Sign in to follow this  
davidinbasel

Getting VoxATC to use SIDs and STARs.

I have a problem getting VoxATC to use SIDs and STARs.

I am using VoxATC v6.05 with FSX in a Windows 7 64bit environment, with 8GB ram. Only add-ons are VoxATC, FSUPIC, Reality XP’s GNS530W, and RealAir’sLancair Legacy (my IFR platform).

Here’s what I have done so far, based on reading the manual and Forum postings.

1 Downloaded the latest NaviGraph navdata FMS file for Level-D 767 format, installed into the FSX directory (Flight Simulator X/Level-D Simulations/navdata), and pointed VoxATC to that subdirectory in Advanced Settings; run the Indexer; and checked that SIDs and STARs are now available to VoxATC by loading VoxATC’s procedure pronunciation editor and checking for the presence of SIDs and STARs. All looks good.

2 Created a flight plan in FSX’s flight planner, and edited to ensure that the first waypoint after departure airport is a valid SID waypoint for the possible runways in use, and likewise ensuring that the last waypoint before the destination airport is a valid STAR entry point for all likely runways (using RouteFinder to identify the appropriate SID exit and STAR entry waypoints for the route). In my example the route is LFSB HOC LSZH. (By “ensuring a valid waypoint” I mean ensuring that waypoint name in the FSX flight plan is the same as on the SID or STAR. I note this because the specific longs/lats differ between the current navdata file and the old FSX data, but I presume that only the name is relevant.) I set the IFR cruising altitude to be at least that stated on the relevant STAR as required or likely for possible transitions, although I don’t know if this is relevant.

3 With the flight plan saved, I save the flight with the aircraft parked at a suitable gate at the destination airport (either allowing FSX to move the aircraft there when closing the flight planner, or having parked there before creating and saving the flight plan and choosing not the have the aircraft moved; I have tried both ways).

4 I then open another saved flight, check that it is fully opened by clicking various switches on the panel and ensuring they move, then close that flight. I then reopen the saved IFR flight. I understand that this is necessary to have FSX connect the saved IFR flight with the new flight plan created for that saved flight.

5. I check that the flight plan is registered for the flight by looking at the NavLog in the Knneboard, then open VoxATC, contact clearance, and request clearance for my IFR flight. I receive “Cleared to [destination airport], cleared as filed, climb and maintain flight level 60 …” No mention of the SID.

6. I have retried with different departure and arrival airports, different SID exit and STAR entry waypoints, but the result remains the same

Does anyone have any suggestions?

David

Hello David,

i suggest you make a "Runway Number Update" with the Tool in VoxATC.

For precise Discription pls. see the Help file from VoxATC. Could be, that some Runway Numbers have Differences in FSX and the NAVDATA, because over time the Magnetic Heading of a Runway can change as the locations of the magnetic poles vary.FSX Data are outdated.This could be the Problem for VxATC to assign the

SID and Stars at some Airports.

Volker

Hi David,

Your method of loading and starting your flight with VoxATC looks a bit complicated.

1. Create a flightplan with any flightplanner (I use FsBuild) and save it to your FSX flightpan folder.

2. Start FSX and position your chosen aircraft on the departure airport at any parking you prefer.

3. Set date and time if necessary.

4. Load the flight plan (say No to move aircraft).

5. Save the flight.

6. Start the flight.

7. Start VoxATC.

I tried 2 different flightplans LFSB-LSZA both from rwy 33.

Once I got "cleared direct BASUD", once "proceed direct Hochwald" (I did not get SID HOC5N but I think that is up to ATC).

These instructions I did not get from Clearance but after "Ready for departure".

Andreas (also in Basel)

Regards,

Andreas Gutzwiller

Would VOXATC have a mode that allows your flight plan to direct it? Surely irrespective of plan filed, you will be sent on a runway and departure that suits the weather winds and traffic?

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

"Surely irrespective of plan filed, you will be sent on a runway and departure that suits the weather winds and traffic?"

That's right. The flightplan you filed is the flightplan you are going to fly.

ATC gives you runway and SID or clear you to the first waypoint. You can ask ATC for some deviations (higher, lower, dev. for turbulence, weather etc).

It will not allow you to change the flightplan (if that is what you mean).

Andreas

Regards,

Andreas Gutzwiller

Going back to the post by Volker:

Are you using the default FSX airport for LFSB? Runway designators have been changed from 16/32 to 15/33 in 2008.

There are two LFSB airports available: a freeware one at http://www.euroairport2011.homepage.t-online.de/Home/1,000000355023,8,1

and a payware one by FranceVFR. I prefer the freeware one.

Andreas

Regards,

Andreas Gutzwiller

The flightplan you filed is the flightplan you are going to fly.

Hmm, but if you assign in your plan a departure waypoint east of the airport and you are sent to take off west, then there are some chances you won't be sent to that departure waypoint by ATC, especially if it's going to take you to a point back along the airway, wasting time?

Hmm, but if you assign in your plan a departure waypoint east of the airport and you are sent to take off west, then there are some chances you won't be sent to that departure waypoint by ATC, especially if it's going to take you to a point back along the airway, wasting time?

why one would file a flight path opposite the SID way-point's direction?

in general VoxATC would give you the SID for that way point at the east you filed (assuming this way-point has a SID) regardless to the fact that you will backtrack to the west afterward.

which makes sense, if you look at a SID chart you will see that a SID references the flight path up to the SID way point finale, that's where the SID ends.

That is the departure you would get by ATC as that is the Departure for that point you wanted to get to.

It (the SID) has no idea where you going to continue from there, it doesn't really care either.

Once you finished with the SID, you would be passed to Control and ATC Control will monitor your flight path back to the West giving you altitude

that is way behind the Airport TMA altitude used.

in real life you would probably be asked by ATC clearance to correct your flight plan or he will do it for you and give you a different route/departure clearance.

Joel Strikovsky
Banner_FS2Crew_NGX_Driver.jpg

why one would file a flight path opposite the SID way-point's direction?

Exactly, why would one file a flight plan with a direction?

Seems like assigning your own SIDs and STARs might be hit and miss with ATC whatever you choose.

I read Steve's post differently:

"If your flight's first waypoint is to the east and you are instructed to use a runway to the west, will you be directed properly to the first waypoint?"

If that is the question the answer is yes.

In the example flight from post #3 (LFSB-LSZA) I was using rwy 33 leading away from my first waypoint HOC. SID HOC5N will get me there.

Andreas

Regards,

Andreas Gutzwiller

The problem encountered was that one time the waypoint is ignored when not the other. I suggest the changing conditions within the sim are naturally going to alter the validity of a pre arranged departure plan. When assigning waypoints in a plan, ATC would direct you on a shortest path to the waypoints of the planned Airway but would ignore non Airway waypoints on departure unless they comply.

as a rule of thumb, don't file a SID nor STAR at your flight plan.

let Vox assign you one.

it would use the flight plan + the RW in use and you will get your SID/STAR.

worked 95% of the times.

Joel Strikovsky
Banner_FS2Crew_NGX_Driver.jpg

Joel, I agree "don't file a SID nor STAR at your flight plan."

As I understand it a flightplan basically consists of departure - first waypoint - ... - last waypoint - destination.

The runway and the exact path between departure - first waypoint and last waypoint - destination will be determined by ATC depending on weather and traffic.

That is why PMDG strips your flightplan of any SIDs and STARs. You have to put them into your FMC after you got them from ATC.

Andreas

Regards,

Andreas Gutzwiller

HI Davidinbasel,

back to the original question:

I (belatedly) had a look at your plane (RealAir’sLancair Legacy) this is a single engine GA prop not equipped with a programmable FMC but a GPS (Reality XP’s GNS530W) not being able to read Navigraphs data but having "a single worldwide database with Terrain and Obstacles most of Europe and North America".

Meaning that even if ATC gave you SID/STARs, how would you fly them?

I'm relatively new to VoxATC but it seems possible that VoxATC "reads" your a/c type and handles departures and approaches accordingly.

That may be why you never get SID/STARs.

Andreas

Regards,

Andreas Gutzwiller