Sign in to follow this  
kiwiflyer45

FS9 and Touch-Screen Monitors?

Has anyone any experience of using a touch screen monitor with FS9? I was thinking of maybe buying one and using it as an FMC, without needing a mouse for the "touchpad" etc. Will that work????

Ian

Tried it with XP64 and miserable results... This is with a true Lilliput Digital touchscreen monitor as well, not a USB version. Wondering if I would have better results with W7 but ended up using mine on my second PC for charts/moving map and it is ideal... I intended to use it as an FMC just like you though.

-Paul

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Ian ... why don't you go the whole hog and buy a stand-alone FMC such as the VRinsight, or similar.?

That way you truly experience a tactile response.

I asked this concerning Windows 8. The new OS has the best integration with touchscreen monitors but will it work with FSX let alone FS9. It would be sweet to interact with the VC using a touch screen but I don't feel it would be fully realized without using Windows 8. Windows 7 supports it but not to the level of 8.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Thanks for the input guys. Hopefully some others can shar experiences. I have dual video cards and only one of them is being used so I'm think with Christmas coming, I may try for some new "goodies." Any input is gratefuly accepted! ^_^

Ian ... why don't you go the whole hog and buy a stand-alone FMC such as the VRinsight, or similar.?

That way you truly experience a tactile response.

I have looked into that but they seem rather pricey. My thinking was that a regular touch screen monitor could be used for other purposes, so it would cost less and play the role of a MFD. But I do agree that the tacticle aspect is very appealing - one of the reasons why I love GoFlight modules so much

I've plugged in a USB Mimo mini monitor (screen is only 18cm diagonal) that's touchscreen, haven't had any major problems with it and have found it useful. I undock the FMC (or CIVA MCU or even the stock GPS) and drag it to that, then it can be controlled by touch. You can change the orientation of it too which is useful.

It's not perfect, the touch actually moves the mouse pointer and clicks so when you return to your mouse the pointer can be tough to track down sometimes. You can't right click (obvious really but sometimes is needed and can be a bit of a faff). If you have any 3D windows spanning your main monitor and the USB one the performance tanks (an undocked FMC or panel is fine, just don't think you're going to be putting a spot view on it.

Cheap as chips too :smile:.

I know you were initially asking about driving a full size monitor from a video card output (as I was initially considering) but I've found this little marvel has allowed me to "type" my routes into the FMC and I can leave pages up (or the GPS) on it without taking up any screen real estate while actually flying.

Just an idea, hope this helps,

Ian

I would steer away from USB monitors as they are mainly designed for static programs, most are just buggy software vga drivers that will cause you more grief with CTDs. Not to mention the massive performance hit. I started with a touch screen then moved onto a h/w FMC, but to be honest my touch was just as functional as my h/w FMC. Just do some research on touch screen monitors.

I think I'm going to shelve this idea - might resurrect it in the future as the technology changes but for now it sounds like it might be more trouble than it's worth..... (Unless I get a chance to borrow one and try it out for free....)

this is a bit off topic but this might be the second idea.

https://leapmotion.com/

i was thinking of using that as a mouse. from the demo videos its very responsive and it might work. coming out in jan i think for 79 bucks

Looks fascinating - I don't know that I want to be the first person to try it, but I'm sure we will all be interested in the results!!!

Looks fascinating - I don't know that I want to be the first person to try it, but I'm sure we will all be interested in the results!!!

yup. i was reading about its capabilities and it recognizes alot of hand gestures. perhaps maybe someone can make an addone where turning a nob can be simulated or gesturing up and down will turn on and off something. would be pretty cool with ez dock and track ir i think

Yes, that's kind of what I had in mind. I'm sure someone out there will give it a try so I will be looking forward to hearing what they have to say

At my work, we have an operations room set up as a trainer for the Navy. We use touch screens to simulate the various boxes, switches and controls that the users will encounter. People who have spent time on ships will tend to use the touch screens as intended. Newer people who are undergoing initial training tend to prefer using the mouse which is still attached to the workstations. I'm not sure if it is because they are more familiar with the concept of using a mouse, or what, but it is difficult to retrain them to simply touch the screen with their hands. I offer this purely as an anecdote.

I find the resolution of the touchscreens to be lacking. I'm not sure at this moment of the model of monitor we use, but I would say that is my only complaint. We are running the system off of Unix boxes, so it may be the OS which is a factor but it could also be my fat fingers. I've seen people get frustrated with using their fingers on the screen and trying to turn a dial, for example.

Because of this, I would be very careful when selecting a monitor based purely on other peoples experiences. Before I bought a touchscreen for use with FS, I would definitely want to try it out in the shop with my own fat fingers to make sure it met my expectations.

- Martin

At my work, we have an operations room set up as a trainer for the Navy. We use touch screens to simulate the various boxes, switches and controls that the users will encounter. People who have spent time on ships will tend to use the touch screens as intended. Newer people who are undergoing initial training tend to prefer using the mouse which is still attached to the workstations. I'm not sure if it is because they are more familiar with the concept of using a mouse, or what, but it is difficult to retrain them to simply touch the screen with their hands. I offer this purely as an anecdote.

I find the resolution of the touchscreens to be lacking. I'm not sure at this moment of the model of monitor we use, but I would say that is my only complaint. We are running the system off of Unix boxes, so it may be the OS which is a factor but it could also be my fat fingers. I've seen people get frustrated with using their fingers on the screen and trying to turn a dial, for example.

Because of this, I would be very careful when selecting a monitor based purely on other peoples experiences. Before I bought a touchscreen for use with FS, I would definitely want to try it out in the shop with my own fat fingers to make sure it met my expectations.

- Martin

Thank you for your reply Martin - that is exactly the sort of first hand advice I was hoping for. I've decided to shelve the idea - besides, with Christmas coming up, I probably shouldn't be spending my money on FS anyway! LOL And I'm fortunate enough to have several GoFlight modules, so most of my common key commands are done via them anyway...

Cheers mate

Ian