Sign in to follow this  
ess8

CAT3 landing in Oslo

I found this video on youtube. Really interesting to hear the captain say that they can follow the slope all the way down to E/D from FL360, i didn't know that was doable but i learn something new everyday :P It is also nice to see how accurate the NG handles a cat 3 landing as they touchdown on the centerline lights of the runway with the following bumping sound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NhDNWWuV9I&feature=share&list=UUTrCYG6C5p6BG41nSKhsTZg

Hi Anton,

Yes, the system tends to be very accurate but wild deviations can occur for many reasons such as doing small S-turns as you approach the threshold and touching down 10-15 feet left or right of the centerline.

The captain, who was flying actually disengaged the autopilot at about 15 feet RA and landed the airplane manually. So, no autoland. You can hear the autopilot disconnect aural warning during the touchdown and rollout. He say's it was too windy but hard to say.

noticed something in the beginning: Isn't 2.1 tons pretty low for reserves ? considering that the weather in Oslo was bad enough to require a CATIII and there was a higher than usual chance of diversion/hold/GA

Isn't 2.1 tons pretty low for reserves ?

Not really...it depends on the alternate...several well equipped ARPTs within the Olso area....Rygge & Torp spRing to mind.

considering that the weather in Oslo was bad enough to require a CATIII and there was a higher than usual chance of diversion/hold/GA

Thing is the WX was actually good...the RWY was visible from at least 1000 agl...perhaps they were attempting an autoland for crew certification or aircraft certification or just for the benefit of the video viewers.

Steve Bell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato (latterly attributed to Saul Bellow)

The most useful tool on the AVSIM Fora ... 'Mark forum as read'

perhaps they were attempting an autoland for crew certification or aircraft certification or just for the benefit of the video viewers.

Yeah, METAR stated broken 4400 feet and vis 10KM. Captain said the Cat III was just for practice.

I did a few cat 3 landings in the NGX today and i may say its really fun even though i dont do anthing, just monitoring what happens and all i had to do was to put the throttles to idle after the "Flare" was shown on the PFD and the plane did the rollout perfectly ^_^

The captain, who was flying actually disengaged the autopilot at about 15 feet RA and landed the airplane manually. So, no autoland. You can hear the autopilot disconnect aural warning during the touchdown and rollout. He say's it was too windy but hard to say.

Yes, my bad but atleast they planed for an autoland :P

perhaps they were attempting an autoland for crew certification or aircraft certification or just for the benefit of the video viewers.

If im not wrong i think the captain said in part one that they can preform a cat 3 landing on the way back to oslo just to show how the minima works or something like that. I paste the vid here