Sign in to follow this  
brucek

Frame rate drops momentarily every 6 seconds

I've been trying new settings in FSX.CFG, and have a test situation I load to measure fps (PMDG MD11 holding short at KORD, with FSDT KORD and Aerosoft Chicago). Without panning, I measure fps (Shift-Z) and have noted a momentary drop in fps of about 10 fps every 6 seconds, very repeatable. I even restored my old FSX.CFG and tried some various settings in FSX Options/. Basically, for every combination of settings in FSX and FSX.CFG tweaked both by Word Not Allowed's settings and Bjote's web service, although I get different fps for all these combinations, I always get the drop in fps every 6 seconds.

I have Ultimate Traffic (latest), EZCA views, OPUS weather (real weather), as well as UTX, FSUIPC, and some other add ons that most of us run. System is a i7- 2700K with a GTX 460 GPU (soon to be upgraded :) ). The repeatability of this fps drop appears to be something getting regularly polled by the CPU, but I can't figure out what that might be. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Bruce.

Personally i dont use UT2 cause it causes just such pauses , complete freeze, you may want to disable UT2 just to confirm confirm.

A good way for tracking down issues that could be caused by lack of resource on yur PC, is to use task manager Resource Monitor, using this i noticed my system and FS drives were always too busy during sim, so added extra drive for FS addons. This helped with stutters related to texture load etc.

Try disabling weather too, just to rule that out. Then I'm wondering about antivirus programs...or something the kids downloaded while you were out

Hans Soule

Could it be the continuous refreshing of traffic labeling cycles in Ultimate Traffic 2? I use it, but do not experience such issues.

I do see this when looking at FPS however it never seems to impact once taxiing or airborne.

For example I can run a similar test while flying and see that the FPS drop however it doesnt seem to visibly show while I'm flying.

I still think you can easily drive yourself insane by monitoring the red FPS counter.

Hope the above makes sense.

Jas

Personally i dont use UT2 cause it causes just such pauses , complete freeze, you may want to disable UT2 just to confirm confirm.

Simmer - what AI program are you using?

Jas

Jaseman. Lovin it up here........

Catch us over at MassieSim32 -> https://discord.gg/B4buuHGhcr

Thanks for the many posts, much appreciated.

No FSUIPC autosave, Rick.

Will disable OPUX weather and try again, flibinite (cool handle)

Have downloaded MS process explorer- I have never used this before, looks like a powerful tool on determining which handles are active.

Jas- I totally agree with you- the only reason I even questioned these 6-second "pauses" is that I have been experimenting with fax.cfg settings and testing using a fixed flight file and measuring fps. I usually never go near the fps monitor!

Wil look at UT2 as well.

Thanks again, will report back when anything shows up. Bruce.

Jas- I totally agree with you- the only reason I even questioned these 6-second "pauses" is that I have been experimenting with fax.cfg settings and testing using a fixed flight file and measuring fps. I usually never go near the fps monitor!

Hey there Bruce. No problem mate. Good luck with it all.

Jas

Jaseman. Lovin it up here........

Catch us over at MassieSim32 -> https://discord.gg/B4buuHGhcr