Sign in to follow this  
FSMuseum

A Sudden Change of Heart

It can slow to 7fps, although that is still flyable and steady.

You're kidding! ........ At 7 FPS the FSX FDE cannot even be operating properly.

A flight sim can't be called a flight sim unless you're getting an absolutely minimum 15-18 FPS ... for me, it HAS to be 20 as an absolute minimum.

Anything lower is just a slide show AKA... flying (floating) textures!

and I'm a she lol

Woops, sorry :Whistle:

Still heavily invested in FS 9 - Have 10 installed and some tweaks performed, but at this time, I haven't purchased any additional add on's PMDG or Accusim. We'll see where it goes.

I managed to get FSX back up and running with a couple addons, but I'm probably gonna stick with FS9 mainly.

You're kidding! ........ At 7 FPS the FSX FDE cannot even be operating properly.

A flight sim can't be called a flight sim unless you're getting an absolutely minimum 15-18 FPS ... for me, it HAS to be 20 as an absolute minimum.

Anything lower is just a slide show AKA... flying (floating) textures!

Totally agree. While I can get up to 30 FPS most of the time, the errors are really a bringdown

FS2004 Forever

I will always be with my fs9 rex+over drive zineretek pmdg fly tampa <3 90fps with fsx graphics on fs9, fsx isnt worth it anymore fs9 4 ever!!!

Let me identify the 7fps then, usually 7-9 whilst swinging round or on approach, bearing in mind there's 4 detail airports in sight ( Heathrow, Stansted, Gatwick, London City),

Plus the smaller airfields, then on top of that London itself (The Aerosoft one), then photo scenery, and treescapes, Traffic density at 50, GA at 12, REX Essentials,

Textures set at 4096, Display at 2560x1600,.

Once on the last 3 miles frames are back up to 12-14, and on the ground 18-20.

Switch Off Aerosoft London and it stays around 12-14.

Depends what you are used to, so far no pancakes on the runway, so something must be useable lol.

I've been running FSX in DX10 mode (although now happy with it thanks to the mods) for 5 years, and only built this new computer 1 year nearlly now.

The old computer, with that level of detail, running at 1680x1050, minus aerosoft london, Stansted, Gatwick and London City slows to 3fps with everything on,

so PC's have come on a long way, and that is hardly flyable.

That's the new computer stressed out, have yet to de-tune it and take some readings.

But yes, FS9 is faster, but lacking some of the details, I love Spec and Bump maps, so things just don't look as nice for me personally,

even on the old computer, it will run FS9 stupid fast with all sliders maxed.

A lot of people seem to obsess over framerates as the be-all-and-end-all of usability. Personally I think smoothness is much more important.

It also depends what sort of flying you're doing - Low level barnstorming where you need quick reactions also calls for a higher framerate. Flying a tubeliner, you can get away with a much lower rate.

Visually I find things are optimum as long as they're close to the limit at 30fps. Anything around 20fps is acceptable, as are dips into the mid teens. Once things drop to around 10fps it starts to feel like flying through treacle though I find it just about possible to keep the plane flying. Once fps drops much below that though I have to say it usually results in a crash, since I find myself overcontrolling because I'm not seeing the response to inputs in time.

Of course that's just speaking generally and for FSX. I don't think I've seen FS9 drop below 50fps, so it's not so much of an issue with it! :lol:

Dr V

A lot of people seem to obsess over framerates as the be-all-and-end-all of usability. Personally I think smoothness is much more important.

It also depends what sort of flying you're doing - Low level barnstorming where you need quick reactions also calls for a higher framerate. Flying a tubeliner, you can get away with a much lower rate.

Visually I find things are optimum as long as they're close to the limit at 30fps. Anything around 20fps is acceptable, as are dips into the mid teens. Once things drop to around 10fps it starts to feel like flying through treacle though I find it just about possible to keep the plane flying. Once fps drops much below that though I have to say it usually results in a crash, since I find myself overcontrolling because I'm not seeing the response to inputs in time.

Of course that's just speaking generally and for FSX. I don't think I've seen FS9 drop below 50fps, so it's not so much of an issue with it! :lol:

Dr V

My lowest ever framerate in FS9 was 9 FPS with an old computer my uncle gave me years ago :LMAO:

FS2004 Forever

Being new to flight sims I gotta admit I own both FSX and now FS2004 and I admit I like FS2004 better. It just runs better and I haven't had a flight yet over an hour or so in FSX that didn't crash. Is that just me or is that typical?

Being new to flight sims I gotta admit I own both FSX and now FS2004 and I admit I like FS2004 better. It just runs better and I haven't had a flight yet over an hour or so in FSX that didn't crash. Is that just me or is that typical?

I think that's just you, I've completed flights well in excess of 14 hours

FS2004 Forever

Like Chris said, probably just something with your setup otherwise the forums would be flooded for years about that topic if it was a typical problem, especially if the sim crashed after only an hour. Just imagine all the complaints from people who like to fly the PMDG birds, if they couldn't keep it going for more than 60 minutes, lol.

I've done plenty of 8+ hour long flights and mine never crashed. I even went thru a spell where I was too lazy to shut FSX down so that I wouldn't have to reboot it and left it running for days on end so that I could just step into the cockpit and fly my next leg and it didn't even crash then. The only thing that did make it crash 4 years ago was when I first installed it and didn't have the 3gb switch installed (not necessary for 64bit sytems). Once that was done I haven't had an issue since.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Like Chris said, probably just something with your setup otherwise the forums would be flooded for years about that topic if it was a typical problem, especially if the sim crashed after only an hour. Just imagine all the complaints from people who like to fly the PMDG birds, if they couldn't keep it going for more than 60 minutes, lol.

I've done plenty of 8+ hour long flights and mine never crashed. I even went thru a spell where I was too lazy to shut FSX down so that I wouldn't have to reboot it and left it running for days on end so that I could just step into the cockpit and fly my next leg and it didn't even crash then. The only thing that did make it crash 4 years ago was when I first installed it and didn't have the 3gb switch installed (not necessary for 64bit sytems). Once that was done I haven't had an issue since.

I recently got a new laptop specially made to handle programs like FSX that require large amounts of processor power to run sufficiently, and I have only had an issue when installing SweetFX, but after taking that away everything is fine.

FS2004 Forever

Uh guys, you keep bashing FSX and say it's so 'crappy' when I have so MANY addons for my FSX, and I never get one error ever during a flight!

It's just the people who intall craploads of ENB and stuff that get these errors.

You guys stick to your FS9 now, but once the PMDG 777 comes out you'll be bummin'!

Go FSX, go!

Steps on how to make FS9 look like FSX

1. Get ultimate terrain USA and Europe

2. Get zinertek water and night environment pro

3. Get ground environment pro

4. Get rex and then get Over Drive with it

5. Get some custom airport lighting and better effects

6. Get world of Ai traffic

7. Get AES

8. Get ASe

9. Get flytampa and fs dream team airports

10. Profit?

Got almost all of them, but still prefer default FSX over my extensively modified FS9. FS9 looks like a tired old lady no matter how much make up she puts on.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Got almost all of them, but still prefer default FSX over my extensively modified FS9. FS9 looks like a tired old lady no matter how much make up she puts on.

Only because FSX has more autogen better water effects and more hi res textures if their were only something like that for fs9