Sign in to follow this  
nudata

Limited FPS Reduces Graphis Load

Hi,

You can reduce the load on FSX by shutting down windows proceses and programs that you do not need running while running FSX.If you do this you will have to google the processes that are running to see if you can shut them down. You will gain more than you think. And run your sim @ 30FPS. Any more and you will load the system and have stutters in the sim video. You can run the task manerger and you see just what is running and you will be shocked. If you can get someone that can write a .bat file that will shut down what you did when running FSX. FSX is competeing with all of the prcesses that are running.

Les :hi:

I do not understand why there is a need to shutdown processes. They are almost all simply setting in a process queue using nothing. Some may be in memory since they have to react rapidly when called but Windows7 only takes about 30% of my 8gb so that is not an issue. Processor load, as I type in Firefox, is 2%. I really see no value fiddling with queued processes.

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

It does depend on how many processes you have and need.

I've gradually decreased my running processes in W7 64 bit down to 26 plus my antivirus.

I know which process I have stopped and what they do and have set some to manual where I have not been certain of their impact.

Gamebooster will shut down unneccesary processes, but nt if you are running a system like mine with very few processes running anyway.

On my old XP machine I think I was down to 15 or 16 processes.

For me, tuning a system this way is essential to get the best out of Flight Simulators.

Usepools=0 is also a great performance (and smoothness) boost if a system is good enough to run it and the affinity mask tweak (14 for quads) keeps things smooth too.

IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

If you follow the Word Not Allowed Guide, Windows has it's processes mostly on Core 0 and FSX on Core 1.2.3.

Quote from Word Not Allowed's Guide:

[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=14

This tweak, on a quad core, moves the FSX onto the Core1 (2nd core), to basically split fibers and main thread. It is good because Windows is usually having its processes on the Core0, so moving to Core1 is giving FSX more breathing space. It is also sacrificing one texture thread, since all that comes after Main Thread are Texture Threads. This means FSX is running with Core0 – Fibers, Core1 – Main Thread, Core2+3 – Texture Threads. That’s OK like that.

For a quad core running HT off, this should be 14.

For a quad core running HT on, this should be 84.

End quote.

I use "End It All" and it seems to help with FRs and stutters.

Really...I will try it, thanks@!

Dont they have freeware programs that shut down all the garbage while youre playing games? I know they do, I just don't know the name and i don't trust just using any random one you know wjat i mean!

there is a free program that you can use to stop and start your processes in windows and that is called "Alacritypc". When you run the program it will show all of your processes that are running. Click on the process that you want to stop and select "stop and restart". Now when you are done with that leave the icon on the desktop. When you want to run FSX, the first thing you do is start "Alacritypc" and it will then shut down your processes that you have checked to start and restart. If you want your antivirus program to stop "Alacritypc" will not shut it down and you will have to do that yourself. This is a free and a safe program to use. Make sure you shut down only the processes that need to be shut down. I am in hopes this may clear a few things up for you and others. FSX is a huge and hungry program and heavy on resources. I use this program and I will swear by it. Click on the banner at the bottom and you will see the CPID of my FSX rig.

Les :hi:

...I seem to get less FPS when they are limited

By limited means you are asking FSX to make a look ahead buffer. If you watch the unlimited fps for the lowest value, then set that, you'll always have a look ahead frame in hand to display when the loading gets heavy and fails to complete a frame. Keeps things smoother, but appears to have halved the fps. I usually set limited to make the rain and snow look better anyway. Stutters are usually Ai aircraft, specially starting up on ATC or taking off\landing, having to load up too much scenery ahead, and other things going on, maybe on the network if you run programs remotely.

I think I tested it a little and limiting the FPS seems to give me mixed results

With limited FPS at 30 i achieved 17 fps in the VC of the NGX using my settings

Setting it to 50 gave me 25.. Unlimitted didn't change that..

Seems to run smoother if/when you hit the limit though.. But thats about it..

With limited FPS at 30 i achieved 17 fps

Precisely; with limited set at 30fps, and only 17fps showing is basically *unlimited* because there's no time left for the buffer. Hence your indeterminate result. Limited is a waste of time if you're not achieving the fps set.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com