There is this, which can be made to be left handed, sort of. Not fully lefty, and the buttons for various controls are still on the left side of the joystick when a lefty would like them on the right. But this one can be useful to some extent.

Again, not force feedback I believe.

http://www.avsim.com/pages/0212/Thrustmaster/Joystick.html

http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_UK/products/t16000m

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

I think that the X52 will reignite my yearning to fly and over the summer I'm sure I'll be taking many courses.

You will be happy with the X52, and by no means look at it as "Something to upgrade" because its bloomin awsome..

I recently got the X52 pro and its seriously good kit.. I'm a lefty too and the X52 Pro is easy to use and very comfortable for me..

The only thing you might want to do later is add the Saitek combat pedals and your all set :-)

Happy days :-)

Hi guys, I'm back with a few more questions.

1. So far, it seems as if I'll be getting the X52. Excited for that :)

2. I have some old steering wheel & pedals laying around. How do I set my old pedals up as rudder pedals & brakes? I can only set the pedals as rudder axis, but I can't set them for brakes since they're already assigned to the rudder.

How do you suggest I got about this? Does the X52 incorporate the twist that allows me to control the rudder yaw? Are pedals even necessary with the X52?

I'm horrible at taxiing, I end up going to fast somehow and going all over the place. I also don't know how to brake.

Help please :)

thanks,

-rf

By default, the trigger on an X52 is the brakes, but if you get some proper pedals, they have the brakes on the toe part of the pedals.

I think I read somewhere (Correct me if I'm wrong) but taxi speed is 25kts max, so if your "all over the place" chances are your going too fast and over controlling the aircraft.

If things get a bit "Whoooooaaaaaa" then just slow down and use small inputs...

Driving pedals are rigged differently to rudder pedals (at least they used to when I had a set, and if they're designed to simulate a real car's pedals, probably still do.)

Driving pedals have one axis per pedal.

Rudder pedals have a single axis and are rigged so when you push one forward, the other one comes back, like they're pivoting around a point in between your feet. Most rudder pedals also have two more axes, one for each pedal, which are usually mapped to what are called toe brakes. These are used when taxiing to help supplement the rudder/nosewheel steering by applying the brakes on one side of the plane. Push both toebrakes down at the same time equally for full braking.

So you could probably configure your racing pedals as left and right toe brakes, but I don't think they'd be suitable for a rudder control.

As for how to taxi - as RCITGuy says, the slower the better. From a starting position slowly ease up the throttle until you're just about able to move, then once you've started moving drop the throttle as you build up momentum. Throttle back a little as you approach a turn, and keep your speed under 25kts (or if you're in an aircraft where the speed indicator doesn't "come alive" until 40kts, just keep it "dead"). You might find it easier to switch to an external view for taxiing, though some might feel that's cheating a bit.

Personally I suck at taxiing, still swerving all over the place, but I'm slowly improving.

Dr V

Hello RF!

Welcome to AVSIM! I am new too and excited to the world of FS!

I am surprised to see your thread because of the similarities in your situation and myself!

I am a lefty, I play FSX & BF3 as well! (Do add me up on Origin or BattleLog! Kooosh is my ign) Although I'm in my early twenties I'm not working yet as I am serving my nation and I am going to continue studying after that. So money is an issue for me too thus the considerations for alternative peripherals.

Check out my recent posts and threads! I'm sure you would be intrigued too! Haha

I hope you manage to learn well and don't forget to share your experience!

Cheers!

Jay

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk