceed on course if your dead set on that other line in your FSX.cfg that doesnt do anything. Delete it everytime before you fly.

If I were you, I would wipe the whole OS, start from scratch and use NickN's guide for the OS setup and initial FSX setup, then proceed to tinker with Kostas guide. The thing is, Kostas guide doesnt really tell you how to configure your OS and install FSX. He just has some recommendations for after the sim is installed and some GPU settings for Inspector and a few cfg tweaks.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Thanks for answers guys. :)

Everytime when FSX wants to "hickup" I will delete that line and continue.

The thing is, I have in my OS a bunch of software for graphic design, motion design, 3d modeling & render, lots of games, and beside all that FSX, so even when I reinstall my Win7, after installing all that software, it is a question will FSX work without hickups.

And yes, I configured Inspector just yesterday. :)

cheers

I would think that if the lead developer of FSX says that the line is not read by the sim, its only written, then that must be the case. Something else must be causing the hiccups

vatsim s3

1133704.png

My guess is, that deleting that line forces FSX to rewrite fsx.cfg.

So a new fsx.cfg file seems to work for you..

Question is, what does fsx.cfg look like when FSX is choppy?

Bert

Hello

Bert, I have a tool to monitor if fsx.cfg is rewritten or updated in any way when you delete that line. Will test tonight if possible.

but I assume that it is not the case because then all your other settings would revert to whatever default FSX thinks its best based on the procspeed test.

As for your last question: Who knows? everybody has been trying to figure it out since FSX launch.

My guess is, that deleting that line forces FSX to rewrite fsx.cfg.

So a new fsx.cfg file seems to work for you..

Question is, what does fsx.cfg look like when FSX is choppy?

Hmmmmm, not sure I understood you, but when I delete ProcSpeed line, fsx.cfg content and values stayed completely the same, only FSX adds ProcSpeed line (in the actual cfg) with a new recalculated value that works.